Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Cincinnati woman diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease is suing her hospital after its staff allegedly posted her medical records on a Facebook page called, "Team No Hoes." In the lawsuit, obtained by WLWT, the unidentified mother claims three employees at UC Medical Center posted a screen shot of her private records in September 2013, revealing her treatment for syphilis. Her suit blames UC Medical Center for not properly supervising its employees, one of which is identified as her ex-boyfriend, Raphael Bradley.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

pirate

MORE STORIES

Comments

I hope every hospital worker who had a hand in this disclosure is looking for work soon.

#1 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-09 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

And once they find work 1/2 of what they make goes to this woman.

#2 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-06-09 05:07 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

This is a pretty significant federal legal violation - not just a 'mere' privacy violation. Federal violation of HIPAA. It big enough deal to warrant a year in jail and a fine of up to $50k. Anyone who was responsible for the leaking or can be proven to have even accessed the records when they had no business looking at them is in trouble. There are audit trails in the systems exactly for this.

Note in the article they did say that an employee in the financial department (and a woman) was fired within days of the allegation and information was reported to the Feds. I am guessing that is the 3rd person. Also note that she I am sure was caught via the audit trail. She may have made copies for the other dummies, but that wasn't proven - at least not yet.

Just something I am pondering - I wonder who brought it home.

#3 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-06-10 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | POSTED BY RCADE

And, unemployment compensation is denied whilst criminal investigations proceed. Results will not look good on a resume nor background investigation.

#4 | Posted by path at 2014-06-10 06:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Just a preview of the headlines to come, when medical records are hackable and there for the taking.

In a few years, medical blackmail will be a booming business. Ever had an abortion? An STD? Did you get a prescription filled for a bottle of stiffies, just before heading out for a long business trip?

It will go to a computerized database, and all they'll need is a Snowden type with a big USB drive, and you'll be getting letters and a place to send a hundred bucks, otherwise it'll be splashed all over the internet.

#5 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-10 08:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-09 04:44 PM | Reply |
#2 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-06-09 05:07 PM | Reply
#3 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-06-10 04:40 PM | Reply
#4 | Posted by path at 2014-06-10 06:36 PM | Reply

It always amazes me how certain individuals in their relativism puff out their chests and are abhorrent about some moral turpitude when they justify, rationalize, and support much greater flagrant abuses.

#6 | Posted by matsop at 2014-06-10 09:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

The dark side of the new information society is that we now have no privacy. Every key stroke, every time one used a credit card, every E-mail builds more profile. Your medical information in the hands of federal bureaucrats, what could go wrong?

#7 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-06-11 02:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

Nothing will go wrong with our lack of privacy as long as we all toe the line. You aren't planning to not toe the line are you?

Our worst president ever won his Senate seat by having "private" divorce records unsealed. His campaign used the prurient information to attack his opponent.

#8 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-06-11 08:00 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Privacy is a very recent concept and one that only exists in a wealthy culture. People make too big of a deal of this.

Hard fact of life is that if something is going on with you there is always someone able to find out about it.

What kind of pig puts up a "Team no ----" FB page except some sore loser who got dumped by someone he believes he is better than. The one's that are really exposed are the loser frauds show the world that even some skanky hoe with a vd didn't want any part of them. It would strike me somethings are best kept .... private.

#9 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2014-06-11 08:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by matsop

Care to elaborate? Personally I am a total privacy advocate. Government or otherwise. Every time you go to a professional for anything there is information. Information is a commodity. The more pertinent or important the more the value. WhiteDevil is right, honestly this has been going on for ever but with the advent of the internet and the giant databases being created...

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-06-11 09:05 AM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | Posted by RightisTrite

I totally disagree with you on that. Totally. People have always had secrets and not just those in wealthy cultures even if it is just a guilty pleasure - like sneaking a nap. Animals have their secrets too.

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-06-11 09:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

I would love for elaboration as well. I have been a libertarian since I could first vote and have always fought privacy issues. I am 99.9% sure you can search my entire posting history and not find a single place where I have ever been for violations of privacy.

You will note I don't even care the names of the people involved in leaking her information. I want them fired and forced to pay restitution and if I never know their names that is fine.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-06-11 09:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

While it is unfortunate, there is no privacy anymore. I think society is going to have to adjust to this fact.

#13 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-06-11 06:25 PM | Reply | Flag: