Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Amazon issued a statement late Tuesday defending its right to discourage customers from buying books from Hachette, one of the country’s biggest publishers. If people really want a new book by James Patterson or another Hachette author, Amazon suggested going to "one of our competitors:" Barnes & Noble, presumably, or an independent store. Amazon has been telling customers it will take as long as a month to ship books published by Hachette. The retailer is trying to influence the publisher to give it better terms on e-books.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Amazon motto:

BE EVIL

#1 | Posted by 88120rob at 2014-05-28 08:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Amazon is situated to become the most evil force in American retailing, they will make Walmart look like the best friends of small business.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-28 08:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

.... Racketeering!

**** Nail Amazon under the RICO Act!

#3 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-05-28 08:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

This matter should keep the lawyers for both sides smiling for years to come.

#4 | Posted by CalifChris at 2014-05-28 08:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Nail Wall St. under the RICO Act!

Otherwise you are deluding yourself. They will simply reorganize.

End the corporate person.

Any lesser measure is a red herring that will only pretend to solve the problem.

#5 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-28 09:49 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

If you want to see evil then go to my college bookstore. Amazon is good.

#6 | Posted by wurster at 2014-05-28 10:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

Amazon is situated to become the most evil force in American retailing,

Because they are open and honest and admit their marketing practices? Would you rather they lie, danni? I appreciate their honesty.

It's like racism: I'm against it, but I'd rather someone be honest about it than pretend they aren't racist when indeed they are.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-28 10:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

That's not all, oh no that's not all. The Amazon war against Hatchett was triggered by their publication of a book critical of Amazon.

#8 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-05-28 10:14 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"Because they are open and honest and admit their marketing practices?"

Hitler was pretty honest too. Amazon is destroying thousands of small businesses daily. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is ok. It is wrong and we shouldn't just let it happen. Monopoly is something we've dealt with before, just because it is now retail is no reason that we should turn a blind eye towards it.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-28 10:59 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

No Hitler was a popular politician. He was a lying slime ball like the rest.

#10 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-29 01:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

Besting the competition is normal everyday business. Has this "revelation" caused any whiners to cancel their Amazon prime account?

#11 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2014-05-29 07:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Besting the competition is normal everyday business."

Amazon doesn't best its competition it overwhelms its competition and I don't buy from Amazon ever. It is a cancer on America that we will all live to regret. When you buy any product sold by small business through Amazon, Amazon takes 15% of the sale including shipping charges, etc. Then, if that product should sell any volume at all Amazon will buy it and stock it in their own warehouse, thereby converting small business into Amazon's market research department.

#12 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-29 08:05 AM | Reply | Flag:

Amazon is just another choice that the consumer has. I'll take that over Walmart any day.

#13 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2014-05-29 08:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

" I'll take that over Walmart any day."

I'd like to prevent any monopolies and encourage small business again in this country. Monopoly is nothing new, we fought a revolution, partially in response to a corporate monopoly.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-29 08:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

Me too, danni, but the truth is I enjoy the low prices and huge selections the big ugly box stores and Amazon offer.

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-29 08:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by danni

I think is fascinating to be watching the transition from paper books to electronic books. It's going to happen and Amazon wants it to happen TODAY. Right now. It's been going on probably for 30 years and folks will be wanting to "hold their book" for another 30 years. The final transition will occur when it's too expensive to own a book over the cheaper electronic media.

On the same topic, what happens to local libraries? I love them. It was since the dawn of man, the center of retained knowledge.

#16 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-05-29 09:50 AM | Reply | Flag:

I would love to see small business thrive. Walmart did and still does it's best to kill small business.
Fact is that online buying especially at Christmas time is getting bigger all the time, Amazon's clever marketing with the Prime accounts is just one more way that the consumer gets the many choices they desire.

#17 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2014-05-29 09:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

On the same topic, what happens to local libraries?

Most libraries, even the one in my small town are now lending ebooks.

#18 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2014-05-29 09:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | Posted by phesterOBoyle

As much as I dislike Walmart, Walmart is still paying employees within your community. The only jobs Amazon supports within most communities is delivery drivers.

#19 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-05-29 12:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

The only jobs Amazon supports within most communities is delivery drivers.

That's true and a good point, but still -- there are a lot of items that simply can't be found at Walmart or anywhere locally. The camera equipment I like to buy is a good example. I own a couple of lenses that literally could not be found anywhere in San Antonio at the time I was looking for them. I still doubt if they could be had here.

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-29 12:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

#20 | Posted by goatman

Unfortunately, that's true as well. And I'm guilty of using Amazon for the same reason.

Buy from Amazon.. Kill a brick and mortar store.. Kill a brick and mortar store.. Stuff they sold is only available at Amazon.

It's a vicious circle that only benefits Amazon. ..and the FedEx driver.

#21 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-05-29 12:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#19 | Posted by Whatsleft

The same can be said for all the other online "stores" like JCPenny, Sears, Walmart..etc

#22 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2014-05-29 01:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

#22 | Posted by phesterOBoyle

For now at least, all of those stores still have a physical presence. While Amazon does not.

Amazon contributes practically nothing to local payroll's, local infrastructure, local education, local charities, etc. All Amazon does is vacuum money away.

#23 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-05-29 01:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Amazon is "the" best customer service company on the planet, period!

The continually treat me like I'm the most important person to their company. They are respectful, truthful have great prices, and they stand by what they sell.

Amazon's customer service is second to no one!

Until someone "proves to me" otherwise Amazon will always have my business!

#24 | Posted by Postone at 2014-05-29 01:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

Amazon is just a store. Nothing requires them to sell any brand. I fail to see how they have violated any law.

It looks like a lot of people think this is the USSR and not America,

#25 | Posted by tmaster at 2014-05-29 11:18 PM | Reply | Flag: