Thursday, May 22, 2014

A Montana man who had been repeatedly burglarized has pleaded not guilty to deliberately killing a 17-year-old German exchange student who entered his garage. Markus Kaarma, 29, was arraigned Wednesday in the April 27 death of Diren Dede. Kaarma faces a charge of deliberate homicide. Kaarma had left the garage door partially open and blindly fired four shots into the garage after they spotted a trespasser, charging documents alleged.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

In court documents, Kaarma allegedly told stylists at a hair salon that he'd been waiting up at night for intruders, saying "I'm seriously going to kill some ------- kids." Kaarma's attorney, Paul Ryan, said because of Dede, neighbors "have expressed serious concerns about neighborhood safety."

Comments

Yeah, but have you ever seen a Fox hiccup? tv.yahoo.com

#1 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-05-22 12:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yeah, but have you ever seen a Fox hiccup? tv.yahoo.com

#2 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-05-22 12:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Damnit. That never happens to me.

#3 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-05-22 12:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Is "hiccup" what the Fox says?

#4 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-05-22 01:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Kaarma" is it pronounced car-muh? I have to believe he is going to get to understand karma in prison.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-05-22 01:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

That sounds more like the guy set a trap to me too, but I'd be pretty scared for my life too if someone had been repeatedly breaking into my house. Fired 4 shots "blindly"? He hit the guy in the head and arm. That's pretty good blind shooting. I bet he doesn't do that well at the range.

#6 | Posted by LEgregius at 2014-05-22 01:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sounds like it was a trap, yet poilce do it all the time. Another point is don't enter into property that is not yours.

#7 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-22 01:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

Setting a trap isn't necessarily bad if he planned to get the kid on camera, which is what it seemed. If he planned to kill the kid, you'd think he would have made sure there were NO cameras.

#8 | Posted by LEgregius at 2014-05-22 01:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

This story again? We have already had at least three threads devoted to it.

Spraying the inside of a dark garage with three or four shotgun blasts sure indicates to me he meant no harm.

"In court documents, Kaarma is described as acting aggressively toward other drivers on the road and telling stylists at a hair salon that he'd been waiting up at night for intruders, saying "I'm seriously going to kill some ------- kids.""

Yeah, he just want to catch them.

#9 | Posted by 726 at 2014-05-22 01:48 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by LEgregius
Agreed, yet even if he had held the kid at gun point till the police arrived would have been fine by me. Yet if his goal was to kill the kid and not just stop him, then I have a issue with it. Yet I don't feel sorry for him either, don't enter a persons property you damn well know you are not invited into.

#10 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-22 01:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-22 01:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | Posted by 726
I think we can all agree that him shooting wildly into his garage with no identified threat was wrong. Yet setting up a trap and holding him at gun point or just catching him on camera, most I would think wouldn't have issue. I would think most would agree that he was willing to take the risk of getting shot or injured going into the garage to begin with. Otherwise he wouldn't be breaking into a person private property, that or he is just plain stupid.

#12 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-22 01:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I like the part where he was pissed that someone stole his bong out of the garage."

Pretty good grounds for shooting the rip-off artist. If I was on the jury, I would vote not guilty after hearing that.

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-22 01:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

In court documents, Kaarma is described as .... telling stylists at a hair salon that he'd been waiting up at night for intruders, saying "I'm seriously going to kill some ------- kids."
It seems fairly clear to me that his intent was to "kill some ------- kids".

#14 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-05-22 01:58 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

We know. Only apparently it wasn't the same kid.

#15 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-22 01:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

"We know"

Who is "we"?

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-22 02:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Well then he would certainly be in the wrong, and should be charged with murder. Yet people do say some pretty crazy things they will never do if push came to shove. In this case I would have to see the evidence along with the statements from the hairstylist to get the complete picture of what the hell went on that night, it does seem like he shot himself in the foot with that statement.

#17 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-22 02:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Don't worry. Any real libertarian would have done the same.

#18 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-22 02:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | Posted by nullifidian

I am looking forward to a rehash of the old Wanting to get Raped in the Bar Defense.

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-22 02:19 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Man's Defense for Killing Teen: 'Castle Doctrine'

"... his lawyer says -- but that doesn't change the fact that it was justified. "It was so dark in there and there was a metal-on-metal noise and a fast-moving reaction. Markus didn't know if he was being charged, if he was going to be shot,"

As for how Kaarma plans to defend his actions, Ryan says he'll use the "Castle Doctrine," a law Montana passed in 2009 that asserts a man's home is his castle and can be defended as such. It gives the homeowner the benefit of the doubt, placing the burden of proof for "justifiable use of force" on prosecutors."

www.newser.com

"I didn't know if I was in danger so I killed him."

That must be perfectly reasonable on some planet.

#21 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-22 02:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

I would not have a problem with that whatsoever. But his comments before the killing that he was waiting to kill some kids is keen insight into his true motives.

#22 | Posted by 726 at 2014-05-22 02:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Agreed, he is going to have a hell of a time explain those comments he made.

#23 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-22 02:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Reinforcing my notion that most criminals are really stupid. The others are CEO's and politicians.

#24 | Posted by 726 at 2014-05-22 03:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sounds like he deliberately put himself in that position. He set a trap - I guess in my book given the scenario castle doctrine automatically disappears - legally speaking I don't know. Instead of hitting the light to see what he caught as he stepped out when his trap was sprung - he simply started blasting. Given that I am sure it wasn't pitch black in the garage as he left it open to invite in some "kid" with the purse bait. Therefore I am pretty sure he could see enough to at least know if he "was getting charged" and likely if the kid was armed...

#25 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-05-22 04:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Attn: Parents in Germany (and the rest of Western Europe} The gun-nut vigilantes in the USA are armed and ready to kill-murder, I recommend that don't send your kids here, just a friendly suggestion

A public service announcement ... Sammy

#26 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-05-22 05:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Kaarma is now virtually a prisoner in his own home, afraid to go outside.

Kaarma meet Karma.

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-22 06:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

The shot pattern should be interesting. It will show if he was just randomly blasting into the garage or actually shooting at something.

#28 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-05-22 06:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

The real story here is that the shooter was under the influence of an illegal substance. His version of 'reasonable' will come under intense scrutiny.

#29 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2014-05-22 09:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Updated
Attn: Parents in Germany (and the rest of Western Europe} The gun-nut NRA vigilantes in GUN-CRAZY USA are armed and ready to kill-murder and injure, I highly recommend that don't send your kids here, just a friendly suggestion

I would highly recommend you send your exchange students to Switzerland, Canada, Japan, Finland or Australia not only will they get superior education (Finland is #1) if they chose to work part time they will earn a higher minimum wage, and finding a job is easier due to the lower unemployment rate

A public service announcement ...by Sammy

#30 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-05-22 10:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yes, keep 'em in Europe where crime is non-existent and people don't get murdered.

what a drama queen.

But yes, better educations can be had elsewhere unless you choose the right schools. You got that right without having to wear a tiara

#31 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-22 10:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

WTF happened to my post here? Seems like No 19 is missing.

#32 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-05-22 10:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

"WTF happened to my post here?"

Did it get moderated?

#33 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-05-22 10:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

A public service announcement ... Sammy

#26 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-05-22 05:47 PM | Reply | Flag

Oh yeah, don't forget to remind the Europeans that gun-nut Americans saved there asses 2-3 times from totalitarian rule and continues to protect them with our military at American taxpayer expense.

#34 | Posted by danv at 2014-05-22 10:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Che Guevara never murdered anyone. That's why liberals love him.

#35 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-05-23 02:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

Che Guevara never murdered anyone. That's why liberals love him.

#35 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-05-23 02:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

He was a murdering dirtbag. Not a drown the whole world and kill every firstborn son of Egypt level dirtbag. But still pretty bad.

#36 | Posted by sully at 2014-05-23 09:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

"WTF happened to my post here?"

Did it get moderated?

#33 | Posted by REDIAL

I didn't cuss or attack anyone. I stated that if it was so dark, how would he know that the burgler wasn't going to shoot him.

#37 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-05-23 11:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

You know I can;t help but think of a simple fact:

While only a lunatic would set this "trap"; this "trap" could only be sprung by a worthless excuse for a human being..

As far as I'm concerned, one scumbag killed another, and that scumbag, in turn, is going away.

I ask to both sides.... What, exactly, is lost to society here that was so valuable?

#38 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-05-23 07:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

"What, exactly, is lost to society here that was so valuable?"

The concept that the death penalty should be applied by due process and not some trigger happy nut with a shotgun?

#39 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-05-24 10:31 AM | Reply | Flag: