Sunday, May 04, 2014

Jonathan Merritt, The Atlantic: Would Jesus Christ oppose the death penalty if he were present today? According to a recent Barna poll, most Americans think so. Only five percent of Americans believe Jesus would support the government's ability to execute the worst criminals. This includes 2 percent of Catholics, 8 percent of Protestants, and 10 percent of all practicing Christians. Christian leaders, including the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, have also been some of the most outspoken opponents of executions. But overall, a majority of Americans back the death penalty.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Corky

MORE STORIES

Comments

Jesus supported it in His own case. Just read his Last Supper discourse in John.

#1 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-05-04 12:26 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"Christians who support the death penalty often cite passages from the Old Testament that allowed for capital punishment. But Jesus told his followers not to observe the Jewish law that allowed for retributive justice:

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

As theologian Benjamin Corey says, "It is not possible to argue a Christian case in support of the death penalty while citing passages from the Hebrew scriptures, because this will put one at odds with Jesus himself."

I have a feeling that the executed first-century teacher would not support the death penalty or want his followers to.

Many forget that Jesus once served as a one-man jury on a death-penalty case.

In a famous New Testament story, an adulterous woman was dragged to Jesus' feet. The woman was guilty of a capital offense and had been caught in the act by at least one witness. The law mandated her death but Jesus prescribed a different response:

"Let whoever is without sin cast the first stone." He was teaching that only a perfect being -- only God -- should have power over death and life.

With Jesus's stark words and example, no wonder early Christians opposed military service and the government-sanctioned killing of anyone for at least 300 years. "Our warfare is to make the dead to live, not to make the living dead," St. John Chrysostom said."

much more at the article.

WWJD? questions are not my favorites because, according to Christian belief, we ain't Jesus; not much perfect about us.

I've opposed the death penalty except for what I think of as heinous crimes such as those against children, but were I perfect spiritually, which I will never be on this earth, I would not make such allowances.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-04 12:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

His own case was fulfilling his prophesied role.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-04 12:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

Jesus would support the death penalty but he would require that someone without sin would be needed to carry it out. Good luck finding this person and then convincing that person to murder someone else.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-04 08:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

Personally, I can't say the penalties meted out under Roman law -- and mark me, they were whoppers -- deterred me in any way.
~ Yeshua bar Yosef

#5 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-05-04 09:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

It cracks me up that this is even a question. If you think Jesus would be pro-capital punishment, how far does your hardcore, non-hippie Jesus go? Does he support enhanced interrogation and drone strikes?

#6 | Posted by rcade at 2014-05-04 09:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Does he support enhanced interrogation..."

I don't know and I don't care, but it works for me.
~ Pontius "Clean Hands Johnny On The Spot" Pilate
Province of Judea

#7 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-05-04 09:59 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

"Jesus would support the death penalty but he would require that someone without sin would be needed to carry it out."

I suggest Obama since George McGovern has passed.

#8 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-05-04 12:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

They keep saying this is a Christian nation, but I keep thinking there's no evidence of that.

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-05-04 08:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Just as a historical fact:
Since so many Jesusites
were put to death then yes, I would say Jesus supports the death penalty.

Lions need fed after all.

#10 | Posted by Huguenot at 2014-05-04 08:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why would the left care? Their all about the separation of church and state.

#11 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-05-04 09:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

4 no he would not support capital punishment....and see #11

#12 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-05-04 09:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Since so many Jesusites
were put to death then yes, I would say Jesus supports the death penalty. "

That makes exactly no sense.

"Why would the left care? Their all about the separation of church and state."

#14 | Posted by danni at 2014-05-04 09:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Would Jesus Support the Death Penalty?"

Doubtful.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2014-05-04 10:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Probably not, but who cares what Jesus supports?

#16 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-04 10:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by rcade

"Jesus Christ Is a Capitalist"
Exclusive to World Net Daily!
www.wnd.com

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-04 10:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

www.youtube.com

#18 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2014-05-04 10:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

"The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born." Mark 14:21

#19 | Posted by RandyRingen at 2014-05-04 11:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." (Luke 16:13)

Jesus was not a capitalist."

www.huffingtonpost.com

#20 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-04 11:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

"You cannot serve both God and money"

Not even when the money says "In G-d We Trust" on it?

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-04 11:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Civil War era Yankees put that there to claim God was on their side.

Lotta people like to think that.

#22 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-04 11:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Well duh.

"He is trampling out the vineyards where the grapes of wrath are stored."

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-05-05 12:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

i agree: don't know why this is a question. Capital punishment is torture; torture will not be eliminated until this ultimate penalty is prohibited first. The economic benefit of life without parole over the execution process should be the conversation; even if we could know with 100% certainty the guilt (or non-guilt) of 100% of accused murderers, which we can not.

Whether Jesus is an archetype of the collective unconscious or a literal, historical personage whose legacy has almost certainly been embellished, he is supposed to be a mirror by which we can realize our imperfections of character and thereby attempt self-betterment; and finally by whose grace we are benefitted & comforted when perfection cannot be achieved.

#24 | Posted by kenx at 2014-05-05 05:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

Jesus has a real harsh-on for people who harm children, with millstones and such.

#25 | Posted by john47 at 2014-05-05 09:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

I don't know if he would support it, let me ask Santa and the easter bunny.

#26 | Posted by patron at 2014-05-05 10:21 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

~ Yeshua bar Yosef

#5 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis

Seems to work quite well in Saudia Arabia.

#27 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-05-05 10:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

Yep he sure would. He would be required to by GOD.

Because the OLD TESTAMENT requires it by GODS WORD.

Jesus never taught to go against the Old Testament or GODS word! Not once!

Jesus is not GOD!
Jesus is not GOD!
Jesus is not GOD!

He is the son of GOD and can not override nor did he override GOD's rules.

#28 | Posted by tmaster at 2014-05-05 12:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

#29 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-05 12:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

obviously jesus would support the government even if they were executing god himself...

#32 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-05-05 02:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Let whoever is without sin cast the first stone."
A stone came from the back of the crowd and Jesus said, "knock it off Mom, I'm trying to make a point here.

#33 | Posted by maxis_mydog at 2014-05-05 03:01 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Jesus may have been crazy (after all he had the most severe case of the Grandiose Delusions I have ever seen) but he was not retarded.

Murdering people to convince other people not to murder is retarded.

#34 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-05 03:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

- may have been crazy

www.atissue.tv

#35 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-05 04:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Murdering people to convince other people not to murder is retarded.

So is not knowing the definition of murder.

#36 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-05 04:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

Rhode Island last execution was in 1846. 168 years ago they hung an innocent man. Who's only crime was that he was Irish

#37 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-05-05 05:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

So is not knowing the definition of murder.

#36 | Posted by goatman

[...] While I don't believe in the Death Penalty for many reason I don't think every execution is actually a murder. Possibly manslaughter but not murder.

However, every time a state does kill an innocent man it has committed a crime tantamount to state sponsored-murder.

I guess in Texas killing an innocent man is not murder.

It's just another "oops"!

#38 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-05 08:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

Thou shalt not kill... Except those heathens over there.

#40 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-05-05 08:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

Thou shalt not kill... Except those heathens over there.

They needed killin'

#41 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-05 08:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

-Thou shalt not kill

Everyone is a bible expert, eh?

You shall not murder sometimes translated as You shall not kill, KJV Thou shalt not kill (LXX οὐ φονεύσεις, translating Hebrew לֹא תִּרְצָח lo tirṣaḥ), is a moral imperative included as one of the Ten Commandments in the Torah,[1] specifically Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy 5:17.

The imperative is against unlawful killing resulting in bloodguilt. The Hebrew Bible contains numerous prohibitions against unlawful killing, but also allows for justified killing in the context of warfare, capital punishment, and self-defense.

en.wikipedia.org

But then, anyone who read the article would know the OT law doesn't apply anyway.

#42 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-05 08:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

I stopped reading there, btw. When you decide to grow up, I'll be glad to debate you.

Let me know.

#39 | Posted by goatman

Oh noes! Goatman stopped reading there! My heart is broken and I am so filled with sadness knowing that goatman won't "debate" me anymore.

Is that like half a plonk?

Anyway, I do agree I should have controlled myself better and not stoop your level. It is so hard to fight that basic human instinct of hitting back harder (in revenge) when one takes a swing at you.

Turning the the other cheek is hard werk!

You should know that well being a Texan and all.

#43 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-05 08:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Everyone is a bible expert, eh?"

No Corky...just you...apparently.

#44 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-05 09:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

It helps to have studied the original languages.

Correct me if I was wrong.

#45 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-05 09:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

That was me turning the other cheek...

#46 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-05 09:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Jesus is not GOD!

He is my gardener. and he does a good job.

LEAVE JESUS ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!

#47 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2014-05-05 09:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

#43 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

Still nothing donnerboy?

Hmm. Why would one think today would be different with you than any other day?

#48 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-05 09:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

Still nothing donnerboy?

Hmm. Why would one think today would be different with you than any other day?

#48 | Posted by goatman

hmmm You are not "debating" me are you?

Just checking.

#49 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-05 09:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

It helps to have studied the original languages.

Correct me if I was wrong.

#45 | Posted by Corky

You know Hebrew, Aramaic, AND Greek?

I am hereby duly impressed!

#50 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-05 09:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

That was me turning the other cheek...

#46 | Posted by Corky

I noticed...and I bow to your grace.

#51 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-05 09:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

hmmm You are not "debating" me are you?

No. Just pointing out that you are again engaging in your daily routine of ad hominems and pointless posts.

You couldn't figure this out? Really?

Oh well. Bye. I grow weary of explaining the obvious. The childish name calling doesn't do much for me either. Neither to the false dichotomies. Other than these things, I'd love to stay around and try to eke meaningful dialogue from you, donnerboy.

GL with fixing that, btw.

#52 | Posted by goatman at 2014-05-05 09:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

That was me turning the other cheek...

#46 | Posted by Corky

btw...before I go...(assuming my bestest Columbo impersonation...which is, of course, not very good).

Do you think it is possible that any of us mere mortals could understand the true meaning of the Bible without learning to read Hebrew, Aramaic, AND Greek fluently.

#53 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-05 09:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Oh well. Bye."

Ummm well ok bye bye...and don't let the blog hit you on the butt on the way out.

so we are officially broken up now?

Oh dear...I will miss you! You were such an honorable opponent, too!(The closest to "turning the other cheek" a Marine can sometimes manage usually ends up as sarcasm as he watches his opponent walk away from the fight that he started.)

oh and btw...you did start it.

now bye bye...

LOL

#54 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-05-05 09:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Fluency isn't needed, but research is.

Otherwise one can end up like a rwing fundie dependent on their traditions and a 500 year old translation.

#55 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-05 11:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I went to the shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help and I knelt and prayed, and the strongest truth came through me. Didn't matter if God in His heaven was a Catholic or a Protestant God, or the God of the Hindus. What mattered was something deeper and older and more powerful than any such image. It was a concept of goodness based on the affirmation of life, the turning away from destruction, from the perverse, from man using and abusing man. It was the affirmation of the human and the natural. I said, "God, stand by me. Holy Mother, stand by me. Let me use my power to fight them, to beat them, to win against them." " ~ Carlotta Mayfair ~ 'The Witching Hour' by Anne Rice (pg 648)

#56 | Posted by kenx at 2014-05-06 03:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

Probably not, but who cares what Jesus supports?

#16 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-05-04 10:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

Christians?

We have many in this country who love Jesus while despising everything he stood for but that's not really how Christianity is supposed to work.

#58 | Posted by Sully at 2014-05-06 09:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"

#59 | Posted by MURPHY at 2014-05-06 09:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

Which was an extremely radical statement at a time when everything and everyone under Roman rule belonged to Caesar; to say that there were some things that did not belong to Caesar.

Hi, Murph!

#60 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-06 10:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

#60 ~ HI GOOD CHRISTIAN CORKY! SIGNED, YOUR FRIEND, KENX ~ LiH

really, shunning is recognized as the most beneficial Xian technique.

#61 | Posted by kenx at 2014-05-06 01:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

Would Jesus support the death penalty, that's kind of a stupid question.

He supported it for us all according to the good book.

#63 | Posted by moneywar at 2014-05-06 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

He died to prevent it, according to the good book.

#64 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-06 03:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Would Yoda support the death penalty?

#65 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-06 04:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

I know Kermit the Frog wouldn't.

#66 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-06 04:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

en.wikipedia.org

Some clowns need to get out of the shack more often.

#67 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-06 04:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

He purposely put himself on the death penalty, so duh, he supported it.

#68 | Posted by moneywar at 2014-05-06 04:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Stoning someone to death isn't in any way supporting the death penalty.

#69 | Posted by moneywar at 2014-05-06 04:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

Would Yoda support the death penalty?

#65 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

Support the death penalty, I do not. - Yoda

#70 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-05-06 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

was that an answer to anything?

You need a wiki link to answer whether Yoda or Kermit the Frog would support the Death penalty?

Quick!! Hide behind a link!!

You would make KBM proud.

#71 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-06 04:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

He purposely put himself on the death penalty, so duh, he supported it.
#68 | POSTED BY MONEYWAR AT 2014-05-06 04:09 PM |

Didn't you read the story? It was the Jews fault.

The bible, making Hitler proud, one passage at a time.

#72 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-06 04:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

was that an answer to anything?

An answer it was. - Yoda

#73 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-05-06 04:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Stoning someone to death isn't in any way supporting the death penalty.

#69 | POSTED BY MONEYWAR

I be stoning every day! - Nulli

#74 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-05-06 04:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

was that an answer to anything?

An answer it was. - Yoda
#73 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2014-05-06 04:20 PM | REPLY

I was responding to Corky.

I gave your response a funny flag.

#75 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-06 04:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Thinks" Yoda and Kermit have historicity; were real people.

#76 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-06 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

-so duh, he supported it.

You got one word right.

#77 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-06 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Thinks" Jesus has historicity; was a real person.

#78 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-05-06 04:46 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#77 ~ what a hippopotamus ! LiH

#79 | Posted by kenx at 2014-05-06 07:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

I know... we could get young children to be the executioners!

#80 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-05-06 07:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Jesus would have given the ol' Avada Kedavra killing curse, for the Bible tells me so.

#81 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-05-06 07:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

#78 |

As do the vast majority of scholars, including agnostics, atheists, theists, and non-clowns.

#82 | Posted by Corky at 2014-05-06 09:10 PM | Reply | Flag: