Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Rik Mayall, the British comedian and actor known for the TV shows The Young Ones and Blackadder as well as the 1991 movie Drop Dead Fred, has died. He was 56. Mayall co-wrote Young Ones and portrayed one of the slovenly slackers on the sitcom, which was exported from the U.K. to the U.S. and became an early hit on the MTV cable channel. He also played the lecherous Lord Flashheart on Blackadder. His writing and performing partner Adrian Endmondson said, "There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree, stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him. And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish [bleep]."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

www.youtube.com

RIP

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-10 01:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

The People's Poet has passed on!

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-10 01:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

I never understood the appeal of The Young Ones when I watched it as an MTV addict in the still-a-video-channel days, but I tuned in anyway.

Mayall was funny in that Phoebe Cates movie as her returned imaginary friend.

#3 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-10 02:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

drop dead fred drops dead.

#4 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-10 02:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

"No, not in half an hour you rubber desk Johnny. Send the bitch with the wheels right now or I'll fly back to England and give your wife something hang her towels on." - Lord Flashheart. RIP Rik

#5 | Posted by boyracer_x at 2014-06-10 02:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

The Young Ones, all six episodes or so, was hilarious.
Just the way Rik pronounced his character's name "Rick."
I would imagine most DR right-wingers picture something like Rick when they imagine a liberal.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-10 08:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

Treat your woman like your plane: in and out of her 5 times a day and take her to Heaven and back- Lord Flashheart

RIP. Way too soon.

#7 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-06-11 11:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

Kanrei,
Been a long time, how have you been?

#8 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-06-11 11:30 AM | Reply | Flag: