Monday, May 26, 2014

In a TED speech, journalist Sebastian Junger shares his experience embedded with American soldiers at Restrepo, an outpost in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley that saw heavy combat. Giving a look at the "altered state of mind" that comes with war, he shows how combat gives soldiers an intense experience of connection. "I've been covering wars for almost 20 years and one of the remarkable things to me is how many soldiers find themselves missing it," Junger said. "How is it someone can go through the worst experience imaginable and come home -- back to their home, their family and their country and miss the war?"

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

zack991

MORE STORIES

13 min video that is a very good watch for Vets and civilians to watch. In the end, could it actually be "the opposite of war" that soldiers miss?

Comments

"Sebastian Junger on War and Restrepo"
Another quick video that hits the points as well
www.youtube.com

#1 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-25 06:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

This memorial day enjoy your beer, burgers and hotdogs. Just don't forget why we remember it.

His latest Film

Korengal Official Trailer (2014) - War On Terror Doc
www.youtube.com

The First Documentary called

Restrepo - Trailer (HD) 2010
www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-25 06:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

First and foremost, there is no glory in war.

And implying that war has redeeming qualities because combat creates unique experiences of adrenalin and camaraderie, while true, are not points well made for going to war.

I'm around veterans everyday, and to a tee they do not ever express an ounce of regret for serving.

But I can assure you that they certainly do not miss war.

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-25 07:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | POSTED BY ZACK991 AT 2014-05-25 06:41 PM | REPLY | FLAG

Here's what you need to remember, that the only people who miss war are those who profit from it.

WAR is a racket.
It always has been.
It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.

General Smedley Butler, USMC
twice awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor

#4 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-25 07:22 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

There is nothing that makes you feel alive more than being a nanometer from death and surviving.

And Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley.

If you have not seen Restrepo then today is a good day to see it. Its on Netflix.

They should have just paid for the damn cow.

Semper Fi all you devil dogs.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-26 12:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

And yet we still live in a world where some consider war to be "holy".

#6 | Posted by squinch at 2014-05-26 12:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

War was the scariest thing I have ever done. But watching the U.S. military conduct the Marjah operation was a thing of beauty. It made me feel great about our nation and our capabilities. It let me know we could rise to any occasion and that my family, while I was not, was safe and would always be.

The reason we are able to post our opinions is because we are safe from those who would wish us harm. Those girls in Nigeria were not safe and they still are not.

A lot of people don't understand how much their safety costs. They think it's a given.

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2014-05-26 12:52 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I spent the morning visiting friends. Looks like the Boy Scouts have been out, The all got a new flag.

#8 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-05-26 01:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Soldiers don't miss war...at least not the sane ones. Soldiers miss soldiers. They miss a level of friendship they can only achieve knowing that their buddy would die to save them and vice versa.

#9 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-05-26 01:45 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

War screws with peoples heads.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-26 01:51 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf
PinchALoaf, I was drafted and forced to serve, the people in Vietnam had never harmed me, my family or my country. It's more than regret for me.
Are any of the veterans that you see "everyday" draftees who were FORCED to fight-kill, against their will ? ? ?

#11 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-05-26 02:07 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#11 | POSTED BY SAMMYAZ_RI AT 2014-05-26 02:07 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Yes, many have told me that they were drafted and sent to Vietnam.

I'm not going to argue with you. If that's how you feel about it, then I support you, and I have no problem with what you're saying.

My only hope is that because you were (more than likely) treated poorly upon returning home, that you're now getting the care and support you deserve.

#12 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 02:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

@ SammyAZ_RI

Better Late than Never: A Vietnam Veteran's VA Story

www.blogs.va.gov

Just thought the above link might interest you.

It's guys like you who truly did the heavy lifting, who made it easy for someone like me who came afterwards... thank you.

#13 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 02:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

The military takes advantage of the way the human brain works. We love being connected to other people. People form connections through mutual suffering. Basic training makes you suffer with other people through which you form bonds. Those bonds become the most important thing to you - causing you to abandon your natural moral objection to killing and also causing you to not think about the larger picture of "should we be doing this?"

#14 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-05-26 03:14 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#7 | Posted by boaz a

The military hasn't kept anyone safe since WW2. Since then it's been all about corporate profits and banking power and our soldiers are merely gullible enforcers for those agencies.

But we know what it costs. Hundreds of billions of dollars a year.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-05-26 03:18 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Those bonds become the most important thing to you - causing you to abandon your natural moral objection to killing..."

???

I was in the military and that didn't happen to me, speaksoftly. You shouldn't believe everything you hear, or if you do, don't repeat it. It makes you look foolish to repeat nonsense like this, especially considering you were never there.

"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
Don't ever forget that you just may wind up being wrong"

Jimmy Buffet
Mañana

#16 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-26 03:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

From the start, soldiers(military members) are taught honor, respect, loyalty and selfless service. Things we find are sorely lacking in todays society...

Once you find that type of unity, you hunger for it. Back home, polarizing ideologies pit one against the other, just like the races.

#17 | Posted by boaz at 2014-05-26 03:26 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I don't think they miss war for war itself, but as the context under which those relationships flourished.

I have a friend who regularly posts things on face book suggesting that very thing and they're often commented on by guys who were in his unit in Afghanistan who agree. Most of it centers around shared experiences with nothing comparable in civilian life.

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2014-05-26 03:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

#16 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2014-05-26 03:19 PM | REPLY | FLAG

This statement is so effingly wrong, and so effingly full of garbage, that it stinks to high effing heaven.

Who died and made you the authority on what can and cannot be said????

That's rhetorical (meaning that the question is a statement that is to be digested intellectually and to not be answered).

#19 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 03:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Soldiers miss killing, which is what they are trained to do. Problem with reducing the size of the military is all these killers will come back to our communities.

#20 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-26 03:32 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

The military hasn't kept anyone safe since WW2.

That type of liberal thinking makes a nation weak. Makes it soft. Quite frankly, the only reason we are free is because of the reputation and fear of, our military.

Know what that also causes? A bunch of self identifying contentious objectors. A bunch of nobody's were no one can make a decision. A bunch of people who all want to be in charge because they think "they" have it right. It causes hesitation. Nothing and no one is united..Everyone is so cynical that nothing gets done in the name of the greater good..

Sounds kinda like the political situation, right?

We are allowing our political correctness divide us. We are no longer united in this country because we continue to allow those with allegiance to other nations have a vote. We cannot be united. And the chickens will one day come home to roost. I hope I don't see it.

#21 | Posted by boaz at 2014-05-26 03:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Soldiers miss killing, which is what they are trained to do.

Spoken like a true liberal. Werent you in the military, Nulli? Don't you realize how stupid that statement is?

#22 | Posted by boaz at 2014-05-26 03:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

We don't need any more hyper-macho, racist, ex-soldiers in Cali.

#23 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-26 03:39 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#21 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-05-26 03:33 PM | REPLY | FLAG

That is not a very thoughtful statement.

#24 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 03:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

We don't need any more hyper-macho, racist, ex-soldiers in Cali.

Now you are just trolling.

#25 | Posted by boaz at 2014-05-26 03:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

That is not a very thoughtful statement.

What? It's true. Does it really make you angry that our military keeps you protected? That others are afraid to strip you of your way of life because they are afraid of dying at the hands of our military?

#26 | Posted by boaz at 2014-05-26 03:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

Actually it's quite correct. You saying otherwise doesn't change that.

Who died and made you the authority on what can and cannot be said????

Nobody. But we decent people expect the truth, not lies. That's basically what I'm saying. If you prefer lies, good for you. Revel in them. I'm not that crazy for them.

#27 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-26 03:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-05-26 03:45 PM | REPLY | FLAG

No, dummy.

It makes me angry that the military I served in is now ------ up beyond recognition. Two ------ up wars, and a whole bunch of new veterans that now need help because of those two ------ up wars.

And to top it all off, you favor voting for politicians who are crazy for war while not doing a --------- thing to help the veterans that they insist on creating.

You need to get a clue.

#28 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 03:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2014-05-26 03:53 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Who's we? All your banned, like minded trollish friends?

You post garbage.

Ah, excuse me... you post circular garbage, just like the above post I quoted.

#29 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 04:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Who's we? All your banned, like minded trollish friends?

You post garbage.

Ah, excuse me... you post circular garbage, just like the above post I quoted.

#29 | POSTED BY PINCHALOAF

I'm betting the extreme irony in the second line of this post is completely lost on you, pinchaloaf.

You're getting all worked up again, dude. Calm down.

#30 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-26 04:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

You're getting all worked up again, dude. Calm down.

#30 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2014-05-26 04:03 PM | REPLY | FLAG

Yeah, because you have the market cornered on internet morality.

How many times have you been banned?

How many times have you said you'd no longer post here?

Again, these are rhetorical questions. If you don't know what rhetorical means, then look it up.

#31 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 04:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

How many times have you been banned?

Once.

You keep bringing that up as you are mighty proud of yourself knowing what that word means and thinking you are the only one in the world who does. LOL

If you want to continue this nonsense, bring it over to the nooner. Rcade doesn't like this off topic bantering. I'll respect that. If you do too, I'll see you on the nooner.

#32 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-26 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

What are you talking about man? There are a lot less vets from these two wars. How many served in Vietnam? 10 million? The total from both Afghanistan and Iraq will top what? 1.5 mil?

War is necessary. I'm sorry your point of view doesn't hold water.

#33 | Posted by boaz at 2014-05-26 04:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 | Posted by boaz

Name one thing the military has done for me, besides sucking up a huge portion of the budget that couldve been used to strenghten our society.
I'm not a bank or an oil company, so the military does nothing for me but piss off other nations and create new terrorists.

#34 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-05-26 05:01 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

War is necessary. I'm sorry your point of view doesn't hold water.

#33 | Posted by boaz

YOu realize that simply because a war requires less soldiers than previous wars doesn't mean it has a net-negative number of vets right?

That's still 1.5 million vets that we have to take care of in exchange for exactly NOTHING except profits for the war profiteers.

#35 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-05-26 05:04 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

War is necessary.

#33 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-05-26 04:41 PM | REPLY | FLAG

Even WWII, as righteous as we were to fight, was also dubious in that the totalitarian Soviet Union was our ally.

So there you have it.

The biggest, bloodiest, costliest, most carnage inducing, genocidal war in our planet's history was still not a neat, clean, clear cut endeavor of good vs evil.

That should give you pause into ever thinking that "war is necessary".

#36 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 05:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

#33 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-05-26 04:41 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

What does the number of veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan have to do with anything?

The point is that sending 18 year old kids overseas to get their asses shot off for no good reason is NOT a good reason. And you as a military officer should understand that.

#37 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 05:40 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I don't know guys. Your point of view is so foreign to me. I'm glad I don't feel that way.

If WWII wasn't clear cut Germany and Japan needed to go, I don't know what is. And for you to say otherwise, is...weird.

While I like debating you gentlemen, this conversation truly serves nothing. I don't understand your useless point of view and I only hope and pray no one with your stance is ever in charge of my well being.

Always be prepared and vigilant. Never wait until the last minute to defend yourself.

#38 | Posted by boaz at 2014-05-26 06:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

#38 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-05-26 06:29 PM | REPLY | FLAG

How can you expect to understand the world around you if you can't understand basic tenants of WWII history? Let alone the basic tenants of post WWII history. Ever heard of Wernher Von Braun and slave labor? Ever heard of the rat-lines?

And moralizing to your God that my "stance" is useless is really hacktastic. No effing offense. See, my DD Form 214 also says honorable discharge, so your moral arrogance is all the more ridiculous.

Tell all your Army buddies that I said that they need to take their fat fannies to the VA so professionals like me can give them the highest quality, most cost effective care in the country... despite you and your army buddies stupidly letting dopey politics cloud your judgement as to where that best care is actually located by voting for politicians who want to take that care away for fragmented, lower quality care that is more expensive.

So there you go, I am in charge of your well being after all.

We're all members, or former members of the armed forces. Brothers in arms.

If you truly think you're better than me, or anyone else for that matter, simply because you lack historical knowledge on a particular subject, than not only are you are sorely mistaken, but you need to start studying.

#39 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2014-05-26 06:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | Posted by MUSTANG

You hit it on the head.

#40 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-05-27 10:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

Typical liberal expert, spends a month or so among soldiers and he thinks he knows everything. He needs to get wounded so he knows the meaning of pain. He needs to sit for hours in a VA hospital X10 to learn what frustration really is. He needs a tattoo on his forehead saying VETERAN, so he can hear the ignorant things people say about us.

#41 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-05-27 11:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

Boaz - the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean protect us. Period. Militaries are used for corporate interests. Why do you think we have bases all around the globe. To promote peace?

#27 - A decent person does not have to claim so.

#42 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-05-27 05:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

#27 - A decent person does not have to claim so.

#43 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-05-27 05:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

---------------

Don't start a war.

#44 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-27 08:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

----------

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."
― Smedley D. Butler, War is a Racket: The Antiwar Classic by America's Most Decorated Soldier

#45 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-27 08:03 PM | Reply | Flag: