Wednesday, June 11, 2014

SportsFilter, the sports site run by the same publisher as the Drudge Retort, is running a World Cup 2014 confidence pool. Rank the 32 World Cup teams from top to bottom and receive points when they win or tie based on your ranking. The contest requires a SportsFilter account to enter. First prize is an Adidas Brazuca Glider soccer ball, a replica of the tournament's official game ball.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

I would have preferred to run the contest separately on both sites, but with 27 hours until the first match begins I didn't have enough time.

Comments

I tried to sign up for sportsfilter but for some reason the site would not recognize my URL.

#1 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-11 02:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

WTF is the world cup and who cares?

#2 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-06-11 02:21 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

The WC is the most exciting tournament style sporting event in the world. You don't have to be a wealthy nation to be the best. You don't have be a big nation to be the best. It is the most democratic and nail biting tournament in the world. Which is why it is ALWAYS the most viewed sporting event in the world every four years. Only a xenophobic close-minded ------ who has never spent a moment following the actual tournament (or just doesn't like professional sports in general) yawns at the WC.

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-11 02:26 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

Add a trailing slash to the end and see if that works.

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-11 02:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

okay. I'm in.

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-11 02:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Anyone that religiously follows the World Cup in particular, and soccer in general, most likely bathes irregularly.
I'd say they probably owned a cat at one point, but then got hungry.

#6 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-11 03:53 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

Hey how about them Rangers?

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-11 04:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

I do own a cat. And I do take monthly baths. And I do religiously follow the World Cup. Go figure. Chairborne may be on to something.

#8 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-11 04:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

At least it deserves the word "world" in its title, unlike the world series.

#9 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-06-11 04:11 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I have always hated the Rangers, although messier and graves were among my favorite players back in the day.

My buddy in LA is a kings fan (watches games but is still just learning), so I rooted for them this time (and the last cup) for that reason. Now if the Bruins were still in I'd root for them/the east.

I'm a sabres and leafs fan. It's been tough.

#10 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-11 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

The Bruins were the only team from the East that had any chance at all against whichever team came out of the West.

Will the Kings wrap it up tonight, or do it front of their home fans in Game 5? That is about the only question left in this Stanley Cup Championship.

Go Kings!!

#11 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-11 05:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Monte,
Winning in ny is better for two reasons...
1. You get to celebrate your victory in NYC (sans hangers on)
2. You get to "recelebrate" when you get back to LA

2 parties for the price of one victory.

#12 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-11 05:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

I agree with you, 101. Plus, there's that little detail of what happened to San Jose this year. I bet they wish they would have closed out LA when they had them down 3 games to 0 in Los Angeles.

By the way, did you see this? www.nytimes.com

Buffalo fans rule.

#13 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-11 06:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Plus, there's that little detail of what happened to San Jose this year. I bet they wish they would have closed out LA when they had them down 3 games to 0 in Los Angeles." - MonteCore

Yeah Yeah Yeah...... but thats San Jose's M.O. year in and year out, it was bound to happen to them eventually......

#14 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-11 06:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Monte,
I saw it. I read/google nhl news daily on the net. The Canadian vibe here is pretty strong.
I struggle with whether we are entertainment starved or rabid hockey fans..Truth be told, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. .
My wife has a Sunday subscription to the nyt, but I usually use it for fires and the charcoal chimney (if you grill and don't own one, they're the cat's ass). I read this one online though.

#15 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-11 08:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

The WC is the most exciting tournament style sporting event in the world.

Amen, brother. I was a late convert to soccer, but the World Cup sold me. It's the greatest sporting event, period. American sports fans who still scoff at soccer are missing out.

#16 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-11 10:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

I am not much of a soccer fan.

Having said that I did have an opportunity to attend a game in the early '90's at the Pontiac Silver Dome. It was a 1-1 tie between Sweden and Brazil. The fans were passionate but peaceful. The level of skill and sportsmanship was mind-blowing. It was one of the best sporting events I have ever attended and I've attended a LOT of huge sporting events in my life.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-11 10:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

It was a World Cup game.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-11 10:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

Rangers win 2-1 in an actual sporting spectacle.

#19 | Posted by willowby at 2014-06-11 11:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Rangers win 2-1 in an actual sporting spectacle.

#19 | Posted by willowby

The most recent game I can find says a 6-0 victory... Wait, aren't you talking about baseball?

#20 | Posted by mariosanchez at 2014-06-12 02:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-11 02:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't understand why soccer fans always have to take the attitude of "If you don't think soccer is great then you're a xenophobic moron!"

First of all, soccer is not foreign to Americans. Most American kids are exposed to soccer and millions of them participate in organized soccer. So the "xenophobia" claim doesn't hold any water.

Notice how in your rant you don't touch on the quality of the game itself? The truth is that as a spectator sport, we just don't find it at as exciting as the competition. Baseball and football are slower paced, more strategic games. Basketball and hockey are faster, more exciting games. Obviously, that doesn't speak for everyone but it speaks for many American sports fans.

Also, FIFA is totally corrupt and games are too often decided by inexplicable referee decisions. Maybe there is no connection between the corruption and the blown calls. Maybe its just incompetence. But either way it ruins the tournament for many fans. In both 2006 and 2010, the US team was denied wins by clearly egregious calls. I tend to think this wasn't intentional but it still stains the whole tournament for many American fans. You'd have to be a fool to ignore the role this plays in curbing American interest in this tournament.

To summarize: We are not ignorant about soccer. We just don't find it as interesting as other cultures do. And we're not likely to embrace a tournament where the refs arbitrarily cost our national teams wins. None of this makes us "wrong".

#21 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-12 01:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

The Rangers won Game 4, but in my opinion that was the best game the Kings have played in this series. They dominated everywhere but the scoreboard. (Though the Rangers finally appeared to learn that you are allowed to hit in hockey. They checked better last night than before.)

I predict a Game 5 victory at home for the Kings.

#22 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-12 01:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

"My wife has a Sunday subscription to the nyt, but I usually use it for fires and the charcoal chimney (if you grill and don't own one, they're the cat's ass).
#15 | Posted by 101Chairborne"

We grill a ton, but with propane now. When I used charcoal, I had a charcoal chimney. I agree - the cat's ass. (At least I think I do - the cat's ass - is that a good thing?)

#23 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-12 01:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

I have a chimney for my Weber performer, but it also has a propane starter. Talk about the 'cat's ass'!

I keep the charcoal grill on the patio, thus it doesn't get used in the winter.

I keep my Weber propane grill in the garage and use it year round.

I have done a fair share of smoking on my Weber charcoal. It turns out really good, but it's not truly smoking, it's low temp, indirect-heat grilling. I just got a Smokenator for my kettle and can't wait to try it out. This thing has gotten phenomenal reviews across the board.

I also have a Bradely digital smoker. This thing is awesome as well.

I love grilling and barbequeing!

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-12 01:40 PM | Reply | Flag: