Thursday, May 29, 2014

A campaign started on Kickstarter by LeVar Burton to revive Reading Rainbow hit its $1 million goal within hours of its launch, the Christian Science Monitor reports. Burton, who hosted the show on PBS from 1983 to 2006, writes, "Right now, one out of every four children in America will grow up illiterate." The Kickstarter funds will extend a program Burton began two years ago when Reading Rainbow was brought back as an app. He writes, "[A] resounding number of teachers have told me that they want Reading Rainbow in their classrooms, where they know it can make a difference. We will provide it, along with the tools that teachers need, including teacher guides, leveling, and dashboards. And in disadvantaged classrooms, we'll provide it for free."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Good. America needs more people involved in improving our education.

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2014-05-29 10:04 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Well, well, well, look who's come crawling back.

#2 | Posted by censored at 2014-05-29 10:06 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

2: Funny article. I should write my own version as a public school teacher.

#3 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-29 10:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

Loved that show/

#4 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-29 12:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

This is really great. I grew up on that show. Even though I was fortunate to have parents that strongly encouraged me to read, it was always fun to watch LeVar and company on the show. Most of the time the books he recommended were in the library so even a poor city kid could read the latest recommendations.

#5 | Posted by bartimus at 2014-05-29 01:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Some men just want to see the world burn.

And others just want to see the world learn.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-29 02:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Well, well, well..."

Ha ha. I almost fell for it. Clever line intro line. The Onion is really so well written. I don't know how many people I've known who have been fooled by them.

#7 | Posted by LEgregius at 2014-05-29 05:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

This is great!

#8 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-05-29 09:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

He raised $1 million in 24 hours.

#9 | Posted by Pirate at 2014-05-30 05:43 PM | Reply | Flag: