Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Katy Perry has been accused by some Muslims of "portraying blasphemy" in the video for her single "Dark Horse." The video features the pop star as an Egyptian queen who transforms suitors into sand by disintegrating them. Shazad Iqbal, from Bradford, England, has started an online petition for it to be removed from YouTube after he spotted one of the suitors wearing a pendant with the Arabic word for God on it. More than 60,000 people have signed.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

J_Tremain

MORE STORIES

Iqbal wrote: "At 01:15 into the video Dark Horse a man is shown being burned, whilst wearing a pendant (also burned) forming the word Allah.

"Blasphemy is clearly conveyed in the video, since Katy Perry (who appears to be representing an opposition of God) engulfs the believer and the word God in flames."

Comments

I don't trust any article on Katy that doesn't include a picture of her cleavage.

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-26 02:08 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

Yet they didn't complain about her singing?

#2 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-02-26 02:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

She sings?

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-26 02:55 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

www.youtube.com

Ah, she was singing. I didn't think to turn the sound on.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-26 02:57 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"Damn videos"-Susan Rice

#5 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-02-26 02:59 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

I am just waiting for the Taliban to riot because they saw this while watching Katy Perry videos.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-26 03:01 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

The sense of entitlement that comes from Muslims from certain parts of the world is still surprising to me.

IMO we should be alot more aggressive in communicating that we don't care about their beliefs and that their expectation that we will audit our behavior to comply with their religion is crazy.

The logical solution to alot of the insults they perceive is for them to start minding their own damn business.

#7 | Posted by Sully at 2014-02-26 03:22 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

I'm with Sully. At this point we should almost view it as trolling and eventually the crazies will kill each other off.

#8 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-02-26 03:30 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

If there's one that ting that can unite both sides of the aisle it's the fact that Katy Perry is smoking hot and the fact that a lot of mainstream Muslims might be better served minding their own business and keeping their mouths shut.

If I were a Muslim, I'd be embarrassed right now. Hell, I'd probably have been embarrassed a long time ago. Probably enough to resign my membership altogether.

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-02-26 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by Sully at 2014-02-26 03:22 PM

It is the House of Saud. 18 of the 9-11 highjackers were Saudis. Poor Muslims become Taliban, and the rich ones are oil royalty of the House of Saud.

#11 | Posted by john47 at 2014-02-26 05:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ah Islamists.

Unlike what I hope are the majority of Muslims Islamists are clowns that claim to reject everything the west has, is, and does yet can't get enough of our pop culture.

#12 | Posted by Tor at 2014-02-26 05:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

The correct way to deal with the overly sensitive is to desensitize them.

#13 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-02-26 05:29 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#10 | Posted by madbomber

I don't want to be a member of any club that will accept people like me as a member. (Groucho Marx)

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-02-26 06:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2014-02-26 06:09 PM | FLAG:

I'm reminded of that quote every time I log in here with you people ;-). Lol

#15 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-02-26 06:42 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Their reaction is 1000x more blaspheming than she was. The constitution was inspired every bit as much as the koran so those blaspheming accusers can just fall to dust like she suggested.

#16 | Posted by reitze at 2014-02-26 08:12 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

The first time I saw her act I said "blasphemy!", just because she made such a crude imitation of the goddess Betty Page.

#17 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-27 02:17 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Katy, just call Steve Hirsch and get it over with already...

#18 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2014-02-27 10:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

GREAT !!!

I'm going to go out and purchase a couple of her songs just to celebrate.
then I"m going to look for pictures... WINK WINK...

#19 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-27 11:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

I just read where she caved and had the pendant photoshopped out of the video. Wanna bet if a Christian group had been offended by the guy wearing a cross she would have claimed artist freedom?

#20 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-02-27 03:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Greetings Infidels!

The guy is smoking crack to see some symbol when it's a cabochon stone necklace.

His head must explode when Cleopatra is shown on TCM.

#22 | Posted by MURPHY at 2014-02-27 08:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

#22 | POSTED BY MURPHY AT 2014-02-27 08:12 PM

Holy Cleopatra's dirty undies!

Murphy is back.

how your been s'Murphy?

#23 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-02-27 08:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

All images of the Allah necklace have been removed.

www.mtv.com

#24 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2014-02-28 12:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

I might accuse Kate Perry of philately or thespianism soon, just to get some ink.

#25 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-28 04:40 AM | Reply | Flag: