Sunday, February 23, 2014

A New York City special education teacher has avoided jail time after admitting she had sex with a 15-year-old boy at least four times in her car outside school. A Brooklyn Supreme Court judge gave Evelyn Rogers, 34, ten years of probation after she pleaded guilty to statutory rape -- despite the protests of prosecutors who argued that she deserved jail time. Rogers taught special education at High School for Innovation in Advertising and Media in the Canarsie neighborhood of Brooklyn.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

boaz

MORE STORIES

Can you imagine the sentence if this was a grown man on a 15 year old girl?

Comments

I know the punishments should be equal. But also have to admit, when I was 15 I lusted after older women a lot.

#1 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-02-22 08:40 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

What kind of sicko molests retarded kids?

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2014-02-22 08:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's true. The disparity is ridiculous. However, I just don't know the damage is the same. I am far from an authority on whether the reason is cultural perception, preparedness, or biological, but I feel like a teenage girl is much more likely to be emotionally victimized and damaged by a predatory older male, whereas a younger male is more likely to turn it into something they're getting hi fives from friends about. Provided the older female doesn't get pregnant. Whole other issue there, but obviously, one that could follow the teen throughout their life.

#3 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-02-22 08:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Females are just delicate little flowers that need to be protected.

#4 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-02-22 08:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

"special education teacher has avoided jail time after admitting she had sex with a 15-year-old boy"

dharmacowgirl.files.wordpress.
com

#5 | Posted by Tor at 2014-02-22 08:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

Who cares as long as they wear condoms? I don't like my taxes being used to jail people who had sex. And BS the 'kids' past puberty were victims. They knew what they were doing.

#6 | Posted by reitze at 2014-02-23 01:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

REITZE she made have had sex with a student in special ed.

And no it is not ok to boink those with mental retardation.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2014-02-23 01:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | POSTED BY TOR

Just an FYI, the article says that authorities wouldn't say whether he was a special ed student or just "a" student. I will say tho, if it was special ed, that the kid was blind cos that woman is -----.

Something along the lines of if you get a stiffy, you must have enjoyed it, which then makes it statutory (you know, not a legitimate) rape.

That being said, it's about as outrageous as the Montana teacher who got 31 days in jail with 14 years probation.

Getting to be an ugly state of affairs.

#8 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-23 01:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

This is starting to change, however. There have been some hefty sentences handed out to women who do these things.

#9 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-23 02:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

"In other cases it may have something to do with the idea that many have which makes it hard to believe a man can even be raped by a woman."

I saw Christie Brinkley do it to Billy Joel, all while giving little bo peep press conferences after each court session.
The lady was a grandmaster of the art.

#10 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-23 04:49 AM | Reply | Flag:

In our society kids are exposed to so much sexualization that it is hard to accept a 15 year old boy or girl would be ignorant. (assuming it was a regular student)

There was a group of girls around here 15-17 that would troll craigslist and have meetings with older guys then threaten them with statutory rape charges if they didn't buy them things. It was pretty messed up and a real headache for the cops.

#11 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-23 08:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

Yeah, I've heard about that happening too.

Shame too cos an old family friend got caught up in something similar with someone he met at a club. She fake ID'd her way in, hooked up with him later & the BF found out, fight happened, parents got involved, turns out she was 15. Spent 2 years in jail, and is still on the list after 20 some odd years. Tho, last time I talked with him (few years ago) he was talking about being able finally get off the list and get a 'real' job.

#12 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-23 08:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

Loh,

I found out about it when a 30 something guy started texting my 14 year old daughter. I have a couple friends who are cops and I asked them what to do since at that point he hadn't done anything. They asked me about it and I was like what hell no. Blew my mind but they said it has been going on a long time internet just made it easier.

Anyway I took my daughters phone and the next time he texted I sent back a text that he was texting a 14 year old and if he continued I would call the cops. A few days later he did again. I told my friends and they got a guy from that department to go knock on the guys door. Texts stopped coming. When he called me to give me his number I asked him about it and he said yeah there was at least one ring of girls doing it.

Oh and because even though I was a pissed off dad by paying attention to what my kids are doing I was able to stop it before anything bad happened and the guy doing it didn't even get a record so if he can lay off little girls he has a chance.

#13 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-23 09:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

Sorry He being the cop who knocked on the door.

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-23 09:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

Yah, internet's made a whole lot of things easier.

Dunno what I would have done in that situation since I don't have kids.

Would like to think I would have handled it rationally like you and hopefully he learned a lesson. Then I get to thinking, someone looking at a 14 year old and miscalculating her age is one thing, being told she's 14 and continuing likely makes them a predator who will just move on to someone else.

---- situation really not much else anyone can do but hope for the best.

#15 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-23 10:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

Yep granted my daughter is tall and very intelligent so thinking 18 when she was 14 was not messed up, heck about a year later we were in the store with my younger daughter and my younger one was pushing the cart and hit the older daughter. A woman turns to her and says be careful you don't hurt your mom. So at 15 a 60 year old woman thought she looked old enough to have a 9 year old daughter. After I told him though, yeah problem.

That is why I went ahead with the cops his name is in the system now even with no record if he every does something they can show a pattern of behavior. Also when a cop knocks on your door it might make him think twice about trying it again. Other than letting it get to a point where he did break the law not sure what else I could have done. I mean I don't want his life ruined if he was just being dumb but my kid oh heck no!

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-23 11:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

#16 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

Yah, I get ya on that. Hopefully the dude gets the message. :)

#17 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-23 01:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Two different punishments between a female pedo and a male"

Pedo? Sex with a post-pubescent is not pedophilia.
May not be legal, you may not like it, but it's not pedophilia.

#18 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-02-23 01:19 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

his name is in the system now even with no record

Do you think that's fair? isn't his name being in the "system" a record? Isnt this a violation of rights?

#19 | Posted by boaz at 2014-02-23 01:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Abhorrence of sexual relations between young persons past puberty and statutory adults is a cultural convention. The way bring the pendulum back to a a more rational level is to vigorously prosecute these crimes without regard to gender. We asked for a police state, it's time we got it good and hard.

#20 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-02-23 01:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

#19 | POSTED BY BOAZ

IMHO it's kind of a grey area. Had he stopped texting her when Toa asked, it wouldn't have come to it, so he pretty much brought it on himself.

Other than taking a ball peen hammer to his nuggets, getting the police involved is about all one can do. "Serve and Protect" and all that.

#21 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-23 03:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

... whereas a younger male is more likely to turn it into something they're getting hi fives from friends about.

This idea collapses when you become aware of the long-term psychological and emotional consequences in boys who were molested. It is a damaging experience for males. I know two people it happened to. One burned and buried his clothes after it happened and looks back on it in horror. The other has wrestled with enormous problems related to sex and I don't think they are unrelated.

I hate it that the courts treat female adults who commit statutory rape with more lenience than males. This woman should be seeing the inside of a cell for multiple years.

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2014-02-23 04:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

It is not a criminal record and it will only come up if he continues making passes at underage girls. As Loh said short of me assaulting him that was about the best I could do. I gave him a chance by telling him she was underage and to stop. He didn't. The only other two options would have been me taking matters into my own hands or waiting till he actually broke the law with my daughter.

RCade I agree that this lady should be serving time and she should go in the sex offender database just like a guy would have.

#23 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-23 06:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

It is not a criminal record and it will only come up

But isn't that what a criminal record is?

BTW, I'm not excusing what the guy did with your daughter. I guess it is a grey line. I'm just not a big fan of convictions without trials. The govt shouldn't be keeping "records" on citizens who haven't committed crimes..

#24 | Posted by boaz at 2014-02-23 07:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Another poor little white girl.

#25 | Posted by fresno500 at 2014-02-23 08:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

#24 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Not much of a fan either, then again, at the risk of being snarky, convictions w/out a trial I've seen only happen on the Nancy Grace show and politics.

I seriously doubt it's even documented anywhere since it doesn't sound like Tao filed an official complaint, just went the friend of a friend route and they put a scare into him. Which BTW I'm also not much of a fan of, but considering a kid is involved, I'm willing to overlook that to an extent.

Beats the alternative in the long run.

#26 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-23 08:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

The presumption that having sex is automatically abuse is more legal nonsense. But the ability to deal with nuance is not a feature of our legal system. I heard on NPR yesterday that only recently was the definition of rape expanded to include men.More men are raped in prison every year than women outside. Only 40% of rape cases are ever reported.

#27 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-02-23 08:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

But isn't that what a criminal record is?

No not quite because he won't show up on a sex offender registry and if he applies for a job it won't be anything that shows up. There is no public record of it. If he were to be arrested for anything it wouldn't even be a second offense it would still be a first but when going for a conviction it could be used to establish a pattern of behavior.

As a pretty liberal libertarian I did what I could to keep him out of the criminal justice system while still making him stop. If he had used even 2 brain cells after getting a response that "This is her father and she is only 14 please do not communicate with her again" nothing would have happened at all. Had it been another teen I would have given a second warning as well but he was a grown ass adult only a couple years younger than me.

The going and kicking teeth in idea appealed to me, but then I would have possibly been arrested for assault and he would have had one less barrier to access to my daughter. Also the fact that while not a wimp I am not exactly a MMA fighter either.

#28 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-23 09:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Agreed Tao...

#29 | Posted by boaz at 2014-02-23 09:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

if they parents killed this SOB, I would vote not guilty if I was on a Jury. As much as I would have love a pretty female teacher to have had her ways with me in HS, rape of a minor is still very wrong and disgusting.

#30 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-02-23 09:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

No jail for thousands of priests that abused boys, either. That's a bigger story, isn't it?

#32 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-23 11:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

That's a bigger story, isn't it?

#32 | Posted by Harry_Powell
I think any child rapist that gets away with light sentences is the real story that they commit so many horrible acts and yet get so little time in prison. Also put everyone in general pop, no more protecting them. If you don't want your back door punched in prison, then i suggest you don't rape a child outside of prison.

#33 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-02-23 11:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Boys have -------- cut off = circumcision.

Girls have similar procedure = mutilation.

SOP.

#34 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-02-24 07:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Boys have -------- cut off = circumcision.
Girls have similar procedure = mutilation.
SOP.

#34 | POSTED BY SHAWN

That's a retarded equivalence. Absurd, actually.

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-02-24 07:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

i.e. you have no argument.

#36 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-02-24 09:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

JeffJ is correct, Shawn. Female circumcision is the removal of the clitoris to destroy sexual pleasure. It's way different and a ghastly procedure.

#37 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-24 10:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

i.e. you have no argument.

#36 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-02-24 09:11 PM

Shawn, if they cut the head off the boys ----- in circumcision you might have a point. JeffJ and Diablo are correct. With so-called "female circumcision" it is much more that just removing a little skin. As was pointed out they remove the clitoris as well which is the equivalent of cutting the entire ----- off, or at best the head of the -----, not just the --------. To be equivalent female circumcision would have to be limited to only removing the -------- hood, or maybe just the inner -----.

#38 | Posted by moomanfl at 2014-02-24 10:29 PM | Reply | Flag: