Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Isla Vista killer Elliot Rodger wrote in his "My Twisted World" journal that when his "life took a very dark turn" at 17, he began fantasizing about punishing "all of the popular kids and young couples for the crime of having a better life than me." In July 2011, he wrote that he became "livid with envious hatred" at the sight of a young couple "kissing passionately" at a Starbucks: "When they left the store I followed them to their car and splashed my coffee all over them. The boy yelled at me and I quickly ran away in fear. ... I had never struck back at my enemies before, and I felt a small sense of spiteful gratification for doing so."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

The incident made him realize he "was capable of killing them," he wrote. "I wanted to kill them slowly, to strip the skins off their flesh. They deserve it. The males deserve it for taking the females away from me, and the females deserve it for choosing those males instead of me."

Comments

The more I read from (and about) this guy, the less I think any kind of romantic interest from a female could have saved him. He was so full of self-hatred that anyone giving positive attention to him likely would have been rejected.

Either that, or he would have killed the woman if she broke up with him.

The July 2013 incident where he went to a college party and attacked the people there, trying to push them off the ledge, was like a practice run for the future mass murder. It's a shame that a college student becoming a violent drunk would not have been perceived as out of the ordinary. If he had assaulted a group of young people at a Starbucks it might have led to him being held for mental health reasons.

#1 | Posted by rcade at 2014-05-27 09:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

Either that, or he would have killed the woman if she broke up with him.

That thought crossed my mind in the first thread. When I said if one girl had just had pity sex with him I almost added that she would probably have been stalked and killed then some flip comment about 1 is better than 7 but honestly this guy is making it hard for me to be flip which is sad, usually that is very easy for me.

I think part of the issue is I see a lot of my young self in him and had I had a different group of friends or different parents or just a few slight differences this could have ended up being me.

In some ways my first girlfriend is probably the biggest reason, she made me realize that girls were not as shallow as I thought. She made me realize that I had an inherent value to myself and others and she gave me self confidence. Heck we didn't even have sex just kissing a coping a few feels. It was over summer and we lost touch almost immediately once school began but it really did have a huge impact that I never really thought about until this story.

RCADE I hate to say it cause I enjoy it here but I think I may have to take a few days off for this to blow over. It is just too depressing for me and too many stories on your blog about it to avoid it.

#2 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-05-27 10:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

It is depressing, but I don't think it'll be top-story news for much longer.

There are probably a lot of males who can identify with Rodger's romantic misery, but fortunately 99.9999% are mentally capable of coping with it and eventually solving the problem.

I can remember what it was like to be living alone and lonely in college and wonder if you'd ever find a girlfriend. I had the good fortune to get into large groups -- first a job where a lot of young single people worked and then a student newspaper at UT-Arlington. That's where I met my future wife.

My advice to young men who are striking out and bitter is to find some place where you can be a part of group activities.

I read a long discussion of this tragedy on a forum devoted to pick-up artists. Some of those men are wallowing in pretty vile misogyny, but others have figured out that the real point is to pick up yourself and develop self confidence.

#3 | Posted by rcade at 2014-05-27 10:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

His family should have never moved to California. At least, not that part of California. He was way too obsessed with status.

#4 | Posted by Pirate at 2014-05-27 10:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

He was way too obsessed with status.

Yep. I think his social circle -- affluent California kids in and around the entertainment business -- sounds like a tough one. His "my BMW, clothes and $300 shades should be getting your attention" act might have actually worked at a college in a smaller town that doesn't attract many rich kids.

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2014-05-27 10:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

It is depressing, but I don't think it'll be top-story news for much longer.

True and I am trying to stick it out, summer classes don't start for a few weeks I would be pretty board without liberals to try and save or conservatives to try and mellow :)

Very good point. I had a job at age 14 that probably helped as well and I transferred to a location of the same company in my college town so I was able to find quick acquaintances when I went to college. I was also in BSA as a teen that helped to some degree but truth is all male activities when the hormones are raging will only keep you out of trouble for so long. Even when we would do joint trips with Explorer Scouts which was co-ed there was around a 10-1 male female ratio so the girls could be very choosy so not helpful to a guy with severe social awkwardness.

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-05-27 10:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

my BMW

Maybe we should ban BMW's not guns. I swear I have never meet a BMW driver I liked, it is the car of -------.

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-05-27 10:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

Really? Just because you're a college age virgin and jocks keep getting the girls you like, you gotta shoot people? Whatever happened to throwing the biggest party of the summer with your fat ----- comic-relief friend?

#8 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-05-27 11:06 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"Whatever happened to throwing the biggest party of the summer with your fat ----- comic-relief friend"

"you mu's sure can party!
"

#9 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-05-27 11:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | Posted by rcade

I have to agree with your last line there. It is about self confidence. When you are confident people pick up on it. When you aren't they pick up on it too. Social skills also play a huge role. But there is a lot more to it than that. This kid needed professional help years ago.

Sadly he lived in one the biggest havens of shallowness, narcissism and vanity I know of - Greater Los Angeles. Calabasas, Santa Barbara... Not a place to be for someone who can't cope.

Again sadly we are not really addressing the problems of Mental Health in this country. HIPPA exacerbated the issue making it worse and not better. There needs to be a discussion on this subject and how to deal with it. Until there is these mass killings will continue regularly. I get that we shouldn't lock people up just because someone says they need help - there are too many ulterior motives out there. But come on...

We live in the give the kid a pill age and don't let people adjust and cope like we used to. I am curious if it has statistically affected things like teen suicide at all. Bullying and fights are a part of life for kids. All the laws and rules you make don't actually make things better they make them worse IMHO. If you don't learn how to deal with things without a pill you are in trouble. Parents need to quit being helicopters and do something useful.

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-05-27 12:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

This kid felt about straight couples the way some people feel about gay couples. Uncomfortable and offended merely by their presence.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-27 07:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Maybe we should ban BMW's not guns."

There is about a zero percent chance of either being banned.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-05-27 07:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

After every mass-murder incident, we have to listen to gun-nuts yap about 2nd amendment rights. I wish they would talk about the 20 little babies killed in New Town, Connecticut and their ... RIGHTS TO LIFE. I for one could CARE LESS about gun rights. I hate guns and the results they bring. Nothing good comes from guns. And I hold the NRA and all gun-nuts responsible for the murders of 20 little kids in Connecticut and elsewhere around the world. IMHO All of you have blood on your hands...

#13 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-05-27 09:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

There was a time when people like him could get the help they needed at mental health facilities even if they didn't think they needed help.

#14 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-28 01:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

we have to listen to gun-nuts yap about 2nd amendment rights.

Hey, don't knee jerk for feel good anti-gun legislation and maybe you won't have to listen to it.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2014-05-28 02:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

ANy one taking odds on what PRESCRIBED/LEGAL Drugs he was on yet?

#16 | Posted by GotTruth at 2014-05-28 07:02 AM | Reply | Flag: