Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The artist H.R. Giger, designer of the look of the monster in the Alien series of movies, died Monday in a hospital after suffering injuries in a fall, the administrator of his museum in Switzerland said. Giger was 74. Giger's works, often showing macabre scenes of humans and machines fused into hellish hybrids, influenced a generation of movie directors and inspired an enduring fashion for "biomechanical" tattoos. "My paintings seem to make the strongest impression on people who are, well, who are crazy," Giger said in a 1979 interview with Starlog magazine. "If they like my work they are creative ... or they are crazy."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

GalaxiePete

MORE STORIES

Comments

One of the most cool science fiction movies ever and his version of the Alien made the movie.

I was always fascinated by his art. His art is at times truly twisted to say the least. So dark (and not just in color) it is disturbing.

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-05-13 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

ELP Brain Salad Surgery album covers (ah, vinyl!)

upload.wikimedia.org

#2 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-05-13 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Years before Alien, I knew Geiger as the artist who did the cover for Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery an album I loved in HS.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-13 04:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

With inside art:

www.brain-salad-surgery.de

#4 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-13 04:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Harry -- you never told me what year and where you studied under Boz Scaggs. I'm really interested. It intrigues me having grown up in the same neighborhood as the Scaggs family and having ties with them.

Helen (his mother) was an RN who helped my mom at home during her last months of life. His dad and my dad played poker with other neighborhood gents before Parkinson's tore him up.

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-13 04:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Giger's bits on the "extras" portion of the "Alien" complete DVD set are fascinating. He seemed possessed of the kind of creative imagination that - if you had it - might provide ample reason for not switching off really the lights at night.

#6 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-05-13 05:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

You're right. I saw it. I've got the 9 DVD set too. LOL But I have it for a different reason than Giger: Sigourney

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-13 05:14 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

I almost don't believe he's dead.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-13 06:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Weird. Many of us are ----- to one another in the usual tirades, then put it away for interesting stories or "real life" stuff. Too bad that's not happening this time.

#12 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-05-13 09:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

Giger is adored by fans globally and has easily the most recognizable style of biomorphology in art. I bought a floppy screen saver for Win95 back in the day for around $10 - mainly flying fetus in tophats floating along gigantic tubes, a warning against copulation or just strangely steam punk it was unique and beloved. The floppy was accompanied by an audio cassette short story written and recited by Harlan Ellison. Considering we also owe to Scott's mastery of Giger's penetrating vision, thus 'alien' chest-burst itself into our hearts.

#13 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-05-13 09:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

I almost don't believe he's dead.

#11 | Posted by Tor

better check his chest

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-13 09:59 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

the dark art was fun when i was a kid & it was just "fantasy." Not so much when life begins to imitate art. (i too produced some drawings i've got reservations about now.) (i like ELP #1 & 2(Tarkus); BSS had about one cut i thought kicked @$$; then Emerson started effing up concerts 'cause he was playing drunk, & band dissolved ~ King Crimson, now that's some serious ---!)

#15 | Posted by kenx at 2014-05-14 01:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

I did not know that! Wow, you learn something new every day.

I remember in 1979, then living in Paris, walking through the metro stops with the Alien poster all over the place. Just the egg with that greenish light coming through, no text whatsoever, probably the greatest movie ad campaign ever. Geiger's creation was amazing and his art books are worth a look. Species, not a great movie but commendable work from Mr. Geiger. RIP.

#16 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-05-14 09:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

The guy was a visionary. His work creeped me out.

#17 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-05-14 11:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

"better check his chest"

His chest and that of everyone in the building where he died.

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-14 01:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

"He truly was one of a kind, committed to his craft, to his friends and to his family. His warm personality, incredible generosity, and sharp sense of humor, were in stark contrast with the universe he depicted in his art. We would like to express our gratitude to the wonderful tributes that have been written following H.R. Giger's death. These kind words and appreciation of his artistry continue to nourish and lift our hearts at this most devastating of times, and to know that his art has inspired and entertained so many people is of unimaginable comfort." tribute on hrgiger.com

#19 | Posted by kenx at 2014-05-15 09:22 AM | Reply | Flag: