Thursday, May 29, 2014

A map by Mike Simmons of Broadview Networks shows the United States with every state's largest employer identified, based on data from the U.S. Department of Labour. Medical providers, universities and military installations dominate the map, though a few large corporations such as IBM and Microsoft also appear. Two of the more unusual are in South Dakota and South Carolina.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

amazing

#1 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-05-29 02:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-05-29 02:05 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Looking at this map, the same goes for medical costs and healthcare providers...

#3 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-05-29 02:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's probably inaccurate. The state government is the largest employer most states and it includes the state universities.

#4 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-05-29 02:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Damn clear to me Mustang.

#5 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-05-29 02:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

So it says a paving company is the largest in PA. Why do our roads suck?

#6 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-05-29 04:05 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

[...] Rank Name of Employer Rank Name of Employer
1 FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
2 STATE GOVERNMENT
3 WAL-MART ASSOCIATES INC
4 CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
5 TRUSTEES OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PA
6 GIANT FOOD STORES LLC
7 PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY

www.portal.state.pa.us

#7 | Posted by paneocon at 2014-05-29 04:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | Posted by Sully at 2014-05-29 04:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

The largest employer in California is the US military. I absolutely believe it. We are the military, aeronautic industrial, and cyber/intel heart of the nation.

#9 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-05-29 05:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

7: Can you explain what you mean?

#10 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-29 05:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Texas A&M? Really?

I would've never guessed

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-29 05:47 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

For the states I know fairly well, the "largest employer" seems valid, though IBM in VT? Huh.

#12 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-29 05:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

I am pretty skeptical of the list/map myself but I guess it comes down to how did they break things up.

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-05-29 06:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

It would seem to me that it's probably what it says: What organization in the state has the largest number of employees? For Maine and NH, it makes complete sense. VT threw me. Massachusetts makes sense too, though I would have thought the university system would be pretty big. I wonder about school staffs, but then, those aren't single employers; each district is its own employer...

#14 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-29 06:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Look at this map while reading an article about the skyrocketing cost of a college education and see if you can connect the dots...."

Can't disagree with you on that one Mustang.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-29 07:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

"According to the map, the largest employer in NJ is some taxi company that I've never heard of before."

Eh....that's New Jersey....other folks wanted to own taxis but you know....we couldn't have that....let me just say....don't try to start a taxi company in our territory....I mean city....I mean...er...you know what I mean.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-29 07:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

The South Carolina entry-
snip
Bartercard is a business marketplace with 55,000 cardholders

Them ain't employees

#17 | Posted by TrainingForTool at 2014-05-29 09:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

The folks behind the map said they got their stats from the Dept of Labor...

#18 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-29 09:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Regarding all the universities in the map, one does have to assume that students working at the University and possibly even those earning work-study would be included in the raw data. I think there's more to the rising cost of higher ed than the raw number of employees. I'm saving my outrage for elsewhere.

#19 | Posted by dylanfan at 2014-05-30 08:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

Prag, IBM has huge chip manufacturing facilities in and around Burlington.

#20 | Posted by schmanch at 2014-05-30 10:05 AM | Reply | Flag:

Vermont census data lists 13,630 state government employees, the map shows IBM with 5,400 is the largest employer. Every example I check I get a similar result. The map is erroneous.

#21 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-05-30 10:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

Interesting. The article says they got the info from the Dept of Labor. I wonder why there would be a difference. I wonder if there's something about how they define government...

And thanks, Shmanch. This I did not know.

#22 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-30 10:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

Visitor: Maybe they're not counting government as an employer? Does any state have gov't as its largest? I'm fairly sure VT wouldn't be the only such case. If so, though, the text should state that, and it doesn't. Did you check gov't for every example? Did you follow it down to check if the stated largest employer was second only to gov't? That would be telling.

Also, the info is not from DoL (mea culpa), but from some site/organization "sponsored by" the DoL. Layers of information...

#23 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-30 10:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

#16 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-29 07:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

We actually have a problem here where big companies like Waste Management are driving the smaller, mafia-run companies out of the carting business. Its a real crisis. The other day I saw a fat guido all decked out in silver. He just couldn't afford gold anymore.

#24 | Posted by Sully at 2014-05-30 10:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

24: hahahahahaha. Tony would NOT let this sh** go on. He must have died at that restaurant after all.

#25 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-30 10:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

This map is simply not correct. I know for a fact it's wrong on Kentucky. UPS has 20,000+ employees in Kentucky. Ford, GE and Lexmark are also big employers, although they probably trail the biggest healthcare companies.

But Our Lady Bellefonte Hospital? What? That's not even close to being the largest hospital in the state.

#26 | Posted by cbob at 2014-05-30 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag: