Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Scruffie Duffie's bar in the Dallas suburb of Plano was hammered on social media after this message on a chalkboard greeted patrons: "I like my beer like I like my violence -- domestic." A customer complained, and when the manager wouldn't take it down, she shared a photo of it on Facebook and it went viral. Brian Harder, the president of the company that owns the bar, said, "This was an isolated event executed by an employee that made a bad decision followed by a manager that did not recognize and fix the problem. "We did investigate this issue further and our general manager has since been fired."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

That's just a stupid thing to post in a public place. I've been to many dive bars where, judging from the clientele, that sign might have been OK. But, Scruffie Duffie's looks like a sports bar where young people hang out. The sign is totally and completely inappropriate. It shouldn't have been there for the lady to complain about. If it was a private meeting place for the He-Man Woman Haters Club, then it would be OK.

#1 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-05-29 08:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Trailer park beer Busch = ---- U Shoulda Came Home (now it's all your fault)

#2 | Posted by TrainingForTool at 2014-05-29 09:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm sick but I thought it was funny,but ellvis that was even funnier.

#3 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-05-29 09:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

The sign is tacky, offensive to women, and in horrible taste but it's still somebody's weird idea as funny. I'm often offended when I see things I don't personally like in a male dominated environment (animal heads on a wall, calendars featuring half naked girls, beer bellies and butt cracks, etc.) but it would never dawn on me to try to destroy that business based on my personal likes or dislikes.

I figure I always have options. The best option is to leave and go someplace else with better taste. Sometimes you just have to let guys do their guy thing in a guy place and assume that some day they'll reach maturity.

#4 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-05-29 10:14 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Domestic violence is never "funny".

Except this one time when my wife was mouthing off about something and she was at the top of the stairs yelling, so I took off my belt, you know, just to threaten her a little bit. Well, she took a tiny step back and plump fell all the way down the stairs. We were both laughing so hard we were crying.

#5 | Posted by deadseasquirrel at 2014-05-29 10:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

SQUIRREL

Falling down a flight of stairs isn't funny ~ unless you said she landed on you at the bottom.

#6 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-05-29 10:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sorry, there is no such thing as a funny dometic violence joke. If you think there is then you probably have some serious issues.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-29 10:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I like my beer like I like my violence -- domestic."

That's pretty funny.

Here's an old one:

"What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?"

"Nothing, you already told her twice."

here's a follow up:

"What do you call a woman with one black eye?"

"A fast learner"

These are jokes people, leave your moral outrage at the door. No one cares.

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-29 10:55 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Sorry, there is no such thing as a funny dometic violence joke.

yes there is.

If you think there is then you probably have some serious issues.

Or just can laugh at a joke.

Or you're harboring evil, deep inside your soul, and it escapes in the form of jokes and laughter.

Damn you Satan!!!

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-29 10:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

There are jokes for normal people and there are jokes for rednecks.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-05-29 11:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

An Islamic cleric on wife beating [...] this is an actual quote - I am not making this up

"I wouldn't call it beating. It's more like punching."

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-05-29 11:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Are you sure they didn't compare it to teaching? or guiding?

Comparing a beating to a punching doesn't lessen the blow.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-29 11:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's a bar. Yeah, the joke is not PC but it's a joke.

"I was drunk in a bar." www.youtube.com

People that disagree have hair like the bouncer.

#13 | Posted by et_al at 2014-05-29 11:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

I like to joke around at the bar about slapping my woman into submission.

I've been with my 1/2 western MT: 1/2 MN Norwegian girl for some time now.

Do I really go home and beat her ass? No, I'm too scared to do that...

#14 | Posted by wurster at 2014-05-30 12:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

This song isn't about domestic violence, but it is bar humor regarding menstruation.

It's hilarious, and I encourage everybody to listen to it. It really is funny.

www.youtube.com

Everybody I've played this to laughed their arse off. Every single one.

It's called Down the Old Pub Instead

#15 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-05-30 12:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

Dallas Bar Jokes About Domestic Violence

So?

Juck 'em if they can't take a foke.

It's an evolutionary thing

#16 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-30 01:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

If I had seen the sign I would have thought it was corny because its an old joke. But when people turn themselves into the punchline with their outrage, it makes it funny again.

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2014-05-30 09:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

I cannot find the humor in any of this. Well, okay, I get the black eye jokes, but I don't see them as funny. For personal reasons that have taught me a lot about "domestic violence" and its effects.

That said, if I saw this sign at the bar, I would snort in derision and walk on by, or pay my tab and leave. I'd have to be really drunk already, and already angry about something related, to make a case out of it.

#18 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-30 09:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

"It won't be the meek who inherit the earth regardless what the Invisible Sky Fairy's spawn says."

True, but beating one's wife does not mean one is strong. It actually means one is a craven waste of DNA. If I had the power, I would go Dante on every single wifebeater.

#19 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-30 09:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

As a public defender I handle DV cases on an almost daily basis. It is hard not to become jaded. A lot of gallows humor. Once you take a step back of course it is not funny. But when surrounded on a regular basis by such misery and awful --------, it is hard to drop the occasional dark joke.

#20 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-05-30 11:34 AM | Reply | Flag:

20: I get that. Teachers have their own sort of gallows humor. And I know a guy who works in "family law" and he too can (must?) distance himself.

#21 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-30 12:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

That said, the humor we teachers use among ourselves would simply not fly outside that context. And I wouldn't try it. Ditto your experience, I assume.

#22 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-30 12:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

I think its funny that the general manager got fired. What an idiot. Darwin works in mysterious ways.

#23 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-05-30 01:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

What do all victims of domestic violence have in common?

THEY DON'T KNOW WHEN THE HELL TO SHUT UP!!!!!

#24 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-05-30 02:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Pre the Politically Correct BS, we told ethnic (Polish, German, Italian, Blacks, etc) jokes and society was not worse off for it. In fact it was more relaxed.

#25 | Posted by Robson at 2014-05-30 08:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

Excellent point. Even closer to home we see the DR full of Texas jokes and Texas is doing well.

#26 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-30 08:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe Nietzsche was right -- what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

#27 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-30 08:59 PM | Reply | Flag: