Saturday, June 07, 2014

A cast of Hollywood stars paid tribute to actress and political activist Jane Fonda as she accepted the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award. Actresses including Meryl Streep, Sally Field, Sandra Bullock and Cameron Diaz saluted the 76-year-old Oscar-winner at Thursday's event in Hollywood. Her late father, actor Henry Fonda, received the AFI award in 1978. Accepting the award, Fonda offered advice on career longevity and said, "Ask questions, stay curious. It's much more important to be interested than to be interesting."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

REDIAL

MORE STORIES

Comments

congrats, Jane.

#1 | Posted by ichiro at 2014-06-07 05:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

Before this turns political, I wanted to note that Fonda is a hell of an actress. Her performances in On Golden Pond, China Syndrome were among my favorites in film of that era, and I have no words to describe Barbarella.

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-07 10:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

Hanoi Jane Bergdahl.

#3 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-07 10:12 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

Before this turns political,
#2 | POSTED BY RCADE

Who us? Never.

#4 | Posted by paneocon at 2014-06-07 10:21 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

She's pretty good in The Newsroom, where she basically plays Ted Turner.

Sorkin is kinda sick that way.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-06-07 10:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

I still do the Jane Fonda workout twice a week. And Obama's trip to the Marriott gym has inspired me to add 12-ounce kettle bells to my routine.

I've also ordered some Jay Carney chick glasses, and soon my transition to full-blown metrosexual will be complete.

#6 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-07 10:51 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

"A cast of Hollywood stars paid tribute to actress and political activist Jane Fonda"

Before this turn political? The headline admits its political..

She is a political activist!!

She has not done anything that great I can remember. They are giving here the reward for her political actions.

I am surprised she is not working for the White House

#8 | Posted by tmaster at 2014-06-07 12:34 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Jane was speaking truth to power when it wasn't fashionable, as did John Kerry to Congress.

A well-deserved award.

Ignorant rwing boot polishers notwithstanding.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-07 12:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

obligatory

www.youtube.com

#10 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-07 12:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

Time has not made the war in Vietnam right if anything many that were involved have come to terms that it was a big mistake. Jane was right even if you do not like how she protested against the war. I am someone that served as the war was coming to an end and we could not wear our uniforms in public when off duty because of the hate of our military it took years for minds to change, thank god the men and woman coming home today are not blamed for the folly of those that got us into these last two wars.

#11 | Posted by THomewood at 2014-06-07 01:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

A friend that knows here, lived by her, has nothing good to say about her. She may be good at acting, but is not someone to be admired in any other way.

#12 | Posted by sames1 at 2014-06-07 01:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by Corky

Thx Corky. Good post.

#13 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-06-07 02:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

Good for her. But she still ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-07 02:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

#12 | Posted by sames1

The veterinarian that looks after my uncle's horses knows her and says she is quite nice.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-06-07 02:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Was your uncles vet NVA? Hell, the NVA loved her.

#16 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-07 02:56 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Casting Jane Fonda as Mrs. Beirut Bonzo in The Butler was some epic trolling.

#17 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2014-06-07 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

My American Legion post honors Jane Fonda. We have her picture prominently displayed ... in the urinals.

#18 | Posted by willowby at 2014-06-07 04:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Posted by willowby

Well I have a George Bush urinal, so there!

#19 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-07 04:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Good for you Nulli. Whatever traitorous swine floats your boat.

#20 | Posted by willowby at 2014-06-07 04:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Good for you Nulli. Whatever traitorous swine floats your boat."

You should spell your name "Willoughby", since you're in the twilight zone.

#21 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-07 04:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Nice reference Nulli. I have the entire collection on DVD. Next stop, Willoughby.

#22 | Posted by willowby at 2014-06-07 04:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

Viet Jane. Bad workout videos.
The Bar-barella has apparently been lowered.

#23 | Posted by e1g1 at 2014-06-07 05:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | Posted by willowby

Why not LBJ? He's the guy who lied us into that war.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-07 07:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

I have no words to describe Barbarella

Puberty causing.

Funny how the same crew that cheered Bush working for the mad ayatollahs in removing Saddam and handing them Iraq are so bent out of shape about Fonda saying what everybody now knows to be true - the Viet Nam war was a long term and expensive clustertuck. Snoofy, LBJ was not the first President to dig the graves in VN, just the first one to do it wholesale.

#25 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-06-07 11:05 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Sure, but the Gulf of Tonkin Incident and subsequent Resolution was LBJ's fabricated casus belli and things went steadily downhill from there.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-08 12:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

.... The Fraudulent Gulf of Tonkin Incident!

**** Anybody who backed and supported the Phony and Illegal Vietnam War are the real TRAITORS not Jane Fonda or anybody else who Stood Up Against those Thieving,Murdering Criminals in the US Govt and the Pentagon!!!

#27 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-06-08 03:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

Anybody who backed and supported the Phony and Illegal Vietnam War are the real TRAITORS...Thieving,Murdering Criminals in the US Govt and the Pentagon!!!
#27 | Posted by AntiCadillac
Going to call you on she not a traitor part. It is one thing to hate any war and they should be avoid at all cost, it is one thing to go after those responsible for the war to begin with. Yet the BS she pulled that got Americans killed and her smug comments to those who were sent over to fight said illegal war. Well I hope when her time come that Karma comes a knocking ten fold.

#28 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-06-08 09:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

her bio .... clearly a nut who seeks attention....

www.dailymail.co.uk

hmm. ... did somebody switch the Agent Orange for Tang?

#29 | Posted by Pegasus at 2014-06-08 01:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

"She may be good at acting, but is not someone to be admired in any other way."

Given that this is from the American FILM Institute, uh, yeah.

"The Bar-barella has apparently been lowered."

Okay, that got a wry mini-chuckle.

"Yet the BS she pulled that got Americans killed and her smug comments to those who were sent over to fight said illegal war."

I honestly know little about this (though I'm well aware of the hatred aimed at her). Can you explain, in 25 words or less, how her actions got Americans killed?

#30 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-08 08:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

.... "Yet the BS she pulled that got Americans killed and her smug comments to those who were sent over to fight said illegal war. Well I hope when her time come that Karma comes a knocking ten fold."

**** ACTUALLY it was Flag Waving,Brown Noser Morons just like YOU who like Spineless Jellyfish went along with the PHONY & ILLEGAL Vietnam War in the first place that GOT Innocent Americans and GOT many many times more Innocent Vietnamese KILLED! Jane Fonda Stood Up against that Phony,Illegal War that got all your so called Comrades Killed or Gravely Wounded whereas all YOU did was Grovel To and SUCK UP to the Criminal Power that Instigated this Illegal War.YOU and your brainlessly patriotic pals pathetically waved that sleazy,blood soaked flag as you CHEERED on the Carnage and Death! You're the ones..the Willing War Whores who are responsible - you're the ones who got all these people killed not Jane Fonda! How Totally Screwed Up do you have to be to think that that's any kind of Real Accomplishment let alone qualifies as Patriotic Heroism?

#31 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-06-09 12:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

I didn't agree with you, until I saw the run-sentences, the all-caps, and the exclamation marks.

But now, for some reason, I want to get my picture taken with NVA. READ THE LITTLE RED BOOK! PUNCH A POW IN THE FACE!!!!!

Oops. Got some spittle on the keyboard. Foamy.

#32 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-09 12:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

I thought a Lifetime Achievement Award is intended for someone like an Eastwood or a John Williams, who have many decades of work.

Hanoi Jane hasn't been in a movie since I was in high school. Maybe she should get a Half of a Lifetime Achievement Award. Or a Wasted Second Half Of A Lifetime Award.

#33 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-09 03:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Hanoi Jane hasn't been in a movie since I was in high school."

No? Well, Jane Fonda certainly has:

www.imdb.com

And some of them were even critically acclaimed.

Many decades? Barring a break from 1990 to 2005, Fonda has been working as an actress since 1960. That's only five years fewer than Eastwood. Oh, and John Williams is a hack. He works a lot, but it's all the same. I'm not a Fonda fan, but she is more deserving of a lifetime achievement award.

#34 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-09 07:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

And some of them were even critically acclaimed.

Wow. High praise indeed.

#35 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-09 09:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

35: The point was, your facts were wrong. She worked steadily for thirty years, took a break, then worked steadily for another ten. Clint started five years before her, Williams four. Your time comparison is inaccurate and pointless.

I already said I'm not a fan, so your "quip" on "critically acclaimed" was meaningless. Do you even care what critics say? Given your comments on the thread, I'd infer that the answer is no.

But I'll say this for you: You haven't gotten all worked up over her politics. Kudos!

#36 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-09 09:34 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Jane was right even if you do not like how she protested against the war."

This is an oft repeated strawman. Lots of people protested the war and didn't face the backlash Fonda did. Why you may ask?

Because the backlash againt Fonda was not for simply protesting the war. It was for doing a PR tour for the enemey. Whatever you think about the war, you'd have to be a sick maniac to think the North Vietnamese cause was worth supporting. But there was Jane posing with the smiling troops and straddling a gun that would be aimed at Americans.

THAT is why she is hated. It was wrong and will always be wrong no matter how many times her apologists try to muddy the issue by pretending she was simply another protestor.

#37 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-09 09:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

And by the by, not all of Clint's movies were critically acclaimed either (particularly as an actor). And John Williams? If his work was critically acclaimed, I'd have to wonder why--boring and repetitive boring and repetitive boring and repetitive.

#38 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-09 09:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Some of them were critically acclaimed" is about the lamest endorsement I can imagine. If you want to say Jane is a fantastic actress, go ahead. On Golden Pond was the last thing anyone remembers without the courtesy of the IMDB, and that was when Reagan was president. Did she do anything like Gran Torino lately, as Eastwood did? Anything like Million Dollar Baby, or Unforgiven, or Flags--all after the age of 70? Does she direct movies? Is she a producer, who bankrolls her own war films? Because Clint has been doing that for the last 15 years, and didn't take a 20-year vacation in between the last thing he did and the "critically acclaimed" stuff that they throw old actresses' way to make them seem more relevant and watchable than they really are.

I think you just like to hear yourself talk. So go ahead. Blah blah blah.

#39 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-09 10:31 AM | Reply | Flag:

You said "Hanoi Jane hasn't been in a movie since I was in high school." That is factually incorrect. You cannot logically be entirely wrong in one assertion and then bust me for a "lame endorsement" (which I never said was an endorsement; no actor is always critically acclaimed). And since when does a lifetime achievement award have to be for hyphenated talents? Bizarre.

And again, I'm not a fan, but this is hardly a crazy move by AFI. Jane Fonda is a long-time movie star who looms large on the pop-culture-historical landscape. Clint Eastwood is very deserving of a Lifetime Achievement Award, and he got one from AFI in 1996 (www.afi.com). This makes your call to Eastwood even funnier.

#40 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-09 10:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

Prag, not as funny as "John Williams is a hack". Personally, I like A. Newman, Tiomkin, Morricone, Barry, and the unglorified North, but its practically unanimous that Williams is the greatest movie composer of all time.

#41 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-06-09 01:24 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"its practically unanimous that Williams is the greatest movie composer of all time."

Maybe in your world. I know not a single person who would say that. Well, not as far as I know. :) And regardless, everyone is entitled to my opinion. :)

And what's not as funny? I feel like I missed something there.

#42 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-09 01:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

Oh, I get it now. I said his silly comment about Eastwood (who already has an award) was "funnier"... See, I said I missed something.

But see, my comment was opinion; he tried to make facts happen.

#43 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-06-09 01:37 PM | Reply | Flag: