Thursday, February 27, 2014

Rancho Feeding Corp., the Petaluma, Calif., slaughterhouse that not long ago recalled 9 million pounds of beef, is under criminal investigation for slaughtering and selling meat from dairy cows suffering from cancer, the San Francisco Chronicle was told by anonymous sources. Rancho was allegedly buying up cows with eye cancer, chopping off their heads so inspectors couldn't detect the disease and illegally selling the meat, the sources said.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

censored

MORE STORIES

James Cullor, professor of population health and reproduction at the School of Veterinary Medicine at UC Davis, said cows suffering from eye cancer aren't necessarily dangerous to eat, but he doesn't recommend it. It would be possible that the cancer had spread to other parts of the animal's body, Cullor said.

"If I'm out on top of Mount Everest and have a cow (with eye cancer) and I'm hungry, I'm going to cook her well and deal with getting down the mountain," he said. "But if I'm here in this country, I will choose to not consume the animal. I wouldn't feed the animal to my grandchildren."

Comments

Pictures of the alleged type of cancer are linked here.

I think I might just go vegetarian ...

#1 | Posted by censored at 2014-02-25 11:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Another "self regulation" miracle.

#2 | Posted by 726 at 2014-02-26 07:12 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 4 | Newsworthy 2

Rancho Feeding Corp. has been sold.

www.sfgate.com

#3 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-26 12:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

@ #3

[The new owner's chief executive] said he intends to rehire many of the 15 to 20 employees at the Rancho Feeding facility

I dunno how loudly he wants to shout that particular fact to the heavens.

#4 | Posted by censored at 2014-02-26 12:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

I would assume the management, not the workers, were responsible for the problem.

#5 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-26 02:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Wendy's new (old) slogan:

Where's the Cancer Beef?

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-02-26 06:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

New slogan: Cancer! It's just faster growing beef!

#7 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-02-26 06:55 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

Waiter, I'll have the Lump of Brisket and the Tumor Tartare.

#8 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-26 07:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

This is the kind of stuff that is what is wrong with the food industry and not limited to this incident. Mass produced processed food scares the heck out of me - in particular meats. And the laws some states have put in place to protect facilities like this from exposure are also mind numbingly stupid.

I have been thinking about going vegetarian for a while due to the way we grow and handle animals for food today. But then again with all the messed up stuff going on in that area of agriculture as well, what can you trust from the supermarket?

Honestly I started growing my own garden in the summer and am buying free range grass fed beef. I like the gardening just not a fan of the processing everything. I think I may even expand the garden this spring. You get 3-4 months of fresh vegetables with flavor and a winter full of canned/frozen stuff.

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-02-27 09:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

I thought about going veggie too, problem is there's not enough veggies I like to just go the veggie route. I'm OK with sides, but not as the whole meal.

Learned that it's best to buy from the butcher (one that does their own slaughtering is best) and farmers market instead of the supermarket.

Started doing that years ago, not so much because of possibly tainted meat/produce, but because of crappy cuts of meat injected with water and inconsistent tasting produce. Apples shouldn't be mealy, oranges should be juicy, and onions shouldn't make your house smell like a sulfur fart when you make fresh onion soup. That's supposed to come later. :)

Luckily where I live there's a really good Dutch butcher/bakery set up in the indoor farmers market that I go so I don't have to make two stops.

About the only thing I go to the supermarket for is the staples (coffee, sugar, flour, dried spices etc).

#10 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-27 10:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

That sounds like a good plan lohocla.

#11 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-27 11:49 AM | Reply | Flag:

This is the thread where the "Choice" champions and opponents of regulations will argue that it's unnecessary to provide the consumer with information needed to make an informed choice (aka informative labeling).

#12 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2014-02-27 01:46 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Everybody acting selfishly never produces the best outcome for society.

#13 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-02-27 03:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

But.. but.. business will self regulate. We don't need all those Federal inspectors running around messing with profits. That's why CONgress keeps cutting the budget of inspectors and regulators.

#14 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2014-02-27 03:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

This had nothing to do with self regulation. Didn't you read the article they outsmarted the inspectors by cutting off the heads.

#15 | Posted by mcmlcxx at 2014-02-28 03:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe the this job creator can just move his operation to Galt's Gulch.

#16 | Posted by Sully at 2014-02-28 09:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe the this job creator can just move his operation to Galt's Gulch.

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2014-02-28 09:23 AM | Reply | Flag: