Thursday, May 29, 2014

In his first American television interview, Edward Snowden defended his disclosure of the American government's use of surveillance programs to spy on its own people, and described himself as a patriot for trying to stop violations of the Constitution. "I may have lost my ability to travel," Snowden said. "But I've gained the ability to go to sleep at night and to put my head on the pillow and feel comfortable that I've done the right thing even when it was the hard thing. And I'm comfortable with that."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

sentinel

MORE STORIES

Snowden met for about five hours last week with NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams at a hotel in Moscow, where Snowden is living in exile while facing U.S. felony charges. An hour-long special program based on the interview aired Wednesday on NBC News.

Comments

When Williams asked, "Do you see yourself as a patriot," Snowden answered immediately.

"I do," he said. "I think patriot is a word that's -- that's thrown around so much that it can devalued nowadays. But being a patriot doesn't mean prioritizing service to government above all else. Being a patriot means knowing when to protect your country, knowing when to protect your Constitution, knowing when to protect your countrymen from the -- the violations of and encroachments of adversaries. And those adversaries don't have to be foreign countries. They can be bad policies. They can be officials who, you know, need a little bit more accountability. They can be mistakes of government and -- and simple overreach and -- and things that -- that should never have been tried, or -- or that went wrong."

--------

As I said. Most Americans don't know what a real patriot is. They have been propagandized into believing that a patriot is a mass murder with bars on his chest. That is not a patriot. It is a yes man.

#1 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-28 11:33 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Whether he's a "patriot" or a "traitor" is a red herring. Most people having an intelligent conversation wouldn't completely put him in either category. I think the main point the commentators took away from this interview was this debate about the limits of privacy and surveillance is long overdue, one that we haven't really had a country under Presidents Bush or Obama.

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-05-29 12:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

^ had as a country

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-05-29 12:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

No. He is a patriot through and through. Patriots serve their country, yes men serve power. Those are not the same things.

#4 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-29 12:50 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."
― Smedley D. Butler, War is a Racket: The Antiwar Classic by America's Most Decorated Soldier

#5 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-29 12:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I do," he (Snowden) said. "I think patriot is a word that's -- that's thrown around so much that it can devalued nowadays.

#1 | Posted by Shawn

Indeed, Master Eddie. So stop throwing it around.

#6 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 08:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I do," he (Snowden) said. "I think patriot is a word that's -- that's thrown around so much that it can devalued nowadays".

#1 | Posted by Shawn

"NO one can deny I'm beautiful".

SNOWDEN MANIFESTO

#7 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 08:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

Eddie's not going to let himself be forgotten by the media. It's about eight weeks since his last tension-reliever. Set your clocks: We'll hear from the All American Boy again the end of this June or the start of August.

#8 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 08:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | Posted by Shawn at 2014

You're a fool, SHAWN. You remind me of RIGEL. I think that you are RIGEL most days. So don't lecture on what "most Americans" think. You don't get out to meet them. You don't even like them.

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 08:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

"They can be bad policies. They can be officials who, you know, need a little bit more accountability. They can be mistakes of government and -- and simple overreach and -- and things that -- that should never have been tried, or -- or that went wrong."

They can also be Al Quaeda terrorists determined to crash air planes into buildings. I think I'll take my chances with NSA possibly knowing who I call on my cell phone if I can reasonably expect the next airplane I board to arrive at its destination safely. Thanks but no thanks Eddie, you pompous fool. I just love it that Eddie is so sure no people were harmed due to his revelations because that is something impossible for him to know.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-29 08:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-29 08:23 AMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e

Narcissicism drips from Snowden. If he'd say just a few negative things about women, the comparison with Elliot Rodgers would be clear.

#11 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 08:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

"They can also be Al Quaeda terrorists determined to crash air planes into buildings. I think I'll take my chances with NSA possibly knowing who I call on my cell phone if I can reasonably expect the next airplane I board to arrive at its destination safely."

No terror attack has ever been stopped this way. Its not even objective of the spying.

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2014-05-29 10:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

Zed brings up some good points, I don't agree with the slander and hyperbole though.

We can't judge at this time, whether Snowden is a "patriot" by his own definition. The reason for that is we don't know how his releasing of information has hurt people just doing their jobs.

Also when watching the BW interview Snowden says basically he was a trained spy. Going to foreign countries, using aliases.... I find this to be outlandish talk. Next thing you know he's 007 and had to kill people.

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-29 11:18 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Read Snowden's bio. He failed at everything he ever tried in life.... school, the military, work... his supervisors at any of his jobs never appreciated his talent, according to him.... and finally he devised a way to commit a felony or two, give up national security intel to China, at least, and get all those bad people back for not appreciating him.

Oh, and maybe he caused a needed conversation about NSA overreach along the way.... which is his excuse.

#14 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-29 11:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

--------

You are evading the risks he took to do it. He is a patriot. You may not like it, but that isn't an indictment of him, but rather one of you.

#15 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-29 12:05 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

You are evading the risks he took to do it.

#15 | Posted by Shawn

Any small farmer has Eddie beat. I know a lot of farmers. Have you even met the first one?

#16 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 12:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-

Eddie deserves no benefit of the doubt at this point. None. He knows what he has to do to get some smidgen: come home.

Eddie says he's interested in doing that. This may be because he envisions himself in some mini-series on the Entertainment Channel. Sort of like "Miley: The Movement".

#17 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 12:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at

Eddie can't help but talk. The more that he does talk, the more he'll say things like this. The more he says things like this, the crazier most people will see him to be.

#18 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 12:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-29 08:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

I just love it that you cheered Bradley Manning for releasing people's names and locations to Assange but, get all wee'd wee'd up when someone that hasn't released names and locations does it.

#19 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-29 01:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Not to mention Manning released conversations about foreign leaders that hurt relationships our diplomats had with them. I don't remember Zed being all upset then.

#20 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-29 01:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

I imagine you guys that are upset and trashing Snowden are mad b/c he embarrassed our constitutional attorney president that promised to stop this stuff instead of expand it. I remember it vividly when he told you dupes that Bush had presented us with a false choice of privacy vs security. I remember all of the Ben Franklin security cut and paste quotes on this site.

#21 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-29 01:13 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"This administration also puts forward a false choice between the liberties we cherish and the security we provide.

I will provide our intelligence and law enforcement agencies with the tools they need to track and take out the terrorists without undermining our constitution and our freedom. That means no more illegal wiretapping of American citizens. No more National Security Letters to spy on citizens who are not suspected of a crime. No more tracking citizens who do nothing more than protest a misguided war. No more ignoring the law when it is inconvenient. That is not who we are. That is not what is necessary to defeat the terrorists.

The FISA court works. The separation of powers works. Our constitution works. We will again set an example for the world that the law is not subject to the whims of stubborn rulers and that justice is not arbitrary. This administration acts like violating civil liberties is the way to enhance our security. It is not. There are no shortcuts to protecting America"

Here it is if you forgot.

#22 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-29 01:17 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I don't remember Zed being all upset then.

#20 | POSTED BY DALTON

Which political party did the president belong to when Manning released all of that stuff?

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-05-29 01:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-05-29 01:36 PM | Reply | Flag

Bush obviously. Danni thought the Manning leaks made him a hero and that is why this Snowden stuff is hilarious to me. Not the leak but, more the reaction to it by the Obama fans. They literally cheered Manning doing that stuff and he provided actual names and details about people and they weren't worried one bit back then about those people. It's fascinating that people are so partisan that they literally go 180 degrees from past statements.

#24 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-29 01:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

I wish we still had the archives.

#25 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-29 01:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

#20 | Posted by Dalton at 2014

ZED has been in so much trouble for dinging Manning. You simply haven't been paying attention to ZED.

If ZED were Eddie Snowden, he'd have to correct your lack of appropriate focus (on him) by stealing your family silver and then telling you what a patriot he is for doing so.

#26 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 02:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Fair enough Zed. I thought you were being dinged over making jokes about switching his name. Either way it doesn't change Danni's 180.

#27 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-29 02:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | Posted by Dalton at

I sometimes get dinged for making fun of spies who wear dresses. I'm unsure why. Many spies have worn dresses.

#28 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 02:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

The more people like Zed try to shift the focus from NSA and Obama Administration criminal excesses to Snowden, the more obvious it becomes how great a service Snowden performed for the American people.

#29 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-05-29 03:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

What I see happening next will be that Snowden will be allowed back in the USA on the condition that he serve a short prison sentence, not speak out anymore, and lie about serving Russia. Being a human being, he will most likely take the deal, rather than playing the martyr. Evidence will then be manufactured to that effect. And the propagandists will use the whole incident as evidence that people who don't comply with fascism are traitors. It is what black shirts would do.

#30 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-29 03:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

#28 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 02:31 PM | Reply | Flag

So you don't care that he gave away government secrets including people's actual names? Just that he wears a dress?

#31 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-29 04:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

------

Yup. People cannot see through the illusion of the two party system. Partisanship is a shell game.

There is no difference between the parties. Lot of manufactured distinctions without real differences.

#32 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-29 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yep.... only Moneyw.... er, Shawn can, "see through the illusion of the two party system."

You bet'cha.

#33 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-29 04:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

#31 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-29 04:09 PMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e

That he also wears a dress is just one of those facts of real life that make it stranger than fiction.

Manning is a spy against his native country. He deserves prison.

#34 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 05:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

#29 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-05-29 03:07

SNOWDEN puts the focus on Snowden. One of my main observations, and something you will see him continue to do.

Eddie Snowden has writ himself large into a very personal drama. Hope that the screenplay ends with prison.

#35 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-29 05:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

A series of Presidents and members of Congress that sold our economy and jobs to China, opened our borders to those from other countries that will undercut Americans, while bailing out banksters whose only contribution was a giant sucking sound of their corruption and low tax rates, are the Traitors.

On the other hand an average American like Snowden that would voluntarily give up a career and a life that basically kept him comfortable and secure, and expected nothing in return except the exposure of a gross pattern from a government bureaucracy that was undermining our Constitution, I would suggest he is a real Patriot.

#36 | Posted by Robson at 2014-05-29 07:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

.... Choosing to Remain a Govt STOOGE!

**** BUT WE WERE ONLY DOING AS WE WERE TOLD: At this point in the disintegration of America none of this "Police State" stuff is at all surprising.What's surprising is that a little Cabal of Sleazy Slimy,Low Life Crooks in the White House and the US Govt have been able to get hundreds of thousands of regular Americans to implement and carry out their Traitorous,Vile,Inhuman Unconstitutional Agenda.This Criminal US Govt MAFIA has,with no real effort been able to get all these average US Govt employees who work in law enforcement and the judiciary to willingly and enthusiastically carry out this Fascist Dirty Work for them.Imagine this small group of maybe 50 to 100 contemptible,reprehensible Crooks yet they have been able to get all these hundreds of thousands of American workers to willingly help them establish,erect and enforce their Absolute Totalitarian Dictatorship while at the same time they systematically destroy everything America once stood for!

#37 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-05-29 08:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Eddie's not going to let himself be forgotten by the media."
#8 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2014-05-29 08:07 AM

"Thanks but no thanks Eddie, you pompous fool."
#10 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2014-05-29 08:23 AM

I love how you guys refer to him by this diminutive nickname, even though I've never seen anybody else do this. It reminds me of when Obama haters refer to him using his middle name, like they're the person's mother talking down to the child.

#38 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-05-30 02:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

like they're the person's mother talking down to the child.

#38 | Posted by sentinel at 2014

"Child" would be a promotion for Eddie Snowden. He has no status in my eyes. I don't like him, and I've made my reasons more than clear.

You can exalt him if you want. As always, there's no accounting for taste.

#39 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-30 08:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

"He has no status in my eyes."

He obviously does, or you wouldn't be so concerned with focusing on it every time his name comes up in a news story.

"I don't like him, and I've made my reasons more than clear."
"You can exalt him if you want."

Partisanship in a nutshell. If you don't agree with every visceral, personal and logically fallacious criticism against a person (or party, or government) then you must be exalting them.

#40 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-05-30 07:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's no surprise that none of the critics here who've been making insinuations for months about why he "chose" to go to Russia haven't addressed much less even acknowledged what the man himself said about the subject. Of course, they don't think he has the right to respond to personal character attacks and innuendo, because by doing so he's making it about him and injecting himself into a drama.

On a related note, Kerry apparently said Snowden should "man up" and come back to the US. I haven't seen or heard recordings of this remark directly, but I have seen other comments by him that were more measured in reaction to an excerpt the interview. But seriously... "man up"?

#41 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-05-30 07:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

#41 | Posted by sentinel at

Eddie Snowden is in Moscow. He can walk over to dozens of embassies and ask for help. He hasn't. He's in Russia because he wants to be.

#42 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-30 09:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Partisanship in a nutshell.

#40 | Posted by sentinel at 2014

I suspect Eddie has hurt this country. I'd like to find out for sure. That's in Eddie's hands.

The man's a liar. That's documented. I'd like to find out just how big a liar. That's in Eddie's hands as well.

#43 | Posted by Zed at 2014-05-30 09:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yea I posted the NBC prime times 6 long clips of his interview on this very thing less then a day ago and it was quickly deleted.

#44 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-30 10:41 PM | Reply | Flag: