Monday, June 02, 2014

Researchers have erased and reactivated memories in rats, profoundly altering the animals' reaction to past events. The study is the first to show the ability to selectively remove a memory and predictably reactivate it by stimulating nerves in the brain at frequencies that are known to weaken and strengthen the connections between nerve cells, called synapses. "We can form a memory, erase that memory and we can reactivate it, at will, by applying a stimulus that selectively strengthens or weakens synaptic connections," said Roberto Malinow, senior author of the study.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

HeliumRat

MORE STORIES

Comments

They didn't tell us the restore part on "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"!

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2014-06-01 09:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ahh, beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!

Wait, it's not about that?

#2 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-06-01 11:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

thats pretty amazing, considering the idea that its network. But also from what I have read is we only remember a small portion of an event and fill it in, with "realtime" processing.

Also, I took a ride in a GoogleCar. Its not ready for prime time, but very interesting sitting there with no one "in control".

Has many uses, but still not ready for prime time, have to imagine the lobbying going on to make it legal.

#3 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-02 12:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

...but very interesting sitting there with no one "in control".

I wouldn't be able to enjoy the ride for that reason. I would forever be worrying it would do the equivalent of the blue screen of death resulting in my own.

#4 | Posted by goatman at 2014-06-02 12:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

That was exactly what I was feeling. I would think though it would raise the baseline, and I would feel somewhat comfortable to get on my computer and do .......

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-02 01:54 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

They should have done this to "I don't recall" Reagan...or Hillary.

#6 | Posted by shirtsbyeric at 2014-06-02 12:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2014-06-01 09:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yeah, I thought of that movie as well. Great flick.

This is freaky stuff. We think of our brains as our internal identity. To have it manipulated electrically to alter our memories just sounds so strange. Could be good news for Alzheimer's patients.

#7 | Posted by cbob at 2014-06-02 04:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Can they put voters through this process so they start remembering what politicians do between election years?

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-02 04:58 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

@ Tor

The Repubs are way ahead of you. They erased the base's memory of GOP deficit spending as soon as a Obama was elected to the White House.

#9 | Posted by censored at 2014-06-02 06:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

This erasing & restoring memory is scary ---...obviously about implanting false memories.
These scientists should get a real job, manual labor.

The Google car does what...35, 25mph? They're going to clog the streets & cause a lot road rage, which will be the rager's fault, cause, hell, we SHOULD be driving 25mph...according to Big Brother, and very very old people.

#10 | Posted by kenx at 2014-06-02 08:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

I wish that I could erase just about every thing from my 14th birthday to my 30th, from my memory ..LOL (except my farter's high school graduation when he was 66 years old)

#11 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-02 08:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

Line up Republicans, it's time to forget the Presidency of George W. Bush. You'll feel like brand new ideologues.

#12 | Posted by danni at 2014-06-02 08:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Line up Republicans, it's time to forget the Presidency of George W. Bush.

#12 | POSTED BY DANNI

LOL Says the lady who pukes out "Bush's fault" eighteen times a day as her favorite deflection. I'll remind you of this post next time you fail to "forget the Presidency of George W. Bush", danni.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2014-06-02 08:51 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

There is no need for a soul or an afterlife in this scheme of things.

#14 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-06-03 03:49 PM | Reply | Flag: