Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Maureen Dowd: For an hour, I felt nothing. I figured I'd order dinner from room service and return to my more mundane drugs of choice, chardonnay and mediocre-movies-on-demand. But then I felt a scary shudder go through my body and brain. I barely made it from the desk to the bed, where I lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours. I was thirsty but couldn't move to get water. Or even turn off the lights. I was panting and paranoid, sure that when the room-service waiter knocked and I didn't answer, he'd call the police and have me arrested for being unable to handle my candy.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

"one or two bites" incapacitates her for 8 hours? LOL.

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-04 08:30 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

She's out of it naturally.

#2 | Posted by 88120rob at 2014-06-04 09:15 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

HAHAHAHA! Newb!

#3 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-06-04 09:15 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"I lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours."

I bet anyone who has to spend signifigant amounts of time with Maureen Dowd on a regular basis is ordering cases of this stuff.

#4 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-04 09:23 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Crazy delusional is her normal state of mind. The weed straightened her out, she was probably thinking clearly for the first time in many years.

#5 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-06-04 10:15 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Some people really can't handle it. She should probably abstain.

#7 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-06-04 11:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

That video clip is hilariously fitting BTW..

#8 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-06-04 11:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

One thing's for sure, eating cannabis products has a drastically different effect than smoking or vaping.

#9 | Posted by Dave at 2014-06-04 12:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

She ate the whole bar. Common mistake with edibles. You eat a bit, nothing happens for 30-45 mins and you eat more. Then the first bit comes on and, before you know it, you're too ---- high. She'd have been better off smoking or vaporizing, especially if she's a rookie.

#10 | Posted by morris at 2014-06-04 01:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Vaping is the best way for newbies to start out. It has the lowest concentration of THC and is not harsh on the lungs. All she needed was enough to lift her feet off the ground a little (which vaping does perfectly). She went about medicating herself the same way people with severe pain and nausea do - comatose style.

If she were new to drinking alcohol, would it be wise that she start off with shots of 151? I think not. She should have been more paranoid from the get go. A scientist she does not make.

#11 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-04 01:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

...and orange fingers to boot.

#12 | Posted by tiger150 at 2014-06-04 01:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

I think it's funny she blames the lack of warning on the packaging. She's a ------- journalist, is she not? What kind of journalist ingests anything before studying up on the a substance's variations? Or potential to harm? Was she going off the assumed misnomer that "pot is perfectly safe"?

I just don't understand why she's trying to make a point that the industry is flawed when it was her poor journalistic skills (what I would consider common sense for an adult) that put her in the paralyzed position that she experienced.

#13 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-04 01:18 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

She pulled a Goatman.

You're supposed to eat one piece, not the whole bar.

Perhaps they need to package this stuff in airplane-size doses for people who can't figure out you're not supposed to drink the entire bottle of Scotch at once.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-04 01:41 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

#13 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-04 01:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

She is a fool, no doubt. But even if she had done some research, it may not have worked out well for her. People who take this stuff regularly are pretty bad at advising others on it. I wouldn't be surprised if she asked at the shop and was just given poor advice.

I can remember a friend of mine pretty much passing out at a bar for three hours because he ate too much of a chocolate bar. Another friend from CA had brought it and when we asked how much we should take he gave us the typical bad answer: "This is how much I take". The guy who ended up passing out probably had the lowest tolerance and he took the same amount as experienced user, ignoring my suggestion that he take a third as much. I took about half of what they did and aside from a 20 min period that was a bit intense, I enjoyed myself.

#15 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-04 01:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I was conducting an interview mentioned that candy bars like that are supposed to be cut into 16 pieces for novices; but that recommendation hadn't been on the label."

That label isn't on a bottle of Scotch either.
Live and learn.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-04 01:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Where does it say she ate the whole bar? The article seems to be intentionally vague about how much she ate but it definitely infers that it wasn't much.

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-04 01:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

"She pulled a Goatman.
#14 | Posted by snoofy"

"She is a fool, no doubt.
#15 | Posted by Sully"

Flag: Mean

#18 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-04 02:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Marijuana: what could happen, right?

#19 | Posted by e1g1 at 2014-06-04 03:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

The article is pretty funny (as is the "Breakfast Club" clip), but I also see her point. Dosage information on the package would help. The industry should come together and create some basic guidelines. Have some fun with the wording, but still, give people a little guidance.

#20 | Posted by cbob at 2014-06-04 04:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Apparently she was guzzling wine at the same time. She's not to smart, people that dumb probably do need to be protected from themselves. This could set the legalization movement back a bit. Go to the article and the the comments. Most are anti-legalization and they're written by liberals.

#22 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-06-04 04:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

Most are anti-legalization and they're written by liberals.

#22 | Posted by visitor

Wow! You can tell that most of the anti-legalization comments were made by liberals, even when there's no indication and they're anonymous internet posters? That's amazing!

#23 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-06-04 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 AT 2014-06-04 01:14 PM | FLAG:

Vaping plant matter maybe... but the world is moving on to concentrates. Wax, oil, budder, whatever people want to call it. 99.7% thc, 5-15% total cannaboids (still mostly THC). Those are no joke. It's like an entire, high quality joint in 1 hit, every hit, hit after hit after hit. Not for lightweights.

#24 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-04 05:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

Dosage information on the package would help.

Should we put that on alcohol and cigarettes too?
Bring on the nanny state!

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-04 05:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

#23 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT AT 2014-06-04 04:44 PM | FLAG:

I'm not professing any special abilities, you could too if you read them.

#26 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-06-04 05:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm confused. Are liberals pro-tobacco or anti-tobacco these days? Pro-nanny state or anti-regulation?

#27 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2014-06-04 06:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | Posted by bogey1355

Yes, YOU are.

DO NOT eat the cannabis candy.

It won't help you.

#28 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-04 06:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sounds like a 21 year old who got ahold of a bottle of vodka for the first time and got sick... Immature BS. It's funny how people think that because something is legal they don't need to research how to use it properly, and when they mess up they start pointing fingers. One day people will take responsibility for their own stupid mistakes. At least I hope so.

#29 | Posted by Trouting at 2014-06-04 07:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Dosage information on the package would help.

Should we put that on alcohol and cigarettes too?
Bring on the nanny state!

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-04 05:13 PM

If they are going to sell the stuff as "medicine" then, yes, dosage info on the label would certainly seem appropriate. Once you get it home, if you are experienced, you are free to ignore that info and get as wasted as necessary. But, as there are now a bunch of rookies getting into this, a little helpful advice from the manufacturer would not be a bad idea at all.

#30 | Posted by morris at 2014-06-04 07:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

a little helpful advice from the manufacturer would not be a bad idea at all.

#30 | Posted by morris at 2014-06-04 07:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

You mean it may actually be good for the manufacturer if people enjoyed their products instead of freaking out?

#31 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-04 08:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

a little helpful advice from the manufacturer would not be a bad idea at all.

#30 | Posted by morriS

Like... Make sure you ladies have a good man around to help you "handle your candy".

Choice video clip.

#32 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-04 09:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

The worst problem I've ever had with edibles was getting the munchies. With nothing around to eat but more edibles. Poor, poor planning. Don't let it happen to you! Nothing but out a bunch of money and a whole day wishing you could just reach the damn remote control.

#33 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-06-04 10:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

She freaked out because in a moment of mental clarity she realized that Obama really isn't that great of a president and it blew her mind.

#34 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-06-04 10:40 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#29 | Posted by Trouting

Reading most warning labels makes me pessimistic.

#35 | Posted by mariosanchez at 2014-06-04 11:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

But it turns out, five months in, that some kinks need to be ironed out with the intoxicating open bar at the Mile High Club.

Mile High club? I thought she was in a hotel?
How many guys did she take on over that 5 month period?

#36 | Posted by Marty at 2014-06-05 09:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

Dosage information on the package would help.

Should we put that on alcohol and cigarettes too?
Bring on the nanny state!

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-04 05:13 PM

Oh please. Weed is different. The THC content varies wildly. Alcohol does have the proof listed, so you know more or less what you're up against. Cigarettes are really not germane, because they don't have the same intoxicating effect.

#37 | Posted by cbob at 2014-06-05 02:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

I remember trying it so many years ago. Yep, felt the effect, and found it to be profoundly boring. Same thing for the pain meds I've had a couple times over the decades after surgeries.

Same for booze buzzes, although I do find wine or beer to be good with certain foods, but the alcohol effect is pointless to me. Actually even annoying, because you can't drive until it is long gone.

If there is such a thing as a NON-addictive personality, I've got it. (although I'll admit I have not bothered to rigorously test it).

#38 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-06-05 08:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

#31 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-04 08:17 PM | Reply |

Yeah. Paranoid and curled in the fetal position is probably not the image they had in mind for the advertising.

#39 | Posted by morris at 2014-06-05 09:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Should we put that on alcohol and cigarettes too?
Bring on the nanny state!
#25 | Posted by snoofy"

Isn't alcohol content already on the label?

#40 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-06 05:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Isn't alcohol content already on the label?"

Not usually on beer, but on hard liquor, yes. Lab-tested cannabis products are the wave of the future and can be found in your finer Cali cannabis shops.

#41 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-06 05:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Can you even get drunk on beer though?
Yee hawwww!