Friday, June 06, 2014

Cameraphones ruin moments, forever. A recent study says so but we all already know it. In the middle of quality time with our family, we scramble for our phone such that we focus not on the beautiful, moving, enriching moments, but on the self-referential act of capturing them. Then we take a picture that never gets printed, and rarely gets seen, and are left with a compromised memory of a compromised event on top of it.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

AndreaMackris

MORE STORIES

I found the thought above and interesting observation, a couple of the other thoughts pretty interesting.....

Comments

The ones that make me crazy are those who must take pictures of their food before eating.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-06-06 03:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

"A recent study says so but we all already know it"

If you already know all this ---- why then do you still do it?

I guess you are now also a hapless victim -------- of your phone

"How many wake up and check their phones? computers? email? How many moments have you missed capturing the moment?"

None, cause I exercise some self-control, (aka personal responsibility)

#2 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2014-06-06 03:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Technology does not ruin moments, it is the owner's own addiction to the technology that ruins it.

I have personally found it to be a liberating experience. I no longer carry around an SLR for everyday occurrences as my cell phone has just as many megapixels as it and takes a great photo to boot. Now the SLR is only used for vacations or special events.

You are right about the photo never printed issue. Many are just taken, stored on an SD card or hard drive or worse yet cell phone and forgotten forever.

I put all my digital images in folders labeled by year_month. Once a month I take the memory stick from my digital frame and copy the best and most important photos onto it and then view them through that.

With any technology it is not the technology that is disruptive, but rather how it is used. I am sure the same issue was lamented when TV's where wheeled into kitchens during the 50's and 60's to watch while eating dinner. The human race survived that, we will survive this.

#3 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-06 03:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

"How many "moments" have you missed when spending 24/7 playing the victim on the internet?"

LOL!

#4 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-06 03:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

"TVs in restaurants tell us our lives are inadequately interesting. It used to be that you had to go to a sports bar if you wanted to watch TV in public. Now TVs seem to be everywhere. Their message is clear: You, and what you have to say, is not quite interesting enough to sustain the attention of the person you are with. They need distractions to bear being with you. And television, a world where everyone is an entertainer, is the distraction par excellence."

It's sickening. TVs are in every reception area, doctors offices, etc. Who needs to hear that mindless blather?

#5 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-06 03:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

"With any technology it is not the technology that is disruptive"

Technology is not neutral. It imposes changes on society and forces people to adapt to it. This has been documented numerous times by writers like Neil Postman, Lewis Mumford, Jacque Ellul and others.

innovate.ucsb.edu

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-06 03:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | POSTED BY 726

I consider this a rising of the baseline, not a flatline response.

First TV was a distraction from interaction. But it was fixed.
Then computers, and everyone went to their rooms.

#2 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES

I have missed quite a few, you haven't? How sad....

#7 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-06 04:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

Then computers, and everyone went to their rooms.

It doesn't have to be that way if you take personal responsibility and don't allow it.

#8 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-06 04:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

726, MP do not equal having an SLR. Look up the specs on the receptors on your phone and you will see it does not have the depth of field you get out of a DSLR of even half the pixels.

#9 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-06-06 04:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | POSTED BY 726

This is what I love about the Internet....

I am not sure where you and ChiefCutAndPaste, live. Perhaps living the perfect little lives in your perfect little boxes.........

Its not that it doesn't have to be that way, hence the "victim", but that is the way it is. Its not me allowing it or not, I have no skin in the game. But it is what is happening to families all across America. Are we going to pass a regulation?

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-06 04:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

I am only tied to the world electronically during business hours. After that everything goes off.

If you want to call me you have to do it the old fashion way; one ringy dingy, two ringy dingy, and if you announce yourself I will answer.

#11 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-06-06 05:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

I love the new media because it no longer lets the mainstream [lamestream] media get away with distortions, lies, and omissions. For example. I wonder how many of the 'major media will report this story: D-Day Veteran Politely Declines obama Invitation

www.nationalreview.com

BUT, if it ha happened to President Bush it would have been a leading major story and headlines in every major 'lib newspaper.

Do not believe me? Just watch ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, and check the NY Times and Washington Post, etc., as if I had not posted about it here you would never have heard about it.

#12 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-06-06 07:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

Unbelievable...technology changing the way people do stuff.

Like Bobby D says: "You'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone, for the times they are a'changing."

#13 | Posted by Dave at 2014-06-06 10:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I love the new media because it no longer lets the mainstream [lamestream] media get away with distortions, lies, and omissions."

It also allows people to go on irrelevant political rants in threads where they never read the subject article.

#14 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-06-07 10:54 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Cameras aren't new. Why is it a cell phone camera is the only camera that diminishes the memory? Wasn't the point of the instamatic because people were taking pictures and never getting them developed? I'm sure instant gratification played a role too, but spare me the doom and gloom on cell cameras.

Btw, I can take a photo or video with my cell, but its never top of mind. Some people go to it almost reflexively. I don't get it, but it's there for all to see.

#15 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-07 11:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

If you read the article, Chair, you'll see that cameras are just one of a host of technologies that are being criticized for diminishing, digitizing and trivializing daily life.

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-07 11:35 AM | Reply | Flag: