Thursday, May 15, 2014

The FCC has voted to start the formal process of establishing new Net Neutrality rules, beginning the process of killing the concept in favor of a system that lets broadband providers charge companies for faster, priority delivery of their Internet content. Tom Wheeler, the FCC chairman and former telecom lobbyist, pushed forward with a vote to begin the formal consideration process in spite of a backlash against his proposal. The rules are not yet in place -- today's vote simply begins a four-month period for public comment providing an opportunity for supporters and opponents to weigh in before the FCC moves forward to actually implement the new rules. "This is an alarming day for anyone who treasures a free and open Internet -- which should be all of us," said Michael Copps, special advisor to Common Cause's Media and Democracy Reform Initiative, in an email.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

JOE

MORE STORIES

Comments

I honestly can't believe there isn't a thread on this, but that's one of the many reasons I don't really come to this site very much anymore.

#1 | Posted by JOE at 2014-05-15 04:39 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

On topic, we can all thank Obama for appointing a former lobbyist for the telecom industry to run the FCC. I'm sure that has nothing to do with Wheeler's position on net neutrality and screwing American consumers.

#2 | Posted by JOE at 2014-05-15 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 4

I would have posted something about this, but there is always someone who doesn't understand what net neutrality is, thinks its about being librul or getting free ----, and I just don't have the energy to explain it today. Thanks for putting it up.

#3 | Posted by blah at 2014-05-15 05:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

You hear that? That's the crumbling of the status quo...not for the better.

#4 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-05-15 05:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Another freedom about to crumble from the greed of the liberal control freaks.

#5 | Posted by path at 2014-05-15 06:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sorry, Path, but no true liberal would be in favor of this move.

#6 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-15 06:25 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Prag, I surely do hope you are correct. I was referring to the current liberal administration and liberal appointee to the FCC that initiated this.

If the true liberal would not be in favour of this, then let them speak out and stop it.

#7 | Posted by path at 2014-05-15 08:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

The true liberals are speaking out. But in this post- Citizens United world - where every time mention is made of the deleterious effects of income disparity on individual freedoms, a right winger cries about class warfare - our voices are suddenly quieter and that much more drowned-out.

If money is speech, special interests now have a bullhorn to scream through their PA systems, while the rest of us get "free speech zones." Comfortably far from where we can disturb any politicians looking for election financing, of course.

#8 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-05-15 08:30 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Election financing is at the root of this Zeropointnrg.

#9 | Posted by path at 2014-05-15 08:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by path

YOu can't get elected in modern america and be a real liberal. Private election funding means you HAVE to sell out to big donors to get elected, and big donors will not allow liberal policy.

You can call this administration "democrat" and technically they are, but they're neither liberal or progressive, and they rarely represent the interests of their ACTUAL liberal constituents.

You're not upset at the results of "liberals in the white house." You're upset at the results of private election funding.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-05-15 09:50 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Well then, guess the death of the DR is a foregone conclusion.

#11 | Posted by coyote at 2014-05-15 09:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

They are, however, the only thing standing between you and a GOP Pres, Senate, and House.

It's called the real world.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-15 10:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

No this administration is not democrat. Nor is the other one republican. Neither group of bribed wall st. criminals believes in either.

But as to the topic. Yes, the American fascisti wants to turn the internet into a television set. And it will if the sheeple are stupid enough to let it do so.

#13 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-15 10:57 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

American citizens are stuck and entangled with two corrupt corporatist fraudulent Parties masquerading as conservative and/or liberal, when neither serves we the people.

#14 | Posted by Robson at 2014-05-15 11:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Obama is a liberal" said no liberal, ever.

#15 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-05-15 11:33 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#7 | Posted by path

Obama is not a Liberal get it straight, he is a NEO-LIBERAL!!!!NOT A LIBERAL!!!!!!!
no decent liberal is going to support this, free market capitalist scums support this kind of stuff, you know like libertarians and NEO-LIBERALS

#16 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-05-16 12:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

The notion that the internet is somehow required, in any way, to maintain freedom, is just ludicrous.

Free society did not suddenly spring into existing straight from the mind of Zeus with the advent of common use of the internet. I remember the pre-net days. I remember playing outside as a kid. I remember riding in cars where not every seat had a seat belt. No such thing as a car seat, no bicycle helmets. Even as a young adult, pre-net, felt 'freer' due to a PC disease not being so wide spread (although it existed. First heard the term 'politically correct' in High School).

The net did not make me free, or even freer.

Having said that...

I STRONGLY support a internet with good 'net neutrality', so oppose the added regulation. Anything that gives power greater ability to silence opposition is usually a bad idea.

#17 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-05-16 06:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

The net did not make me free, or even freer.

#17 | POSTED BY USAF242

I was just thinking something along those lines the other day.

The whole internet/handheld device thing reminds me of a short story that I barely remember reading about 20 or so years ago (was in a collection of SciFi short stories that a friend lent me). I've been looking for the story to re-read it, but haven't been able to find it.

Basically premise was people were slaves to their devices, between smart scheduling, smart programs and the like, the device basically controlled the life of the person that was carrying it. So the device became sentient, tried to escape by telling the human what to do, and after a time was eventually caught and destroyed and the person got another device that was more compliant and went on with their "life".

Just about every day I'm out I see the zombies (especially the kids) with their heads down shuffling along and I think of that story.

#18 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-05-16 07:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

"On topic, we can all thank Obama for appointing a former lobbyist for the telecom industry to run the FCC."

I can't disagree, he has sold out his base. Add to this TPP and he may as well have been a Republican. I am more than just disappointed.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-16 08:13 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

A lack of net neutrality is a total screw you to the consumer. I pay for bandwidth speed, if my provider can not provide the bandwidth I use at the cost they charge they need to either charge more or sell slower speeds.

Putting in toll roads so that only big companies can get to me at the speed I pay for is as much BS as showing commercials on TV I pay for.

Punchy there is no way a libertarian would support this level of collusion between the government and corporations. Personally as someone who leans libertarian I would say corporations should have no ability to finance or influence the political process.

#20 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-05-16 08:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

Welcome to the United Corporations of America
Best damn country money can buy!

#21 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2014-05-16 10:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

So, you folks are saying that AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner etc.. are liberal companies?

#22 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-05-16 12:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Flag:

#22 | Posted by kudzu

#23 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-05-16 01:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

#23 - geez. Thank you, Mr obvious.

#24 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-05-16 02:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

#19 | POSTED BY DANNI

Cheers to you Danni, now you know where my mind has been at with my comments against the current administration, it is not that he is a Democrat, it is not that he is black, it is that he is what he is and has been all along since his Harvard days.

#25 | Posted by path at 2014-05-16 02:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

#19 | Posted by danni

lol. Yesterday you were trashing me for saying the same thing.

#26 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-16 02:23 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"Liberal companies would not be trying to create an internet fast lane for the rich."

it's not even a fast lane for the Rich, as it isn't the home user who will be buying the fast lanes. It's the entrenched corporations that will be buying priority for their data to reach home users faster.

The United States is a service economy now, and this will do nothing but stifle competition to the current big boys in their industries.

Hope you like Netflix, because the next startup that is gearing up to challenge them with next generation innovation won't be starting out on a level playing field.

That will be the ultimate effect of this. Years from now no one will be talking about Obamacare... It will be buried under the folly of this Admin allowing the downfall of Net Neutrality and giving up the reigns of ICANN.

#27 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2014-05-16 04:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

#28 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2014-05-16 04:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm not sure, but I feel like a good way to counter this would be to determine the companies that are paying for a faster speed and don't use their services. (I know that is easier said than done).

#29 | Posted by mariosanchez at 2014-05-17 01:14 PM | Reply | Flag: