Friday, May 23, 2014

Patriotism used to be good business for Murray Fenwick, the owner of Stucki Embroidery, a small Catskills factory that embroiders shiny white stars onto the blue part of the American flag. Not so much anymore. The retail price of a standard nylon three-by-five-foot American flag with embroidered stars has hovered between $19 to $24 for over a decade. But the price Stucki got for its stars from its largest customer, Annin Flagmakers, which had a contract with Wal-Mart, kept falling. Annin once paid Stucki $2.15 for each flag field. Then Wal-Mart demanded a price cut. The price dropped to $1.95, and then $1.85. "They're trying to compete because Wal-Mart is chiseling them every year," he says. "We just got squeezed and squeezed." Finally, Annin bought its own embroidery machines to make its stars in-house, cutting Stucki out entirely.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

lee_the_agent

MORE STORIES

Fenwick knows that it's pure economics that is forcing his company out of stars. That doesn't make it any easier.

"I once read an economist who wrote that anything cheaper in some other county should be made there and not in America," he says. "I'd like to find that guy. I'd be very tempted, but I'd probably get arrested for assault if I met him."

Comments

Chinese-made stars and stripes?

I think we make the most American flags. But you won't see them as most are made for burning.

We burn other flags too... including our own.

www.dawn.com

(Dude, where's my flag?)

#1 | Posted by Rigel at 2014-05-23 05:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

They're killing it the way they kill every other business.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-23 05:37 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

"Then Wal-Mart demanded a price cut."

Tell 'em to go to hell.

I make a point of refusing to use any American flag made over seas.

I know other people who steal and destroy any American flag made in China and there are MILLION like us.

There will be NO outsourcing of old glory unless walmart wants to have a direct conflict with actual American values.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-23 05:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why does it matter where a flag is manufactured? What's the big deal?

#4 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-05-23 05:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

and there are MILLION like us.

No there are not.

If there had been "millions like us", you wouldn't be in this situation. LOL

#5 | Posted by Rigel at 2014-05-23 05:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Rigel there are millions.

Not all of them have noticed this problem yet though.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-23 05:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I know other people who steal and destroy any American flag made in China..."

So someone is going around taking down flags to identify the origin?

And destroying other people's property is OK if it is a US flag?

The US flag represents some odd behavior.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-05-23 06:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Redial if you think we're nuts about flag stuff (and we are) try visiting some other countries.

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-23 06:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

I think that is a bit extreme. And I doubt there are "millions" do that.

But, I will go out of my way and I will pay extra to make sure my flag is made in America. I may be being completely silly about it but it's the principle of the thing.

Now if there were a million of me then Mr. Murray Fenwick would never have to worry.

Happy Memorial Day

and

Semper Fi

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-23 06:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

I won't fly old glory anymore. I'm tired of all the jingoistic BS that goes on in this country.

#10 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-05-23 07:00 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"Redial if you think we're nuts about flag stuff..."

Well yes, I do think destroying your neighbour's flag because it was not made in the USA is nuts.

Criminal, in fact.

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-05-23 07:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

American flags are softer on the cheeks.

#12 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-05-23 07:34 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Here I Arizona a young girl went to the flag store to replace her worn yellow smiley face flag for her garden, they were sold out, so she thought the rainbow flag was pretty and bought one. The next day a conservative idiot tore down the flag and spray painted anti-gay graffiti on the wall around the property. Thankfully a neighbor witnessed the conservative fool vandalizing the property

#13 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-05-23 08:12 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

They're killing it the way they kill every other business.

You have to, to some degree, include we Americans in "they".

We're addicted to cheap [...] because we're addicted to having as much crap as possible.

Wal-Mart, to some degree, is the inevitable outcome of our society's greed.

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2014-05-23 09:08 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

American business can't compete with China's slave and child labor. But it's American big business that wants it this way.

And we can't expect people to stay away from Wal-Mart when jobs are scarce and wages are low.

What happened to globalization creating jobs and raising the standard of living? I knew it was all lies. It was always about profits.

#15 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2014-05-23 09:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 I lived in AZ for quite some time. What shi*** part do you live in that does not accept gays? AZ is the lesbian capitol of the US.

#16 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-05-23 10:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | Posted by jpw

Spot-on.

#17 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-05-23 11:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

If you'll looking for a "Made in America" flag I recommend you try your local American Legion first. That's where I found mine.

#18 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-05-23 11:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hoooaaahhh! to the rest of you veterans!

#19 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-05-24 12:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

Nothing will change until Americans wake up and decide to support American industry and quit worrying about trying to get the cheapest Chinese crap because it's a few dollars cheaper. That and the manufacturing playing field of US vs China needs to come back in our favor, instead of greedy corporations getting slave labor to fill the need of fat, lazy Americans wanting cheap goods verses qualify goods. The importation laws need to change to stop giving all the benefits to foreign countries and their junk imports.

#20 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-24 06:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

I went to Fleet Farm and bought a flag "kit," because my flagpole had become rusty and unpresentable after 13 years or so. I could buy an el-cheapo entirely printed US flag, made in the USA, or I could buy the same flag, but with Chinese hardware for a bit more. I always replace my el-cheapo flag on Memorial Day and on Veterans Day. There's a street light above and across the street, so my flag is on display 24/7.

#21 | Posted by john47 at 2014-05-24 08:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

As if Walmart was the only source to buy American flags; I recommend purchasing through the VFW or American Legion.

#22 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-05-24 11:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

Wal-Mart is killing American Manufacturing period.

#23 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-05-24 11:53 AM | Reply | Flag:

I love the smell of a flag burning in the morning.

#24 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-05-24 07:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Of course they killed the American Flag business just as they've killed all US consumer business. Thanks to WMT and the USA Congress it is now in China and USA retailers know it is not in the USA. They like JCP are going bankrupt.

Why are we even discussing the obvious?

#25 | Posted by Robson at 2014-05-25 07:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

#24 | POSTED BY DREWINNJ AT 2014-05-24 07:59 PM | FLAG: I have to give you a funny flag just for reminding me of a time in '68 when two lib wussies [and libs typically are] made the mistake of burning an American flag while I was present - BIG MISTAKE. Left both moaning in the dust ;)

#26 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-05-25 07:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-05-25 07:18 PM

Settle down, MSGT; if those hippies were burning THEIR flag, your job was to protect their protest, as protest with symbols is a right guaranteed by that Constitution your obviously pretended to swear to uphold. Your "patriotism" is profoundly misplaced. Or is this another made-up Vietnam-era anecdote, like the hippies spitting on returning veterans?

#27 | Posted by john47 at 2014-05-26 05:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | POSTED BY JOHN47 AT 2014-05-26 05:40 AM | FLAG: Was a teen and not in the AF at the time of the, shall we say, 'incident' :)

#28 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-05-26 11:58 AM | Reply | Flag: