Tuesday, May 13, 2014

There are many things that bother Jon Cooper about the market for marijuana. "It's nearly impossible to find a consistent product," said Cooper, one of the legion of tech start-up guys and M.B.A.s plunging into the world of pot. "You go into a dispensary and buy something called 'Sour Diesel' and try it. You go to another dispensary, buy 'Sour Diesel,' and it's a different experience. You go back to the first dispensary, buy it again and it's not the same, either." A joint might never be as easy to access as a can of beer or a cigarette. But thousands of people and millions of dollars are hard at work to make it as predictable and dependable as one. Call it the Bud Light-ification of bud.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

AndreaMackris

MORE STORIES

I thought I would rub this in Nulli's nose, offered to set him up with a little shop of his own, then franchise it ...

Comments

Cooper's lament also applies to the realm of edibles, where marijuana oils and snacks can vary wildly in quality and potency. A recent study by The Denver Post, for instance, revealed large disparities between the amount of THC stated on an edible item's package and what the product actually contained. Usually, the problem was underdosing: One chocolate "Star Barz" had 0.37 milligrams of the drug's main psychoactive component, when it had been advertised as having 100 milligrams.
This is the experience I had a few weeks ago that I was talking about on another thread. The package adverised that one candy bar had as much THC as one joint. I ate half of it. I was very high for 24 hours. The first 6 or so hours after eating that stuff, I couldn't even stand up or figure out how to answer my phone when it rang. My head was cloudy for three days. That never happened to me from smoking half of a joint. It was a very, very bad experience and it is doubtful I'll ever eat pot candy again because of it.

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-13 11:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

Smoking is better anyway: no calories. At least until you demolish half of a blueberry pie.

#2 | Posted by ness_gadol at 2014-05-13 01:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

There's no product regulation in the pot world. It's all voluntary, and requires you to be an informed shopper. It's easy to be informed, used the website. You can tell if a strain is what it claims to be just by looking at it.

#3 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-05-13 02:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

"You can tell if a strain is what it claims to be just by looking at it."

No you can't. It needs to be lab-tested to know how potent it is. Lab-testing will be required eventually as more states legalize, and that's good. Of course, regulation is socialistic...

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-13 02:42 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"I thought I would rub this in Nulli's nose, offered to set him up with a little shop of his own, then franchise it......"

Ok. lol. On the other thread I posted a link to what appears to be a very professional operation. This is what consumers are going to demand as legalization expands.

"Each Cheeba Chew are cut within precise weight tolerances, ensuring consistent medicinal effects every time for patients. We produces all of our cannabis extract in house to make sure we have complete control over the ENTIRE process start to with. We have perfected our process to consistently make the safest pharmaceutical grade cannabis extract possible, while activating 98%+ of the available cannabinoids. Every single batch of extract is tested for THC, CBD, and CBN content. We also test with edibles on a monthly basis to ensure that we are sticking to our promise of making the most potent and consistent cannabis edible on the market."

#5 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-13 02:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

"You can tell if a strain is what it claims to be just by looking at it."
#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-13 02:42 PM

You are promoting "regulation" like Reynolds products?

Many people loathe that concept and would rather generate economics locally through the boutique and bar experience. I would much rather purchase a local product than anything corporate, particularly avoiding those that use undue influence to squeeze out a prosperous local industry.

An additional reason for such different experiences is metabolism, not just the strain.

Changing strains heavy in CBD versus THC content is shocking to many common users. CBD-heavy strains not only cure cancers but the "high" is extremely different, relaxing almost clarifying rather than stoned. Contented. The face of actual medicine. That is where you should focus your regulations - oncology must be limited to post-CBD treatment as last options.

#6 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-05-13 03:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

" I would much rather purchase a local product than anything corporate, particularly avoiding those that use undue influence to squeeze out a prosperous local industry." - RedLight

But if you couldn't get consistency would you continue?

For instance what you are say was also true of many mainstream products today, but one product or another became a big market player.

I used to not buy pre built computers, but today its not even a problem, and the quality is better....

I figure in the future the same model will work for MJ.

Regarding Nulli #5 - eventually I figured your shop would be "professional" too, but less corporate....

#7 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-13 03:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Many people loathe that concept and would rather generate economics locally through the boutique and bar experience"

They can loathe all they want. It's not unreasonable to require lab-tested products in cannabis shops. That's good for consumers and bad for drug-warriors.

#8 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-13 03:39 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#1 | Posted by goatman

The directions for use of some of these products is certainly unclear. I occasionally use some of the candy. But when I do, I only eat about half of a little square, thanks to the direction of someone in the know.

#9 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-05-13 04:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Another thing I noticed with the candy: The high kept "coming on". I first noticed the effects about half an hour after I took it. I just kept getting higher and higher and higher for at least 5 or six hours until it peaked. Then I was in that peaked state for what seemed like forever -- probably about 10 hours. But I was still very high even 24 hours later.

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-13 04:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Front Page without a title change... I did it!!!!

Today is a great day, climb MtHamilton to watch the ToC and a Title makes it to the front page..... sheesh I have the rest of the day to relax....

Maybe RCade can change it to what I wanted originally "Capitalist Take a Toke"....

#11 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-13 04:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe RCade can change it to what I wanted originally "Capitalist Take a Toke".

Nah. You'd be one toke over the line then

#12 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-13 04:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

Puff Puff Give Goatman Puff Puff Give...

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-13 04:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 -- LOL That's what my friends and GF say when the joint gets passed around.

I used to smoke dope like a fiend, especially when I was in the Navy. But it's just not that attractive to me anymore for some reason. Not trying to sound self-righteous, I just don't enjoy getting high anymore. And after the horrible experience with that edible stuff last month, I KNOW I won't be doing that anymore. I'll stick to my three or four puffs a year (one at a time on different occasions for each one) that I've been doing for 20 or more years.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-13 04:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

Capitalists Take a Toke of Marijuana

And dealers prolly thought the drug cartels were bad enough....

#15 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-13 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Pot growers were always the most ruthless capitalists. Fought regulation, sometimes to the death...paid no taxes...outsourced even if the quality was worse from foreign sources...

#16 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-05-13 04:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Edible weed is probably one of the more asinine delivery mechanisms devised (do they do Tylenol brownies? how about a morphine cookie?). Given the tendency of people to overindulge their appetite for food, delay in impact due to, and the vagaries of, the digestive process, and and the variability in drug content, it's asking for trouble.

#17 | Posted by censored at 2014-05-13 05:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | POSTED BY CORKY

Like I told Nulli, they won't know what hit them........

#18 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-13 05:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | Posted by goatman

Maybe you ead the package wrong. Perhaps one square has as much THC as one joint.
You used a whole head of garlic when the recipe called for a clove.
Also, when you ingest it, you ingest all the THC. When you smoke a joint, lots of it is lost by being burnt up, and by vaporizing into the air. The first hits of a joint is strongest because the hot air from the cherry strips the THC from the weed that isn't undergoing active combustion. Smoking a joint is an inefficient but simple method of vaporizing THC for absorption through the lungs.

You ever used chewing tobacco? You don't put a whole cigarette's worth of tobacco in your mouth at once.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-13 05:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

How is the GOP going to handle this in 2016 prez run? Mexicans, Gays and Weed are now OK in our book!!!

#20 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2014-05-13 06:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

"You used a whole head of garlic when the recipe called for a clove." - Snoofy

thats how I read most recipes...

#21 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-13 06:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Call it the Bud Light-ification of bud.

I know a couple industry people. They use the term the "Walmartization" of weed. It's inevitable. Just need the Fed to stop picking on those wacky potheads!

#22 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2014-05-13 06:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

AS...
"Trust us. Weve learned. We now publicly support the things we secretly paid for! Hope and change 2014!!!"

#23 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-05-13 06:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's inevitable.
#22 | POSTED BY AUNTIESOCIAL

It was inevitable when Philip Morris started copyrighting the name of popular strains like White Widow and Mowie Wowie.

#24 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-05-13 06:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Does Joe Cooper also wonder why a '12 Shiraz from Australia tastes different from a '11 Shiraz from California?

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-13 06:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

You can go back to the very same plant and pick a bud that will give you a completely different "experience".

It is the nature of the product. It is not the same as brewing beer. Even with the same seed different growing conditions (and the variables are huge) even very slight can alter the quality of the crop. The top buds can be way more potent than the lower buds on the same plant. You could get more consistency by distilling out the active ingredients (THC, Cannabinoids, etc) or by selecting buds and wasting or sorting out the rest (and taking less money for it). You will need a lab. Most growers don't have labs but they do exist. I suspect this be easier and will occur more as big growers go hydro and control the environmental and nutrient conditions precisely. Anything that is not exact would have to be sorted out into a lesser grade product or turned into a lower grade hash oil.

I have actually considered going to work for one of the labs out of the Bay Area. They charge $500 a pound to analyze your crop for mold THC and cannaboid content and they will label and seal the bags with control number. They pay well for experts in the field and there is little or no risk(like growing or selling). Many dispensaries only buy this type of product now and others would prefer it if they can get it as it doesn't even need to be opened before they buy it as it is guaranteed clinical quality. If you get the label on your product it is guaranteed to be sold (a huge problem for growers is selling their weed "legally") but if you pay $500 for the privilege each pound is guaranteed to sell(last time my "friend" checked ).

#26 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-13 06:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Dammit.... where's the bong?

#27 | Posted by coyote at 2014-05-13 07:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

#25 | Posted by snoofy

Is there a minimun order... can you test a gram for less to pay out?

#28 | Posted by coyote at 2014-05-13 07:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

weedmaps.com

Goatman:
I want to reiterate that you ate waaay too much chocolate.
I know people who smoke six joints a day. But that's in one day.
I've never heard of anyone eating half a bar in one go.
Especially not a casual user.
Half a square is where most people start. Not half a bar. ZOMG.

Consulting a site like www.erowid.org would have probably saved you from that unfortunate experience.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-13 08:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN AT 2014-05-13 02:42 PM | FLAG:

Yeah, you can. It's already been done, and didn't require regulation. There are extensive databases available at your finger tips of every strain that's ever made it to dispensaries and extensive reviews. It's what you're supposed to read before you buy. The only time it's an issue is when a brand new strain is released, which is where public documentation on it starts building.

I can take you shopping and hold your hand to help you become an informed consumer, but you're buying.

#30 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-05-14 08:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

and like Donner said, all the best places are buying tested products, which is a self-regulating free market, government not required.

The last thing any emerging market like this needs is a dose of socialism. That would be government weed inspection. The first time you get a prohibitionist elected that market is in serious trouble. Hands off please, it's for the best.

#31 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-05-14 08:43 AM | Reply | Flag: