Monday, February 24, 2014

A 36-year-old man from Independence Township, Mich., apparently shot and killed himself by accident Sunday while trying to demonstrate gun safety to his girlfriend. The girlfriend told police that the man, in the course of explaining his three handguns are safe when they aren't loaded, demonstrated by placing them against his head and pulling the trigger. The third gun was loaded. Alcohol appears to have been a factor in the shooting, according to the Oakland County sheriff's office.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

"...explaining his three handguns are safe when they aren't loaded..."

Handguns are reasonably safe when they are loaded if you avoid doing stupid things with them.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-02-24 09:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

POSTED BY RCADE

Figures.

Move to Juarez.
I'll help you pack.

#2 | Posted by Zatoichi at 2014-02-24 09:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by Zatoichi

Lighten up, Francis.

#3 | Posted by Dave at 2014-02-24 09:29 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

At first I thought this was an old story but then I checked the date and saw it was recent.

Why did the story seem so familiar? Because it's pretty much an identical story to that of a man who killed himself near St. Louis in 2009.
archive.ksdk.com

Teaching girlfriend gun safety? Check!
3 handguns pointed at his head? Check!
Put guns to head to demonstrate safety was on? Check!
Alcohol may have been involved? Check!

#4 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2014-02-24 09:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Lighten up, Francis.

#3 | POSTED BY DAVE

Everyone calls me 'Psycho'.

Call me 'Francis' and I'll kill ya.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-02-24 09:45 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

while trying to demonstrate gun safety to his girlfriend.

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel safer already now that this armed fool has self-selected himself out of existence.

#6 | Posted by censored at 2014-02-24 09:46 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Two out of three ain't bad.

#7 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-02-24 09:48 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

Call me 'Francis' and I'll kill ya.

Blown up, SIRRRR!

#8 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-02-24 09:50 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

I've related my father's lesson to me about gun safety before in this forum, and this story proves it's true. He taught me at a very young age that there is no such thing as an unloaded gun.

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2014-02-24 09:50 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 4

He clearly did not know gun safety or know anything about guns.

Removing a clip from a gun does not unload it.
You must cycle the gun and inspect it to make sure its unloaded.

This is a perfect example of how gun control is killing people.
By not teaching gun safety in the schools we are creating accidents like this because people dont know gun safety and dont understand how guns work.

#10 | Posted by tmaster at 2014-02-24 09:54 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

This is a perfect example of how gun control is killing people.

LOL.

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-02-24 09:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

But you can't require 'responsible' gun owners to take a class in gun safety because 2nd amendment 'rights shall not be infringed'.

Just ask that guy that used to work at "Guns and Ammo".

#12 | Posted by 88120rob at 2014-02-24 10:04 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

A good example of chlorine in the gene pool.

#13 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2014-02-24 10:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by tmaster

Don't they teach gun safety in sunday school?

#14 | Posted by Dave at 2014-02-24 10:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Alcohol appears to have been a factor"

..........derp..............

#15 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2014-02-24 10:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Personally, I don't trust the Communistic public schools to teach gun safety. Children of five years old or younger should have their parents hold a gun to their heads and pull the trigger, so they develop a healthy respect. If you make guns idiot-proof only idiots will have guns.

www.divshare.com

#16 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-24 10:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's safer when the guns aren't loaded and the users aren't loaded either

#17 | Posted by jcougowl at 2014-02-24 10:37 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

His problem was only having one loaded gun. If he had two, he could have defended himself.

#18 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-02-24 10:42 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

If only his girlfriend had had a gun. She could have shot his attacker.

#19 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-02-24 11:04 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Guns don't kill people. Bullets kill people.

#20 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-24 11:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

In GA, soon you ll be able to take a gun into a bar. Good luck with safety classes there.

#21 | Posted by bigblackie at 2014-02-25 02:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

Wow and just days after dick cheney hunting day.

www.washingtonpost.com

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2014-02-25 02:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

Personally, I don't trust the Communistic public schools to teach gun safety.
#16 | POSTED BY HARRY_POWELL

Me either, it might cut into the teaching time of the safe sex class.

#23 | Posted by Daniel at 2014-02-25 07:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-02-24 10:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

True. If you read the story its the third gun that did it. If either of the other two guns had been loaded, he would have shot himself in the head before he shot himself in the head. Guns need to be loaded and close at hand at all times. Pretty much every surface of my home has a loaded gun resting on it. Its the only way I feel safe.

#24 | Posted by Sully at 2014-02-25 09:59 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

If gun nuts want less gun control, shouldn't they stop shooting themselves in the head?

#25 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2014-02-25 02:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Leave it to the anti-gun dopes to use this as a forum to do away with guns when it is simply an example of a ------- drunk being a ------- drunk.

#26 | Posted by fishpaw at 2014-02-25 03:54 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Leave it to the pro-gun dopes to be...well....dopes.

#27 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-25 05:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Well when you ignore safety ruleS, and act stupid. Stupid things happen. TREAT ALL GUNS AS THEY ARE LOADED AND NEVER POINT AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY. Just glad he only killed himself and hurt no one else.

#28 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-02-25 05:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 | POSTED BY FISHPAW

There are over 600 accidental gun deaths in the US every year. Dozens of them children.

I guess the US just needs more ------- drunk control.

#29 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2014-02-25 05:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

Leave it to the pro-gun dopes to be...well....dopes.

Leave it to any dope to be...well....dopes, not just pro-gun dopes

#30 | Posted by goatman at 2014-02-25 05:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | Posted by goatman

That's what I was told as well.

I was also told to never point a gun at something I didn't intend to shoot.

#31 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-02-25 05:36 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I was also told to never point a gun at something I didn't intend to shoot.

#31 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT

We both had wise gun safety instructors. If this guy had been as lucky as us . . .

#32 | Posted by goatman at 2014-02-25 05:39 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"I was also told to never point a gun at something I didn't intend to shoot."

I was told that a gun is always pointed at something, so point it at something that isn't important in case it gets shot.

#33 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-02-25 07:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

there is no such thing as an unloaded gun.

#9 | Posted by goatman

But, there does seem to be a rash of loaded gun owners.

#34 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-02-25 08:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

But, there does seem to be a rash of loaded gun owners.

Since gun crime is at a decades low, there seem to be a lot of liars.

#35 | Posted by Zatoichi at 2014-02-25 09:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

But, there does seem to be a rash of loaded gun owners.

#34 | Posted by donnerboy
more like a rash of stupid people who should have be swallowed or been a stain on the mattress. You can't fix stupid.

#36 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-02-25 11:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't own any guns or rifles, but I took the NRA-sponsored shooting/safety class back in the early 1960's, before the psychotics took over the NRA.

I know how to shoot, and I was pretty good at target shooting. In the later 1960's I qualified with both the M-16A and .38 revolver. After I got home from the war, I fired a handgun once more, at a local shooting club. That was over thirty years ago.

Of the things I was taught, some stand out.

Treat every firearm as though it was loaded.

Always ask a person handing you a firearm to clear it first.

Never point a firearm at anything you don't intend to shoot.

Check out the Darwin Awards regularly. www.darwinawards.com There is almost guaranteed to be idiocy involving a firearm with every installment.

#37 | Posted by john47 at 2014-02-26 02:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

Don't they teach gun safety in sunday school?

#14 | POSTED BY DAVE AT 2014-02-24 10:16 PM | FLAG:

Yes, but they call it abstinence.

#38 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-26 02:25 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Bogus headline. A gun safety lesson does not involve putting the gun to your head and pulling the trigger. Nice try.

#39 | Posted by sames1 at 2014-02-26 08:53 PM | Reply | Flag: