Monday, May 05, 2014

Two teams of scientists published studies on Sunday showing that blood from young mice reverses aging in old mice, rejuvenating their muscles and brains. As ghoulish as the research may sound, experts said that it could lead to treatments for disorders like Alzheimer's disease and heart disease. The research builds on centuries of speculation that the blood of young people contains substances that might rejuvenate older adults. "We can turn back the clock instead of slowing the clock down," said Toren Finkel, director of the Center for Molecular Medicine at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. "That's a nice thought if it pans out."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Corky

MORE STORIES

This reversal could occur throughout the body, the new research suggests. "Instead of taking a drug for your heart and a drug for your muscles and a drug for your brain, maybe you could come up with something that affected them all," researcher Amy J. Wagers said.

Comments

cocktailcalendar.files.wordpre
ss.com

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-05 12:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

The GOP has been sucking the life out of others for decades.

#2 | Posted by censored at 2014-05-05 07:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Dracula May Have Been Onto Something...

Life Sucks?

#4 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2014-05-05 09:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

This could be a very bad thing for humanity. Fact is, people need to grow old and eventually die.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-05 10:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

.... Red Dawn!

**** Just how fast will websites be created for high school kids to sell their BLOOD?

#6 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-05-05 11:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

5 | Posted by danni a

Not really we can always limit the amount of children people have instead.
I personally have doubts this will lead to immortality but it might lead to people living longer and healthier which is a good thing.

#7 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-05-05 11:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

#5 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2014-05-05 10:14 PM | FLAG:

Absolutely disagree. The ultimate goal is immortality. I personally want nothing more than to live forever, and there is an ever so slim possibility that we will find the technology within my lifetime to make it happen. If I had to agree not to procreate, so as to not overpopulate, that seems a small price.

#8 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-05-06 12:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

#8 -- really, zpe? No way I would want to live forever. I see things on this planet going downhill quickly. I don't want to be here when it completely falls apart and we enter another dark age.

Monoculture, superbugs, wars, etc. will ensure this happens sooner than later. I'm glad I at least got the bulk of my lifetime (hopefully all) of it before this happens.

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-06 12:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

" I'm glad I at least got the bulk of my lifetime (hopefully all) of it before this happens."

#9 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

You've got the bulk covered, that's for sure.

#10 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-05-06 12:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

You've got the bulk covered

Yep. The actuarial tables (as well as common sense) pretty much bear this out. Thanks for your input, cap'n obvious.

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-06 12:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2014-05-06 12:25 AM | FLAG:

The potential for a wrong turn is certainly there. No doubt about it.

Yet, there is so much reason for optimism yet. We live in the greatest era to have ever lived in, materially at least.

I'm not well off. But my place is too small for all my junk. I was looking in the closet the other day and quietly realized to myself how ridiculous we are. My gf and I alone have too many jackets to fit in it. It's not all some ridiculous fashion thing - I have a heavy black fleece, great for working on automotive stuff in the cold - doesn't show oil and grease stains much - a couple rather dressy leather jackets that match most outfits well for going out, a wind and water resistant nylon one I use as a shell for snowboarding and hiking, either over other stuff, or as a light single layer itself, and more hoodies than I can justify, etc.

Rambling on about my clothes because there was a time, be it centuries, or even decades ago in places, where most people had a work coat, and if they were lucky or somewhat successful, maybe a nice Sunday one. Same for shoes. I have hiking, running, work boots, dive and snowboarding boots. My grandfather used to cobble his own. I give spares to Goodwill.

Not boasting. Again, I'm far from well off. We have a couple cars, though. Those were once a luxury only the rich had. Where people once toughed it out in the elements, we have a lovely climate-controlled home. Where once, knowledge was hard-fought for, I have libraries, the breadth of human knowledge quite literally at my fingertips. Not even fingertips. Like something out of a sci-fi twenty years ago I can look at my phone, say "ok Google," and it will answer virtually my every query.

Material things don't really matter that much. I realize how much wealth we have, and yet people don't seem happier. I'll acknowledge that. It's tragic really. I haven't worried about having enough to eat in years, even though throughout most of human history, starvation was only one bad season away. We have shelter, friends half a world and yet only a few seconds away. It's so easy for most people to overlook that. But we really are living in the greatest time ever to be alive. That might be temporary, but if not, I promise you, I could happily go on living so long as there was another perfect morning waking up to bright new things, a wonderful woman wrapped up in my arms, and some new scientific discovery on the horizon. I'll be okay with dying when there's no one new to interact with, nothing left to discover, and nothing left to understand about how and why the universe works.

Until then, it's pretty much that whole "Do Not Go Gently" thing.

#12 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-05-06 01:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

#5 | Posted by danni

.... Please tell me you don't actually believe that

#13 | Posted by mariosanchez at 2014-05-06 03:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

Keith Richards has known about this years.

#14 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2014-05-06 01:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

This explains a lot about Dick Cheney's continued survival. There are, likely, a bunch of compatible "missing" children being harvested regularly in his basement.

#15 | Posted by morris at 2014-05-06 06:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

My aunt is still his personal secretary after 20 years. I'll have to check with her on that. LOL

#16 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-06 06:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

Unemployed youth: hope for an income!

#17 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-05-06 09:49 PM | Reply | Flag: