Friday, May 23, 2014

Levi Strauss CEO Chip Bergh may have both horrified and frustrated many parents who are trying to teach their teens cleanliness and good grooming habits when he said he hadn't washed his jeans in a year. "These have yet to see a washing machine," Bergh said of his denim attire at the Fortune Brainstorm Green conference conference Tuesday. "I know that sounds totally disgusting. ... You can spot clean it. You can air dry it. Believe me it can be done. I have yet to get a skin disease or anything else."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Lisa Suhay of Christian Science Monitor, the mother of four sons ages 10 through 20, had this response: "[N]o pant fabric that touches a bike riding, grass sitting, school-bus riding, flatulence delivering body is going to spend more than a maximum of 72-hours of wear-time without being thoroughly washed, using detergent."

Comments

For such an unwashed, unkempt CEO his shoes do seem quite new and unworn.. in fact, his entire ensemble appears to be new. Chip Burgh is a liar. He's also disgusting.

#1 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-05-23 05:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

I freeze my jeans instead of washing them. I look fly too.

#2 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-05-23 05:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I look fly too." You must attract flies, too.

www.smithsonianmag.com

#3 | Posted by sixam at 2014-05-23 08:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Studies show that people who freeze their jeans have a higher probability of getting cold-cocked than those who don't.

--No Citation Necessary

#5 | Posted by madscientist at 2014-05-23 08:44 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Ugh. That was below the belt, Mad.

#6 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-05-23 08:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Translation: "ever since we outsourced Levis overseas to Asia, our quality is crap. They might not survive being washed. Buy American made."

#7 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-05-23 09:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

How about the fops at levis headquarters not have their monkey suits pressed. Pretentious #$$%^^&%...

#8 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-23 10:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

He should "XYZ, PDQ".

#9 | Posted by xyzpdq at 2014-05-24 02:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

#8 "fops" = feeble old people?

#10 | Posted by xyzpdq at 2014-05-24 03:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

In "Hells Angels" Hunter S. Thompson describes one initiation ritual for wanna-be Angels: the initiate dons a new pair of jeans, is urinated upon by members of the club, and then wears the jeans. Try that, Mr. Bergh...

#11 | Posted by catdog at 2014-05-24 09:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

Jeans don't need washing. The RPI graduate genius that invented denim them knew what he was doing. He wanted to make something water proof but instead created the first nanofiber.

My alma mater does a body good.

If your jeans smell it's probably cause you must go well beyond the norm of disgusting habits.

Even cig smoke fades from denim in a few days.

#12 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-05-24 09:51 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I have a better solution. Don't buy levi's jeans.

#13 | Posted by pragmatous at 2014-05-24 10:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

Nothing wrong with jeans. Most versatile pants out there for just throwing on, and the fact is most people wash clothes more than they need, so this may not be as far off as it sounds. The only problem I have is that I tear out most pairs within a year. They really aren't as durable as they used to be. Considering buying some of those Duluth ones online - they claim they're tougher. But local department store ones are somewhat of a waste of money.

#14 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-05-24 11:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

When I was a kid, jeans, especially Levi's & Lee's, lasted forever, even with the knees ripped out, wash after wash after wash. Fade they did, but fall apart they did not.

Now? Every pair of jeans I've bought, to the point where I find it's a waste of money to do so, they fall apart around the back pockets. Every single time. That and the belt loops rip out when you try to "hitch up your drawers". I'm also a guy that lives alone, so I'm prone to wear everything but skivvies many times before washing them.

#15 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-05-24 02:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

"It's gotten to the point where I just buy heavy khaki pants for half the price and get twice the wear."

I recommend patching jeans until they are nothing but patches. Screw Walmart and Levis's.

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-24 02:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

#16 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Used to do that when we were kids...we were kinda rough on them, knees mostly. Then at the end of the school year we'd cut off the legs.

Patching pockets is a bit trickier and doesn't really solve the problem of cheap material as it'll just start again around the patch. Nah, I generally just order online from sears or jcpenny (well, used to anyway) but doesn't really matter, they're all made in china/malaysia/bangladesh regardless of which store you buy them at. American made isn't much better, to make profits with American workers, they buy the cheapest material possible and charge you even more for the product.

#17 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-05-24 05:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yeah, pockets are tricky, and unfortunately, that's always the first to go on me. First I get holes around the back pocket stitching, then a race between the knees and the crotch ripping out. If it were just the knees, I wouldn't care quite so much - just relegate to work pants for around the house and garage. The other rips make them a little more socially unacceptable though, unfortunately. And it's practically every brand I can find around my house. Levi's, Lee, Eddie Bauer, you name it. They all seem to purchase thinner than they used to be.

Admittedly, I'm hard on them. More than a bit of a grease monkey as a hobby, and nowadays nieces and nephews to keep up with, who are all convinced I'm a walking jungle gym, (found out I can still climb trees last month lol) but they used to make it a couple years at least.

#18 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-05-24 06:32 PM | Reply | Flag: