Monday, May 12, 2014

The NBA issued a statement Sunday saying that any interests Shelly Sterling may have in the L.A. Clippers would be terminated if the NBA's owners vote to force her husband, Donald Sterling, to sell the team. "Under the NBA Constitution, if a controlling owner's interest is terminated by a three-fourths vote, all other team owners' interests are automatically terminated as well," NBA spokesman Mike Bass said. "It doesn't matter whether the owners are related as is the case here. These are the rules to which all NBA owners agreed to as a condition of owning their team."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Harry_Powell

MORE STORIES

The team is held in a family trust, and sources familiar with the Clippers say they believe that Shelly Sterling has equal ownership with her husband and each takes control if the other dies. Sterling paid $12.5 million for the team in 1981, but experts have said recently the team could be sold for $1 billion or more.

Comments

I wonder if the courts will agree. Really, can she be penalized for his BS? I doubt it.
This will be an interesting court case.

#1 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-05-12 01:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

If they feel their rights are being violated then they should have their day in court.

But the stuff Shelley Sterling is saying about how much she loves the Clippers is a bit ridiculous to me. The team is good now. But for the most of the time her family owned it, they didn't invest in winning and didn't care that the team was horrible. They were bad owners who made money by keeping costs down and leeching off revenue sharing. Thirty years of not giving a damn and now we're supposed to believe the team has sentimental value? Give me a break.

#2 | Posted by sully at 2014-05-12 10:23 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-05-12 01:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

"The other owners have a right to protect their interests as well. Everyone agreed that if a super majority voted for an action, the minority would comply."

the owners have rights subject to the terms of their franchise agreement with the NFL, their lease terms with the city if they lease the stadium, etc...

$12.5 million turns into $1Billion?

sounds like a pretty good capital gain.

#4 | Posted by eberly at 2014-05-12 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

It is, Eberly, but I have trouble with collateral damage in the action against the husband, who is the only one to be punished.
I bet a court might say the NBA rule is inapplicable to the wife.

#5 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-05-12 07:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

I bet a court might say the NBA rule is inapplicable to the wife.
#5 | POSTED BY DIABLO

I'm sure there's something in the NBA/ownership agreement that allows them to do this.

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-05-12 07:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

sounds like a pretty good capital gain.
#4 | POSTED BY EBERLY

It's truly significant. Something like $300 million?

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-05-12 07:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | POSTED BY SULLY

As a former San Diego Clippers fan, I concur.

#8 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-05-12 07:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

I bet a court might say the NBA rule is inapplicable to the wife.

As of Saturday, certain NFL members better hope the same.

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-12 07:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

I bet a court might say the NBA rule is inapplicable to the wife.
#5 | Posted by Diablo

Iirc, CA is a community property state. Typically, large asset acquisitions will also require the signature of the spouse, otherwise when SHTF the open liabilities/problems arise. I bet the leagues' lawyers were aware of that and she most likely signed off.

#10 | Posted by et_al at 2014-05-12 08:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sterling's Wife Can't Keep Clippers

I guess that will mean a lot of trips to the manicurist and pedicurist

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-13 07:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

The other owners will not vote the Sterling's out. They will each be thinking 'what if my favorite mistress rats me out - the same thing could happen to me'.

#12 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-05-13 02:53 PM | Reply | Flag: