Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Nigeria's military knows where the more than 200 girls abducted by Boko Haram are but has ruled out using force to rescue them, the state news agency quoted chief of defence staff Air Marshal Alex Badeh as saying on Monday. "The good news for the parents of the girls is that we know where they are, but we cannot tell you," Badeh said. "But where they are held, can we go there with force? We can't kill our girls in the name of trying to get them back." Most officials think any raid to rescue them would be fraught with danger and probably not worth the risk that the girls would be killed by their captors -- an Islamist group that has shown a degree of ruthlessness in killing civilians. Since the girls were captured, at least 470 civilians have been killed by Boko Haram, which says it is fighting to establish an Islamic state in religiously mixed Nigeria, in various locations, according to a Reuters count.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

HeliumRat

MORE STORIES

Comments

Oh. These are statements from the Nigerian government? I wouldn't be too quick to believe those liars.

#1 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-28 09:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

A lot of famous women sent pouty-faced twitters, what more can be done?

#2 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-05-28 11:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

A lot of famous women sent pouty-faced twitters, what more can be done?

Reminds me of the joke that was going around in the '60s and .70s, "I'd really like to help [insert what ever the cause célèbre was], but I'm not a folk singer".

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-28 11:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

I wouldn't be too quick to believe those liars.
#1 | POSTED BY DALTON AT 2014-05-28 09:33 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

True, those f-ers still owe me 19 million dollars for my assistance in saving the royal fortune. Maybe if I send them $5k more...

#4 | Posted by bartimus at 2014-05-28 12:28 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

I'll bet the Israelis could get them back. Just sayin'...

#5 | Posted by catdog at 2014-05-28 12:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

One hates to ask this question. but what is an acceptable level of casualities when it comes to trying to rescue this many hostages?

#6 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-05-28 02:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-05-28 02:15 PM | Reply | Flag

They should just offer to buy the girls since that is what the group claimed to be doing with them. Once you buy them send Navy Seals in for the slaughter.

#7 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-05-28 02:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Reminds me of the joke.
#3 | Posted by goatman

This thread, about the abduction of 200 innocent little girls is not a place that good folks, liberal or conservative would think it's OK to add a joke to the conversation IMHO

Folks from every country and every religion around the world are praying for their safe return

#8 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-05-28 05:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Aside from the fact that my comment wasn't aimed towards those girls, (it was unquestionably referencing visitor's post -- how did you miss that?) which you seemingly have no problem with judging by your omission of commentary, I've always had an irreverent and dark sense of humor. People here who don't like it (or anything else I say) killfile me. I invite you to do the same, sammy

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-28 05:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Send in the SEALs to disarm and subdue Boko Harem.

Then send in the parents of those girls to solve the problem once and for all.

I think it would produce a more effective end-state. That's just me though.

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-05-28 10:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Call me a Nazi, but I think that there are people who are meant for the ovens. The difference between me and them is that the determination should be based on one's actions as opposed to where one comes from or what one chooses to believe.

#11 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-05-28 10:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

I see the mothers of the girls complaining, but not the fathers. Where are they? Oh, there they are - next village over... raping adolescent girls, their mothers didn't 'iron their breasts' in time.

#12 | Posted by TrainingForTool at 2014-05-28 10:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

their mothers didn't 'iron their breasts' in time.

#12 | Posted by TrainingForTool

I never heard of that so I had to look it up.

Mothers 'iron' daughters' breasts to delay puberty
The practice of 'breast ironing', in which mothers try to flatten their daughters' developing breasts with heavy, heated objects is common in Cameroon.
The practice of "breast ironing", in which mothers try to flatten their daughters' developing breasts with heavy, heated objects is common in Cameroon as well as in many other West African countries, including Nigeria, Togo, Guinea, Chad and Ivory Coast.

Some women use stones or pestles to prevent breast growth, while others pound the tissue with heated plantain peels.In nations where teenage pregnancy and rape are rife, trying to forcibly eliminate signs of puberty to protect their daughters seems worth the pain to many mothers.
n a society, where discussing sexuality with children is a taboo for cultural and religious reasons, mothers resort to methods that have serious implications on their daughters' health and psyche, according to Ndonko.

"They don't realise how traumatising breast ironing is," he said. "It's a very, very painful practice."
The good news is{in Cameroon} that the campaign has shown success. The 12% of women suffering today from breast ironing represents a halving of the number in 2006, when an initial GIZ survey found that one in four women were affected by the practice
www.health24.com