Tuesday, May 06, 2014

I believe loneliness is the next great pandemic that our generations will deal with. I'm so happy to see this being realized and talked about more than ever while we still have time to rethink the ways we use social networking

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

nullifidian

MORE STORIES

Comments

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-06 03:35 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

..in the form of a YouTube video embedded as a link on an internet news compiling site. Irony, thy name is Nulli.

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-05-06 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

That's dumb. If you have any on-topic response other than the usual hypocrisy ad hominem, the last resort of scoundrels, let's hear it.

#3 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-06 04:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Though I'm guilty of everything the speaker was talking about. It's still an awesome and apt message.

Will society every gain the will to shut off social media and return to human interaction?

Only when something else replaces it.

It is sad.

Also liked the DR Seuss Rhyming to it.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-06 04:14 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

A better and more accurate title would be "How Abuse of Technology Destroys Human Relationships".

There's no doubt technology's abuse has a negative impact on relationships. As recently as last week I spent a few days in lovely Fredericksburg with some friends. Once couple sat through about every meal texting. It was appalling. The rest of us had our phones set on stun or just ignored them when they rang.

However, properly used, technology enriches human relationships. Because of it I am personally in contact with many people I lost touch with after I graduated from HS. (exactly 40 years ago this month, btw!) I am able to instantly see pictures of my family and friends on the other side of the country that normally would have taken a month for me to see. I can talk free to them every day now instead of a short expensive phone call once a month. It is much easier to set up rendezvous or plan events. These things have definitely enriched my relationships with others.

As with a lot of things in this world, it's the people who are the offenders, not the object. Place the blame where it belongs. Don't blame the spoon for making the person fat.

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-06 04:18 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"There's no doubt technology's abuse has a negative impact on relationships."

It's not a question of just abuse. Technologies create social effects. Technology is not neutral.

innovate.ucsb.edu

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-06 05:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

Technology has allowed me to keep in touch with my friends after I moved to the US from Canada. We email, phone, and Skype. The thing is that we do it often and we don't pretend that tech is a substitute for meeting up every few months.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-05-06 05:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

Technologies create social effects.

As my above post above indicates, I agree.

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-06 05:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Technology is not neutral.

It just turns humans into sociopaths.

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-05-06 07:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

teamcoco.com

I hope I didn't break your thread in the above comment. Sorry!!!!

#10 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-05-06 07:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

HER
does a pretty good job with topic..

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-06 08:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Every bitcoin has two sides...

#12 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-05-07 08:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

I sent this to Nulli on Facebook.....

*like*

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-07 09:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | POSTED BY MUSTANG

Its where the audience is, where else you would put it?

#14 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-07 09:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Its where the audience is, where else you would put it?"

Sally is using the tu quoque fallacy, a favorite on the retort. In this case it takes the form of: if you use technology you can't criticize technology.

#15 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-05-07 06:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Bruce Banner really messed up this thread......

Thats one way to put money in RCades wallet...

#16 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-07 08:41 PM | Reply | Flag: