Thursday, May 15, 2014

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!" screams Dr. Strangelove (Peter Sellers), the ex-Nazi nuclear scientist, rising from his wheelchair to salute the American president at the climax of Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Stanley Kubrick's satirical masterpiece is now a half century old ... and it remains as outrageously prankish, juvenile and derisive as ever.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Corky

MORE STORIES

It may be hard to believe now, but Kubrick's original intention was to do a straight, serious movie. In the late fifties, he became obsessed with the possibility of an accidental nuclear war (he even thought of leaving New York for the greater safety of Australia).

Comments

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room"!

classic

#1 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2014-05-15 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

^...^

lol

ahhh the good old days when you could actually ride that nuke in.

Now it will probably be delivered by drones.

#2 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-15 08:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

One of the best movies ever. I can't count how many times I've seen it and it's rare I watch a move more than one or two times.

I heard that movie was supposed to have been released several months earlier, but was delayed because of Kennedy's assassination.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-15 09:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Crappy over rated movie.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-15 10:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Still have it on DVD. Many classic moments.

#5 | Posted by willowby at 2014-05-15 11:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

To bad they didn't mention Fail Safe the (other cold war movie). Both made in 1964 but Strangelove was released before FS, and the rest is history.
When Fail-Safe opened, it garnered excellent reviews, but its box-office performance was poor. Its failure rested with the similarity between it and the mutually assured destruction satire Dr. Strangelove, which appeared in theaters first. Despite this, the film later was applauded as a Cold War thriller. The novel sold through to the 1980s and 1990s, and the film was given high marks for retaining the essence of the novel.[3] Over the years, both the novel and the movie were well-received for their depiction of a nuclear crisis, although garnering a legion of critical reviews that centered on the one fallacy, in that the "fail safe" command sequence was misinterpreted.[2]

#6 | Posted by Badcat at 2014-05-16 12:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-15 09:05 PM | Reply

The assassination caused a change in the dialogue. When Major Kong goes through the contents of their survival gear, it was originally to be "A fellow could have a good time in Dallas with this." and changed to "Las Vegas" in post production. nobody was associating Dallas with good times that year.

#7 | Posted by morris at 2014-05-16 04:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

Still use the phrase,

"We have negative function".

But only those who are dying to actually use nukes don't see the humor.

#8 | Posted by 88120rob at 2014-05-16 06:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

First saw this early in high school, early 80s. Remember thinking "OMG, they've got young Darth Vader!" James Earl Jones voice ftw.

My favorite exchange is sadly not a one liner, its the one where Dr Strange Love describes the 'genius' of a 'doomsday device' and then goes off on the Russian ambassador and gets the "wanted it to be a surprise' reply. The various POE exchanges with General Jack D. Ripper and his British aid running a close close second.

#9 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-05-16 07:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.

#10 | Posted by madscientist at 2014-05-16 10:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

Every time I see a B-52 (and it's not an uncommon sight in San Antonio) I can't help but to hear "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again" play in my head.

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-16 11:05 AM | Reply | Flag:

-When Fail-Safe opened,

That movie scared the crap outta me. I was about 12, and all the kids in America at that time had lived through years of "Bomb Drills"; K-12 kids being hustled out into the halls at the school bells or sirens to sit with our hands covering our heads... like that would help when the eb'il Russkies dropped the Big One on us.

That movie was intense and dramatic and real, unlike the parody of the times that Dr. Stranglove was.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-16 11:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

at its core, what this movie shows is all it takes is one crazy person in or affiliated with the military to start the events that will eventually lead to world war 3...

#13 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-05-16 11:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

C'mon. It's a fictional movie. It doesn't "show" any such thing.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-16 11:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

4: Are you high?

#15 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-16 11:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

"4: Are you high?"

maybe he is isn't but i sure am.

#16 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-05-16 11:36 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

My favorite Nu parody is 99 Red Balloons great song but oh so creepy when you listen to the lyrics.

Sorry I know only related to Dr. Strangelove on a philosophical level still when I think of one I inevitably think of the other.

#17 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-05-16 11:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

Nu = nuclear holocaust

dog started barking at the UPS man and distracted me.

#18 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-05-16 12:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

We'll Meet Again - Vera Lynn

www.youtube.com

You will remember this from the ending of the movie.

#19 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-05-16 12:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

"at its core, what this movie shows is all it takes is one crazy person in or affiliated with the military to start the events that will eventually lead to world war 3..

C'mon. It's a fictional movie. It doesn't "show" any such thing.
#14 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-16 11:29 AM"

At its core (and Kubrick's intent), the movie is a display of the macabre comedy inherent in following a policy of mutually assured destruction:

"In collaboration with George, Kubrick started writing a screenplay based on the book. While writing the screenplay, they benefited from some brief consultations with Schelling and, later, Herman Kahn.[28] In following the tone of the book, Kubrick originally intended to film the story as a serious drama. But, as he later explained during interviews, he began to see comedy inherent in the idea of mutual assured destruction as he wrote the first draft. Kubrick said:

My idea of doing it as a nightmare comedy came in the early weeks of working on the screenplay. I found that in trying to put meat on the bones and to imagine the scenes fully, one had to keep leaving out of it things which were either absurd or paradoxical, in order to keep it from being funny; and these things seemed to be close to the heart of the scenes in question.[29]

Among the titles Kubrick considered for the film were Dr. Doomsday or: How to Start World War III Without Even Trying, Dr. Strangelove's Secret Uses of Uranus, and Wonderful Bomb.[30] After deciding to make the film a black comedy, Kubrick brought in Terry Southern as a co-writer. The choice was influenced by reading Southern's comic novel The Magic Christian, which Kubrick had received as a gift from Peter Sellers,[4] and which itself became a Sellers film in 1969."

en.wikipedia.org

#20 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2014-05-16 12:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

One of the best movies ever made. [...]

#21 | Posted by Dave at 2014-05-16 12:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

One of the best movies ever made.

But goatman thinks so too,

No, I don't think that. The best movie ever made was made by the same diretor, though. 2001: A Space Odyssey

and he's a complete retard.

#22 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-16 01:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

"One of the best movies ever."

"No, I don't think that."

???

At least I am mature enough not to have to call people names and strong enough to not have them stuck in my head, dave. Just sayin' . . ."

And no sense of ironic humor.

#23 | Posted by Dave at 2014-05-16 01:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-05-16 11:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

Or one crazy person who over uses executive orders. Hmmmmmmm

Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!

#24 | Posted by e_pluribus_unum at 2014-05-16 02:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Anyone else notice the similarity between Rand Paul and Dr Strangelove?

I can easily imagine the hand as representing the Tea Party constantly trying to strangle him.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-16 03:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-16 03:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

You can easily imagine anything considering the amount of dope you smoke. I surmise you can imagine heffalumps running around in your house most days.

#26 | Posted by e_pluribus_unum at 2014-05-16 04:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 | Posted by e_pluribus_unum

Well, it is true MJ does give you special insight sometimes you might have never had otherwise.

For instance now I can easily imagine YOU as a heffalump.

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-16 06:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

Crappy over rated movie.

#4 | Posted by Tor

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a GREAT movie. I never get tired of it.

#28 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-05-16 10:27 PM | Reply | Flag: