Friday, June 06, 2014

Frantic zoo keepers in Tenerife rushed to call an ambulance after a vet shot a tranquilizer dart at a man dressed as a gorilla. Police on the Spanish island received a call from a panicked member of the public, who said that a gorilla had escaped from its pen in Loro Park zoo and was seen running around the theme park. A vet was called, and on spotting the creature fired a tranquilizer dart at its leg with enough sedative to fell a 440-pound beast. But to his horror, the vet -- who had only been in the job for two months -- realized that the creature was in fact an employee of the zoo dressed in a gorilla suit, who was staging a mock escape to practice their emergency routines.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

sitzkrieg

MORE STORIES

Well ... the escape routine worked.

Comments

Academy Award material there, Bongo.

#1 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-06-05 04:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Darwin? Darwin?

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-05 04:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

They conducted a drill with unaware guests in the park?

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-05 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

Remind any one of Trading Places?

Trading places scene

You to could build this into a senate run.

#4 | Posted by paneocon at 2014-06-05 04:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Apes have a totally different gate to their walk than men. This veterinarian must have studied at one of Arizona's many online "diploma mills" pay your tuition and a degree a guaranteed

#5 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-05 04:51 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Well it just keeps getting better...

"Man shot with tranquilliser dart at Tenerife zoo 'was not wearing gorilla suit'
Spanish zoo denies that zookeeper shot with tranquilliser dart was wearing gorilla suit during drill"

#6 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-06 09:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

I've seen vidoes of those escape drills and the guy playing the animal does not wear a costume.

#7 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-06 09:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

I've never seen a gorilla suit that looks convincing. They seem to be joke items. Even a character from the original planet of the apes movie would be recognized immediately as a person in costume.

I'm guessing this was a simple case of not realizing the dart gun was loaded.

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-06-06 11:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

Or even a prank gone bad.

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-06-06 11:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I've never seen a gorilla suit that looks convincing."

I'm sure it was obvious to everyone else but as a toddler I once believed a guy in a gorilla suit at a circus was a real gorilla. Did not react well when he came at me. I'm not proud of this but when I read this headline I kind of thought "good" before reason took over. I guess I'm holding a grudge.

#10 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-06 12:07 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

ho hum... Here in Texas, it's old news...

www.cbsnews.com

Remember that the dart was set up for a 300 lb gorilla...

...which tells me that the vet was feeling mighty good for a mighty long time.

#11 | Posted by Pegasus at 2014-06-06 12:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Update: According to the Zoo, the person shot was not wearing a gorilla suit.

www.telegraph.co.uk

#12 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-06-06 12:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

And from to summarize from that article... Careless vet who doesn't follow gun safety accidentally discharged the dart into the guy.

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-06-06 01:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | POSTED BY SULLY AT 2014-06-06 12:07 PM | FLAG:

The same thing happened to my brother, but replace "gorilla" with "clown"

#14 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-06-06 05:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Headline just keeps making me laugh!

#15 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-06-06 07:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Waste of a good tranquilizer dart, they should have just tossed him one of Maureen Dowd's pot brownies.

#16 | Posted by paneocon at 2014-06-07 10:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

Play stupid games, win stupid prices.

#17 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-06-07 11:33 PM | Reply | Flag: