Thursday, June 12, 2014

When taking questions at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins hotel on Nob Hill, Perry was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a disorder.
"I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic," Perry said. "But I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

726

MORE STORIES

What a dolt.

Comments

I'm shocked that someone with Goodhair's relationship with science would feel that way. Shocked, I say.

#1 | Posted by morris at 2014-06-12 01:04 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 4

Man. There goes his shot at that 47%. Que sera sera.

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-06-12 01:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

2: That was weird. Are you suggesting that homosexuals are in Mitt's 47%? That would be weird. Or were you executing a bad joke/a joke that went right over my head? : )

#3 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-12 01:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

I wonder if Perry's genetic coding is that of ----- or moron.

#4 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-12 01:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

Be patient. He's dealing with the Neanderthal gene.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-12 01:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

#3 Went over your head. Mitt said that there were 47% who weren't going to vote for him. I'm pretty sure that included an overwhelming percentage of gay voters. Thus, Perry wasn't pissing off his constituents....

#6 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-06-12 01:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

6: I thought the 47% were moochers in his eyes, not just those who wouldn't vote for him. Hence my initial response. But yes, I would expect that most homosexuals (those who embrace their homosexuality, that is :) ) wouldn't vote for Perry or Romney, or probably any Republican. Most, as we both are saying. Of course, there are gay Republicans and gay conservatives.

#7 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-12 01:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yeah, Mitt meant the "takers", you know active military and senior citizens, not homosexuals.

#8 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-12 01:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

As Governor of Texas, Perry expresses the views held by the majority of folks in his state. Gay folks around the world tend to have a lot of disposable income. The Texas non-hospitality industry must prefer that gay folks spend their tourist dollars somewhere else. And they will

Just last week we read about Big Ed's in Texas "We don't serve ------"

#9 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-12 01:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Thus, Perry wasn't pissing off his constituents....

#6 | Posted by MUSTANG

No, just pandering to them.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-06-12 01:54 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Wait, what is the issue?

I guess i am lost here because if someone says it is a choice they are chastised for it but then if you say it is not a choice you are still attacked?

So basically there is no acceptable position, well if you a republican that is.

#11 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-06-12 02:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess i am lost here

Yep.

#12 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-12 02:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 - Could you, or rather should you remain celibate as a straight person, if a bunch of religious ------- were weirded out by your sexual preferences.

#13 | Posted by schmanch at 2014-06-12 02:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

There are all sorts of predispositions that are not acceptable in society. There should be no issue on having an opinion about any of them, that is what society is. But of course that requires diversity of opinion and that is not acceptable to many.

#14 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-06-12 02:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess i am lost here...
#11 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-06-12 02:09 PM

I quit reading there because after your thesis statement, the rest didn't matter.

#15 | Posted by e1g1 at 2014-06-12 09:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

14: Exactly how is being homosexual harmful to another person or to society? As opposed to, say, being heterosexual? I'm not talking about promiscuity (which exists in all brands of people). I'm talking about the basic "predisposition."

#16 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-12 09:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

So Perry is basically saying homosexual relations are good in moderation, but not every day.

#17 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-06-12 10:11 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

But put gays anywhere near a headline here, and the powder puff brigade shows up with their meat helmets down.

#18 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-13 12:47 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

I don't see the problem either.

So help me out, liberals. Two pretty easy questions:

Is there a genetic predisposition to homosexuality, or not?

Is there a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, or not?

#19 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-13 01:01 AM | Reply | Flag:

So help me out, liberals. Two pretty easy questions:
#19 | POSTED BY WHITEDEVIL

I am definitely NOT a liberal, but I'll take a stab at your questions...

Is there a genetic predisposition to homosexuality, or not?

Maybe. Maybe not. I have yet to see any study that proves the cause for homosexuality. Gay gene? Maybe, but not proven. Subtle and unconscious environmental inputs? Possibly, but not proven. Choice? HIGHLY unlikely IMO.

Is there a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, or not?

Absolutely IMO. Probably so.

Given our current level of understanding, I would say that the 2 are not currently congruent.

#20 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-13 01:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

The question I am wondering is.... Does it matter whether there is a genetic reason for homosexuality? I have never heard a good reasoning for a ban on homosexual marriage even if there was proof that homosexuality was entirely choice and not genetic.

I also don't think that alcoholism is genetic, I feel that people tend to structure their lives based on what they learn from their parents. If they have alcoholic parents, they are more likely to become alcoholics when they become adults. It's possible that there is a genetic link, but I doubt it.

#21 | Posted by mariosanchez at 2014-06-13 05:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Actually, he compared his views on alcoholism to those of his views on homosexuality."

And thereby chose to compare the behavior of a (practicing) alcoholic (damaging to self and pretty much everyone around him/her) to that of a gay person (not damaging to self nor pretty much anyone around him/her). Do you really not see the problem here? Do you really not see what he meant? Wow.

#22 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-13 07:44 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

He uttered 2 sentences in an response to a question. It's not clear what he means because we have only 2 sentences. I know folks who oppose same sex marriage, but they don't believe homosexuality is a disorder.

"Does it matter whether there is a genetic reason for homosexuality? I have never heard a good reasoning for a ban on homosexual marriage even if there was proof that homosexuality was entirely choice and not genetic."

agreed.

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2014-06-13 11:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

He(along with the TX GOP platform) seems to think that homosexuality is something you can go through an AA-type program and be "cured" of. That view isn't backed by much science, but, hey, it's Texas.

#24 | Posted by morris at 2014-06-13 12:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

#24 | POSTED BY MORRIS AT 2014-06-13 12:41 PM | FLAG:

Everybody was playing the auto-tuned hide your kids, hide wife song. Then they found out later that guy decided not to be gay, found religion, got a wife and has a kid on the way. They call that a choice healed by religion, bringing life into the world.

I just call it bi.

#25 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-13 01:26 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"He uttered 2 sentences in an response to a question."

#23 | Posted by eberly

He was going to "utter" a third sentence, but he forgot.

#26 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-06-13 05:47 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#24 | Posted by morris

So you think homosexuality is something that is hard-wired into your DNA, then? Can't be changed? No "nature vs nurture", in your view; it's all nature?

#27 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-14 02:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

27: is heterosexuality something that can be changed? Might you decide tomorrow that you're gay? If not, why not?

#28 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-14 09:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-14 02:35 AM
For most homosexuals, yes. But, I think there's as much variety in human sexuality as there is in any other physical aspect of humans. It's a manifestation of mutation/evolution. Infinite variety. Ain't it great?

#29 | Posted by morris at 2014-06-14 12:35 PM | Reply | Flag: