Sunday, June 01, 2014

Farhad Manjoo, New York Times: I just spent more than a week experiencing Soylent ... a drink mix invented by a group of engineers who harbor ambitions of shaking up the global food business. Robert Rhinehart, the 25-year-old co-founder and chief executive of the firm selling the drink, hit upon the idea when he found himself spending too much time and money searching for nutritious meals while he was working on a wireless-tech start-up in San Francisco. ... You can live on Soylent alone, Rhinehart claims, though in practice he said customers would most likely use it to replace just their "staple meals," by which he meant most of the junk you eat every day to fill yourself up. Mr.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

I think they need another name for this stuff....

#1 | Posted by catdog at 2014-06-01 09:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

Is English not their first language?

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-01 09:34 AM | Reply | Flag:

It's people!

#3 | Posted by danni at 2014-06-01 09:47 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Artificial Tofu.

#4 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2014-06-01 09:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

Ah ... what's it made of? Is it green?

#5 | Posted by lel2007 at 2014-06-01 11:05 AM | Reply | Flag:

Yaaaaa the whole problem would be in the name...

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-06-01 11:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

I think the name is hilarious, myself. Also, if they can manage their goals of continuing to reduce cost while improving quality as a food source, this could be an amazing boon to the poor. Not just this nation's. In various articles, I've heard the creator of this stating that he'd ultimately like it to be as available and cheap as staples of beans and rice. Only more nutritional. That's a seriously worthwhile goal.

I'll hold off myself. Real food is just too much of a joy for me - also, I have my personal supplementing regimen dialed in out of better products, and that would just throw it all off.

It's the little things if you're supplementing for not just minimal but optimum health that are why I think a lot of studies keep showing no benefit from taking a multi. Soylent and most multi vitamins for instance, use magnesium oxide for their magnesium source. IIRC, you absorb like 4% of that - the rest more or less turns to milk of mag in your intestines. Useless. But, it's a cheap source. I take magnesium malate, a chelate that is almost wholly absorbed. Extra vitamin D and K2. Recently added large doses of extended release C - not for antioxidant, which may well be useless, but to enhance collagen building because my workout routines often end in tendonitis. Either it or the placebo, lol, I do not care which - seems to be helping. Beyond that - try and get the rest from natural foods. Which a diet wholly of soylent would sadly eliminate.

But, hey. I have the time and good luck to be able to obsess over stuff like that. For those less fortunate - any advance is a good thing.

#7 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-06-01 12:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Zero:

Which D are you suposed to take? I take D3 but can never remember if that is the best one or not.

Oh on topic this sounds like a cool supplement and the name is fine for people with a sense of humor but I can see how it would be off putting to some. If they could get it down to about a buck fity I would consider it as 1 meal a day replacement.

#8 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-06-01 12:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Supposedly that's the right one, since I think that is what your body converts D2 into - but...

Mushrooms can provide as much vitamin D as supplements
Date:
April 22, 2013
Source:
Boston University Medical Center
Summary:
Researchers have discovered that eating mushrooms containing Vitamin D2 can be as effective at increasing and maintaining vitamin D levels (25–hydroxyvitamin D) as taking supplemental vitamin D2 or vitamin D3.

Researchers from Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) have discovered that eating mushrooms containing Vitamin D2 can be as effective at increasing and maintaining vitamin D levels (25-hydroxyvitamin D) as taking supplemental vitamin D2 or vitamin D3. These findings will be presented at the American Society for Biochemistry and Microbiology annual meeting in Boston on April 22 and also concurrently appear in Dermato-Endocrinology on line open access.
Vitamin D is crucial for good bone health and muscle strength; adequate amounts help the body maintain bone density reducing the risk of fracture, osteomalacia, osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. The nutrient also plays an integral role in modulating the immune system to help fight infections like the flu and reduces the risk of many common diseases including cancer, cardiovascular disease, depression and diabetes.
The study to be presented consisted of 30 healthy adults who were randomized to take capsules containing 2000 International Units (IU) of vitamin D2, 2000 IU of vitamin D3 or 2000 IU of mushroom powder containing vitamin D2 once a day for 12 weeks during the winter. Baseline serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D], a measure to determine a person's vitamin D status, were not significantly different among the groups. The serum 25(OH)D levels among the three groups gradually increased and plateaued at seven weeks and were maintained for the following five weeks. After 12 weeks of the vitamin D supplements, serum 25(OH)D levels were not statistically significantly different than those who ingested 2000 IU of vitamin D2 in mushroom powder.
www.sciencedaily.com

And, another cool thing - you can sun even picked mushrooms to get that response.

www.fungi.com

#9 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-06-01 01:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yaaaaa the whole problem would be in the name...
#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-06-01 11:15 AM

Their first choice was already taken.

#10 | Posted by censored at 2014-06-01 01:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

soylent green is the nsa code phraseword for total domestic surveillance--

soylent green is PEEPHOLE!

#11 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-01 04:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Thanks Zero. I hate mushrooms so I will stick with the D3 caps. At least I know they are the right type.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-06-01 05:06 PM | Reply | Flag: