Friday, February 21, 2014

Aside from selling long-time fan favorites such as Thin Mints and Samoas, the Girl Scouts' cookie program has another goal: To teach girls and young women to become savvy business thinkers. One 13-year-old Girl Scout is exemplifying that mission with her clever selling strategy: Pitching her cookie stand outside a medical marijuana dispensary. She sold about 117 boxes in two hours. The Girl Scouts of Northern California said, "The decision of the mom to allow her daughter to have a booth at this location is not intended to be an endorsement or statement of any kind."

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

pirate

MORE STORIES

Comments

Genius.

#1 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-21 05:01 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

There's Ha'vard Bidness School scholarship in store for that kid.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-21 05:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

Genius.

#1 | Posted by Harry_Powell

Sad.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-21 05:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

Your sadness is sad Zed. Have a sense of humor and a tad of progressiveness in your worldview. When I was 13, I knew Friar Tuck and my own Pastor were both drunks, but I knew that they made some good points too. I didn't turn out to be a drunk, so it worked out.

#4 | Posted by bocaink at 2014-02-21 05:29 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Damn, Zed, you don't like cookies either? What do you live off of, hay?

#5 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-21 05:30 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

You know, I shouldn't be telling you this, but they sell Girl Scout cookies in front of grocery stores, too.....where they sell.....alcohol! tobacco! and some even have....pharmacies!!

#6 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-21 05:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Actually, the headline is a bit misleading. She is outside a clinic, not a store... OK, I'll shut up now.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-21 05:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

Stage II: I wish I had a dispensary near me. I'd compete with overpriced Mt. Dew vending machines and ATM's right nearby if at all possible.

#8 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-02-21 06:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Is Zed Amish?

#9 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-02-21 06:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Is Zed Amish?

#9 | POSTED BY REARENDHAT

No, he's retarded.

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-02-21 06:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Have a sense of humor

#4 | Posted by bocaink at 2014-02

Little girls have enough understanding of a wholly accurate drug-user stereotype to take advantage of them financially?

Yes, that is funny, I have to admit.

#11 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-21 07:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Some people used to roll drunks. Now the dope fiends will get rolled. Perhaps the money the Girl Scouts rake in can be used in a good cause? Such as to teach them not to smoke dope?

#12 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-21 07:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

I can hear it all now: "If eating five mint cookies are good for you, then eating five hundred must be wondrous. Just take a moment, toke up, and you'll see that I'm right".

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-21 07:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by Corky at

Too late. Your remark hovered on a verge at a distance of sort-of insulting St. Dope.

The pot-heads will now sit under your window and howl....And order lots and lots of pizza.

#14 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-21 07:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Genius.
#1 | Posted by Harry_Powell
Sad."

What on Earth is sad about this. Girl Scout cookies don't harm anyone, people smoking pot like them. It's one hell of a lot better than giving away salted peanuts for free at a bar just so you'll be thirsty and order more drinks.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-21 07:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Don't knock until you've tried it, Zed. Girl Scout Cookies is a good strain.

91life.stickyguide.com

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-02-21 08:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'd like to point out the sugar and white flour in the girl scout cookies are more harmful than the pot. Who's the bad guy here?

#17 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-02-21 08:11 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-21 07:55 PM | Reply

You, truly, have no clue.

#18 | Posted by morris at 2014-02-21 10:06 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Interesting how medical marijuana is stimulating the local economy. The local Chamber of Commerce should be happy.

#19 | Posted by LampLighter at 2014-02-21 10:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

LOL an older lady at my Church told me about this last week.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2014-02-21 10:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

The first three rules of opening a business, location, location, location.

#21 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-02-22 05:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

I heard that the Brownies were the best sellers!!

#22 | Posted by shane at 2014-02-22 07:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

From Nulli's link: Girl Scout Cookies' signature flavor features strong notes of sweet pastries, wood varnish, diesel fuel, and lemon pinesol. It actually packs more of an 'authentic' OG flavor than many of the popular OG phenos currently circulating. The vapor is skunky and expansive on the inhale, lip-smacking varnish and pastries on the exhale.

Oh good, potheads have found a way to manifest as much pretentiousness regarding their pastime as wine snobs.

#23 | Posted by censored at 2014-02-22 08:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-21 07:55 PM | Reply

You, truly, have no clue.

#18 | Posted by morris at 2014-02-21 10

Well, I do understand that marijuana stimulates the hypothalamus, making you feel hungry, whether you should be hungry or not.

Are you reacting to the number "500"? How many Girl Scout cookies are in a box? Are you seriously telling me you've never heard about a stoned person wiping out an entire box of Girl Scout cookies at one go?

And then laughing about it? And, because they are in fact stoned, laughing, and laughing, and laughing?

CENSORED has it right. You guys have become pretentious. Don't want your dignity questioned foe engaging in a particular set of intoxicated behaviors you once enjoyed poking the adults in the eye with.

You're going to have to live with it. Drunks do what drunks do, and a lot of you sneer at that and imagine that their behavior is one more reason to light up, that you are superior to them because you do light up.

Guess what? Dopers do what dopers do. The legality of marijuana never had much to do with that. You've been laughed at all along. Now your only hope is to render such laughter non-PC.

#24 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-22 08:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

These Girl Scouts could roll cat sh-- in sugar, and a few stoned people would try it.

#25 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-22 08:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

Zed I have wiped out a box of girl scout cookies sober too. There are like 10 cookies in there these days.

#26 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-22 09:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

They would have to name it something cutsey first then everyone who likes girl scout cookies would try it, and then never buy girl scout cookies again.

#27 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-22 09:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

well, the headline is hilarious ~ zed went thru mood swings of being hostile to almost cool & then really gross ! LiH The Beatles were such absolute losers !

#28 | Posted by kenx at 2014-02-22 09:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

@ 26

Speaking of munchies, a long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away, I once ordered a medium pizza while stoned with a friend. We placed so many toppings on it that it ended up costing 30 bucks. I don't remember much about that night except that the pizza was very difficult to eat, and delicious.

#29 | Posted by censored at 2014-02-22 09:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014

I disagree. They could tell everyone up-front it is cat sh--. They'd just have to market it as an experience on the edge.

A number would keep on eating the cat sh-- because ZED thought that was bad.

#30 | Posted by Zed at 2014-02-22 10:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

I think Zed must have gotten thrown out of the Girl Scouts as a youth...

#31 | Posted by drsoul at 2014-02-22 10:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

Z, I just don't understand your zealousness. I don't drink and I think drunks are lame, but if there was a thread about beer or vodka, I wouldn't spend my whole day posting and insulting the folks who find it interesting.
Why can't you just accept the fact some folks like to smoke dope and you don't?

#32 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-02-22 10:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

Why can't you just accept the fact some folks like to smoke dope and you don't?#32 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-02-22 10:23 AM |

Well, in Zed's defense, I have much the same reaction when confronted with Harry Potter fans. I just want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them with all my might while shouting "LOTR or GTFO!!!"

#33 | Posted by censored at 2014-02-22 11:44 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#33 YEAH ~ and as i mentioned once before, on the subject of blind dates, in this cute gay movie some years ago the stated problem with such dates is you might meet a serial killer* or a BEANIE BABIES COLLECTOR! can you imagine the stigma i felt as a plush collector, being one step DOWN from a psycho murderer? (i would run into guys at the club i didn't remember who'd ask, "do you still have all those BBs?" oh, the shame!) At least i never ate a WHOLE BOX OF GIRL SCOUT COOKIES in one sitting, even stoned!

(*now CRAIG'S LIST is where you go to meet a serial killer or worse, a BBC)

#34 | Posted by kenx at 2014-02-22 02:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hey now Kenx an entire box of Samoas is only 980 calories and 35 grams of saturated fat. That is only about 1/4 of my daily intake. So still plenty of calories left for 3 squares. Now I will admit it hits the fat a bit hard but I can afford it once in a while.

#35 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-22 02:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

Oh and have to admit that is the first time I have ever heard a gay guy say BBC was bad. ;-)

#36 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-22 02:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

If only the Girl Scouts sold pizza!

#37 | Posted by larry609 at 2014-02-22 06:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Eating sugary, fattening cookies will do wonders for cancer patients.

#38 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-23 04:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

some reports on this panned it but I don't see what the problem is. the parents don't care if there's pot sold here because it passed the vote didn't it ?....and EVEN though in another SPECTACULAR hypocritical move from the crook holder and obama, it's against fed law to sell it but they would NEVER oppose it like voter ID and OTHER things voted in by the people...( wrong people )....

so if their kid gets exposed to pot smoking, too bad...serves them right.

on REDEYE nick dipolo complained because they could get the cookies right then instead of having to wait two weeks

either way...voters there voted for it, so whatever bad comes from it..well that's just tough and I dont' care !!! sell them where ever they want.

#39 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-23 06:26 PM | Reply | Flag: