Thursday, May 22, 2014

The first two bulls at Spain's San Isidro Festival in Madrid gored and bashed three bullfighters, putting them out of action and forcing authorities to suspend a bullfight at the festival for the first time in 35 years. There were still four more bulls to fight that day, out of the usual six on the card, but no more bullfighters. The three injured bullfighters are recovering in a hospital. The two bulls were killed.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

global interventionism = bullfighting.

those hired to do the dirty business are injured, the fearsome foes are killed...

...and the crowd cheers, drops down more cash and asks for more.

#1 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-05-22 11:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

Now as it is not my country; I mostly don't really care what other nationalities call sport, but I do admit to cheering for the bull.

#2 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-22 11:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

Viva el toro!

#3 | Posted by montecore at 2014-05-22 12:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

I cheer for the bulls.

#4 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-05-22 12:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

The two bulls were killed.

That's not fair. The bulls won. They should get to live.

#5 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-05-22 01:06 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

After a fight they are not good for anything except the butcher shop.

#6 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-05-22 02:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

I always root for the bull, up against several men on horses or with weapons. Most Hispanic countries have dropped this "sport". There isn't nearly as much interest in the show anymore. I believe the reason these "athletes" got waxed by the bulls is they didn't drug the animals this time.

#7 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-05-22 02:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

After a fight they are not good for anything except the butcher shop.

#6 | Posted by Sniper

Neither are you. Yet here you are.

#8 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-05-22 02:29 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Phew, for a minute I thought San Fermines had started and I'd missed the the morning bull run. Just useless San Isidro.

And Docnjo, you sound as if know as much about toros as I do tractor pulling.

#9 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-05-22 02:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm taking bets that the guy won't be fighting next month! What a moron!

#10 | Posted by parjosg2 at 2014-05-22 02:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

www.youtube.com

#11 | Posted by parjosg2 at 2014-05-22 02:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ole'

#12 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2014-05-22 03:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

In Michener's novel, Mexico, part of plot revolves around two matadors, one bullfighting royalty & his rival, a squat but competent Indian. The former's dad & brothers worked for him & were interrupted while dulling the horns of a fierce bull he'd face, so they dropped a bag of wet cement from above on the animal's hips just before he went into the ring. He still put up a good fight, but...

Then, there is the Spanish tradition i didn't know about until yesterday, el Toro de la Vega (Bull of Fire event) in Tordesillas, Spain, in which torches are attached to a bull's horns, and he runs around going mad until he is speared to death. Never has a chance to harm his tormentors. Classy bunch of good Christian Catholics, those Spaniards.

#13 | Posted by kenx at 2014-05-22 04:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-05-22 05:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ferdinand strikes back!

#15 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-05-22 05:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Bull meat tastes rancid.

#16 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-05-22 06:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

I watched a bullfight on TV once and the bull put a horn straight up the matadore's rectum. Swung him around a few times too.

The crowd cheered.

The matador died!

So did the bull.

#17 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-05-22 06:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

**** HOORAY for the Bulls!!!

#18 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-05-22 08:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sorry no sympathy from me for the 3 seriously injured stupid bullfighters (wannabe bull-murderers) Spain could learn from the USA's professional wrestling folks and their tea-party members in the audience Make the sport COMPLETELY FAKE like our wrestling or roller derby, and the idiots in the crowd will still eat it up. And the promoters and "athletes" will make $$$ Millions And no one dies !

#19 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-05-22 09:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

#19 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI

Damn, and all the time I thought you libs wanted the US to be more like Europe.

#20 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-05-22 10:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Love bull-fighting, reminds me of bull-riding here in the states, the animals actually have a fair shot of hurting there opponent.

Re - #19 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI

Over-extrapolation; is mocking people and making illogical associations all you mind can do?

#21 | Posted by danv at 2014-05-22 11:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

Rodeo bulls aren't treated the same. Stock owners who provide those bulls have a lot of money invested and pay nearly as much attention to a bull's pedigree as one might expect from a thoroughbred horse owner.

Good bucking bulls are money on the hoof and that ain't hamburger.

#22 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-05-23 08:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | POSTED BY KENX

Tordesillas is a travesty and will hopefully be banned, like that ludicrous throw the goat out the window tradition that is now finable up to 1 million EUR. I've never seen it. What I have seen in south coastal Spain are open to public events are held at a dock where one side of the ring faces the Mediterranean sea. The idea is to entice the bull (small, under 300 kg) to follow you into the water. There is a ramp for the bull to walk up so that the festivities continue. Its crazy but I must admit there's fun in seeing the participants diving in the water with the bull trying to put on the brakes before he too ultimately ends up with a bath.

Also, about Catholic Spain, when you've lived in Spain as long as I have, you realize the country is less secular than the US.

#23 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-05-23 10:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

"CrisisStills, I have watched these performances twice, once in Monetary during the late 70s, and in Seville Spain in 1993. A lot of trouble to butcher some beef."

#14 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

Never heard of Monetary, sure you got that right. I lived in Spain from 1997 to 2011 and would never consider going to a see "real" bullfighting like in Ventas or Sevilla since I'm principally antitaurino. However, I have been at the Pamplona ring, "in the sun" part, meaning one big party and you don't even realize they are torreros risking their lives. I have also been to a ring in my pueblo but just to see the youngsters jump the bulls and act macho.

#24 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-05-23 10:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

It's sad that we still fight/abuse animals for entertainment.

#25 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-05-23 10:54 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Grace, we do the same thing to people.

#26 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-05-23 11:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

#26 People can defend themselves and make decisions to participate like MMA matches, Boxing, Football. Dogs, roosters, bulls, etc have no decision in the process. Less humans and more animal kingdom works for me.

#27 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-05-23 06:34 PM | Reply | Flag: