Saturday, May 10, 2014

Solar panels have returned to the roof of the White House for the first time in 28 years, the Obama administration announced Friday. More than 300 private and public organizations have committed to boosting solar power and efficiency upgrades, joining in the administration's efforts to cut carbon emissions and energy waste. In 1979, President Jimmy Carter installed 32 solar panels for heating water at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, but they were removed by the Reagan administration during a roof resurfacing in 1986. The new, American-made panels amount to 6.3 kilowatts of solar generation. "The project, which helps demonstrate that historic buildings can incorporate solar energy and energy efficiency upgrades, is estimated to pay for itself in energy savings over the next eight years," White House spokesman Matt Lehrich said.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Odd, I though Obama had panels put on in 2009.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-10 06:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

I am waiting for them to be added to Air Force One then maybe I will believe its something other than a political ploy.

I wonder how many birds will be fried by these?

#2 | Posted by mcmlcxx at 2014-05-10 08:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

then maybe I will believe its something other than a political ploy.

Well, as we all know, deficit reduction IS just a political ploy.

#3 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-10 08:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

So how much did it cost the gov in loss of solar energy when the last ones were removed until now?

#4 | Posted by THomewood at 2014-05-10 08:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm all for solar, if it is cost effective. Putting them on the White House doesn't impress me. Government can spend whatever they want and it doesn't need to make financial sense.

When they start popping up on Walmarts is when I'll notice.

#5 | Posted by sames1 at 2014-05-10 09:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

They'll produce enough energy to run six 50 watt bulbs. And this is news?

#6 | Posted by mcmlcxx at 2014-05-10 09:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

"They'll produce enough energy to run six 50 watt bulbs."

How did you come up with that?

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-05-10 10:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

When they start popping up on Walmarts is when I'll notice.
#5 | Posted by sames1

What an ignorant, right-wing thing to say.
But I repeat myself.
corporate.walmart.com

Walmart U.S. installed its 250th solar energy system, each providing 15% to 30% of a store's electricity needs. Walmart U.S. grew its number of fuel-cell sites to 42, each site providing 40% to 60% of store needs. These new systems bring us closer to our anticipated total of more than 1,000 projects worldwide.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-11 02:44 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

You'd have thought a President would have thought of setting this example back in the 1980's.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-11 10:55 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-11 11:01 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Or in the 1990s. Or should we gloss over that decade since it was dominated by a democrat president, danni?"

No, of course not, but really my post had more to do with the backwarness of the President who actually thought he was making an intelligent point by having them removed from the WH but Clinton should have had them put back up when he enter the Presidency as Obama should have done when he became President. I do hope though, that we never have anyone foolish enough to have them removed again.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-11 11:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

If Bill Clinton had them installed Bush would have just had them removed again.

Anyone wanna bet the next Republican President removes the new ones?

If I were Obama I'd try to get solar panels on top of the Reagan Building. Unless they're already there, been a while since I was in Gattaca.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-11 03:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

then maybe I will believe its something other than a political ploy.

Do you also think it's a political ploy when they put gas in their car?

#13 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-05-11 03:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

It would be good if the Republicans would at least have them stored safely when they remove them so that the Democrats don't have to buy new ones to put back up.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-11 04:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Flag:

When they start popping up on Walmarts is when I'll notice.

#5 | Posted by sames1

Better take notice:

corporate.walmart.com

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-05-11 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

I wonder how many birds will be fried by these?

#2 | Posted by mcmlcxx

Did the Koch brothers tell you solar panels fry birds?

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-05-11 04:13 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

Better take notice:

corporate.walmart.com

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-05-11 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag

Thanks for the link, some good news, even though I still don't like Wal-Mart

#17 | Posted by danv at 2014-05-11 05:17 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Posturing. People were telling him to do this immediately after his first election; he refused.

#18 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-11 06:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

I hope the next president does take them back off. But, only to replace them with something made out of graphene :)

#19 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-05-11 11:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

If the president is going to set an example for America, I wish he would just tell the truth. No better example could he set.

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-11 11:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

You can't handle the truth

#21 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-05-12 12:11 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"You mean like Bush lying to get us into the Iraqi war?"

Just thought I'd get the predictable and mindless proggie parrot squawk/response out of the way,

#22 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-12 12:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

I wonder how many birds will be fried by these?

#2 | Posted by mcmlcxx

You do know that coal kills lots and lots of birds don't you?
not only that it has filled the fish with mercury.
Coal waist also produce more radioactive than that generated by nuclear plant., the fly ash emitted by a power plant -- a by-product from burning coal for electricity -- carries into the surrounding environment 100 times more radiation than a nuclear power plant producing the same amount of energy.

#23 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-05-12 01:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

Danni, if you think solar panels are so great then why don't you put some on your broken down trailer?

#24 | Posted by mcmlcxx at 2014-05-12 01:13 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Caller on a radio talk show Friday said he had solar panels installed, enough so that he pays nothing for electricity, and it will be paid off in only three years. The cost is coming down on solar which is why the Kochs and others are worried. Trust me, they will be negotiating to buy the sun any day now.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-12 08:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

#23 | POSTED BY PUNCHYPOSSUM

From your post and the state of the current world, it doesn't seem so bad.

#26 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-12 09:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

Hmm. I wonder what firmware they're running... with the exception of the NSA, big gov isn't exactly known for its IT prowess.

www.theregister.co.uk

#27 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-05-12 10:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

If the president is going to set an example, maybe he should quit smoking

#28 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-12 01:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Trust me, they will be negotiating to buy the sun any day now.

#25 | Posted by danni

No worries danni they are all over it.

The Koch Attack on Solar Energy

#29 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-12 01:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

"They'll produce enough energy to run six 50 watt bulbs."

How did you come up with that?

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-05-10 10:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

He said to himself "Let's see what I can pull out my bum" and there he found six 50 watt bulbs.

#30 | Posted by Sully at 2014-05-12 01:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

#30 | POSTED BY SULLY

Thanks. I really needed that image of a light bulb being extracted from an ---- that morphed into a broken light bulb being extracted from an ----.

:-/

#31 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-05-12 01:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

#31 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-05-12 01:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

I was speaking figuratively. Like when someone makes up a "fact" out of thin air and we say "he pulled that out his butt".

The LAST thing I ever thought when I posted that comment is that anyone would think I was trying to say he had six lightbulbs stored where the sun don't shine. ;-)

#32 | Posted by Sully at 2014-05-12 02:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

#32 | POSTED BY SULLY

I believe you. But the result is what it is. I admit it, I have a disturbed imagination.

#33 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-05-12 02:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

I believe you.

#33 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-05-12 02:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

You do? I mean, um, of course you do!

#34 | Posted by Sully at 2014-05-12 02:07 PM | Reply | Flag: