Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Almost one year after a police officer fatally shot a teen who ran away from a Walmart store in Conroe, Texas, a jury has found the officer guilty in the shooting. Former Conroe Police Department Sgt. Jason Blackwelder was found guilty Tuesday of manslaughter, which carries a punishment of no more than 20 years in prison. Russell Rios, 19, ran away from the store on July 31, 2013 after police say he was sought in a shoplifting incident.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

sitzkrieg

MORE STORIES

Comments

Hard to picture what happened based on the poorly written article. I'm assuming the kid was being held for shoplifting and ran out of the store agains the cop's orders and was then shot despite being unarmed.

Part of me understands why so many cops have such a short fuse. They deal with the worst people society has to offer on a daily basis. Even alot of the victims they deal with are idiots.

But on the other hand, if you can't deal with it then you're not cut out for the job. Its not hard to figure out that most people don't want to get arrrested, don't want to lay face down on the floor, don't want to be cuffed, etc, etc, etc. Most of them are not going to make it easy for you and it would be stupid to expect otherwise. So why go into a rage over it? Your job is to arrest criminals whether they cooperate or not. If you can't do the job properly when they don't cooperate then you should find another job.

Even the sterilized scenarios they show on COPS are ridiculous. Five cops running at a guy, three yelling "Get down", two yelling "Put your hands up". Then after they tackle and cuff him they act like their feelings are hurt and demand to know why he didn't immediately follow their conflicting orders that were indecipherable as they were being shouted over one another.

Also, just the expecation that you are expected to lay down on the ground when a cop tells you to is weird to me. Can anyone answer this:

If I'm walking down the street and a cop runs up to me screaming "Get down on the ground!".... Am I breaking the law by not doing so immediately? Because to me, if I haven't even been told that I'm being arrested and what I'm being arrested for then the cops are out of their minds for expecting me to obey their commands like a dog.

#1 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-10 03:41 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Am I breaking the law by not doing so immediately?

When they cannot figure any real charges to hold you on, you will be released and the charges dropped without so much as an explanation or apology.

I once was leaving an event and the police were directing traffic. The office waved me to proceed, then immediately stepped in front of his car yelling STOP and pointing his hand at my car. When I asked why, I was told I was not told it was safe to proceed. I apologized for his mistake and he threatened to haul me downtown to "sort this out". When you ---- up and are wearing a badge, you are never wrong it seems.

#2 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-10 03:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

ard to picture what happened based on the poorly written article.

#1 | POSTED BY SULLY AT 2014-06-10 03:41 PM | FLAG:

The kid ran into the woods, the cop chased him, an altercation of some sort ensued. The cop said he was about to be choked out. Forensics said the 17 year old he was fighting was shot in the back of the head.

#3 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-10 04:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

"If you survive, you will be charged with obstructing "justice" and a handful of other made up laws for not doing what you are told by a ------- with a badge no matter how absurd what they told you to do was."

I know they'll try to invent something. I'm just wondering what the actual law is. I find it hard to believe that you are obligated to follow such instructions if your first contact with the police is someone rushing at you screaming "Lay down!"

#4 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-10 04:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

The cop was off duty.

Better article? www.yourhoustonnews.com

#5 | Posted by et_al at 2014-06-10 06:07 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I didn't know Wal-Mart crap was worth so much.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-06-10 06:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

shop lifter didn't die in walmart (thank god).

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-10 06:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Congratulations Texas.

And Sully, you need to "Stop Resisting!!!"

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-10 06:46 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Shooting a "dreamer" violates our open border policy.

#9 | Posted by pajama_boy at 2014-06-10 07:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

And Sully, you need to "Stop Resisting!!!"

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-10 06:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hehe. I just need to stop watching Cops.

#10 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-10 08:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yes you should probably cut all "Two Minutes of Hate" programming out of your diet.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-10 08:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

People are absolutely correct to worry about people carrying guns: the cops, the army, the cia, fbi, etc, kill far more than idiots like these people.

The function of the propaganda isn't to end gun ownership. It is to end gun ownership of those that power doesn't like, and expand gun ownership for those that do its bidding.

Hitler disarmed the masses. He didn't disarm his thugs. That is the point.

#12 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-06-10 08:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Conroe Texas
The per capita income is $16,841. About 19.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.3% of children.
Explains why the kid was shoplifting at WalMart, I doubt stores like Neiman Marcus would be interested in this prosperous Texas Town

#13 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-10 08:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | POSTED BY SAMMYAZ_RI AT 2014-06-10 08:57 PM | FLAG:

In Conroe the rich people live on the lake, but for high end shopping you have to drive 14 minutes South to The Woodlands.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-10 09:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Texas juries don't like to be lied to, and this cop's story didn't line up with the evidence.

#15 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-06-11 02:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

#16 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-06-11 02:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

"A person in Conroe making 20K a year is living better than any one in Massachusetts making 40K. Rent, taxes, gas, utilities, and food all add up." Unless they get sick then the one in Mass uses his/her health Ins but in Texas there is a very good chance someone making 20k does not have health Ins and the state thinks its more important to make the President fail then take the Fed money to see everyone has ins.

#17 | Posted by THomewood at 2014-06-11 07:04 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I'd debate #16. Gas prices are relatively the same across the nation, which can be a substantial expense for those less well off, but the internet is beginning to equalize other expenses as well. For instance, both of those people could go on amazon or ebay to buy clothes and such anymore.

#18 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-06-11 07:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

#17 | POSTED BY THOMEWOOD AT 2014-06-11 07:04 AM | FLAG:

Healthcare Marketplace & subsidies.

There's no excuse not to have insurance at this point, regardless of income.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-11 07:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

You wanna compare uninsured rates of TX and MA?
I guess Texans are better at making excuses...

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-11 09:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

I though that Lord Obama had made insurance for all? BTW, go to the emergency room anywhere in Texas, let's just say it is mandatory to know Spanish to service the patients.

#21 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-06-11 10:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I'm just wondering what the actual law is.
#4 | Posted by Sully"

Which state?

#22 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-11 02:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Texas juries don't like to be lied to....
#15 | Posted by docnjo"

That's odd. Texans citizens sure slurped up W's lies.

#23 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-11 02:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Which state?

#22 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-11 02:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess I'd be most interested in NJ but I'd be curious to know what the rules are in any state.

Another one that always cracks me up is when the cops lie to someone by saying "Tell me the truth and it will be easier for you". When the truth is "Incriminate yourself and I will screw you to the fullest extent the law allows". Then even though the cop is lying and trying to get the suspect to screw himself over, he acts all butthurt when the suspect responds with a lie. The other day I saw one that even included a false promise of "amnesty", which IMO is going too far and shouldn't be legal either. But it must be OK to do that because they didn't edit it out.

#24 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-11 03:02 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Too bad this is almost always the exception for those in "above the law" enforcement in this country....

#25 | Posted by Postone at 2014-06-11 03:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Conroe police sergeant gets probation for fatally shooting teen

Jurors on Wednesday sentenced a Conroe police sergeant who fatally shot a teenaged burglary suspect in the back of the head to five years probation.
...
Conroe Police Chief Philip Dupuis said Wednesday that Blackwelder's peace officer license will immediately be revoked by the state of Texas, because state law forbids anyone who's convicted of a felony from serving. That will effectively terminate his status of being suspended without pay, the chief said.

#26 | Posted by et_al at 2014-06-11 06:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sully - this is an older, but good, law review article on the subject: digitalcommons.law.scu.edu

(Coincidentally, it references a New Jersey case.)

The law varies widely from state to state both in its language and its interpretation and application. It's hard to generalize. (And it's outside my area of practice, so I'm not going to even try....)

#27 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-11 06:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

This case is a little different than your hypo, but it may be illuminating: law.justia.com

#28 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-11 06:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

Thanks Montecore. Seems like you we might be more obligated to comply with arbitrary orders than I thought, which is annoying.

#29 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-11 08:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

Texas juries don't like to be lied to....
#15 | Posted by docnjo"
That's odd. Texans citizens sure slurped up W's lies.
Actually he was a very successful and popular governor. He actually got a lot of conscious between the parties here. State services were funded and we did not run up any large deficits. "Misunderestimate" is a good term to describe his effectiveness. Comes across like a al'shucks good ol'boy, but is a very skilled politician with clear objectives and a keen since of mission. I do not know what kind of president he would have been if 9-11 had not have happened, but that consumed him. And we all share the blame for all the mistakes made.

#30 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-06-12 03:29 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1