Thursday, February 20, 2014

Facebook's purchase of fast-growing messaging startup WhatsApp for an eye-popping $19 billion largely won approval from analysts, who said the deal made strategic sense as it will solidify the social network's position as a leader in mobile. Facebook is paying more than double its annual revenue for a chat program that has little revenue. The purchase price is slightly more than the market value of Sony Corp. But analysts noted that WhatsApp has over 450 million users and boasts a higher level of engagement than Facebook.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Facebook + WhatsApp = FaceCrapp

#1 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-02-20 04:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm reminded of the Margaritaville episode of South Park.

#2 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-02-20 05:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

Just like the Comcast + TW. Such mergers usually equal consolidated spying, more market control, less privacy, more fascism and richer oligarchs.

When the concept of organized private sector labor and unions was turned into a dirty word by the racist crooked consolidated banker aligned media (and it was), this is the outcome.

Organization gives power. Organized labor kept the oligarchs out of power, and it balanced the tendency of immunity from corruption. Organization is how a minority can come to control the majority in the USA and elsewhere.

#3 | Posted by Robson at 2014-02-20 06:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

If I had Facebook stock I'd unload it immediately. This, IMHO, was dumber than Time/Warner buying AOL.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-20 08:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | POSTED BY DANNI

Why? The reasons for the purchase are not the same.

The only failure I see is that the market is so dynamic and fast paced, and fickle that Facebook will run out of money and stock before its ever "settled". In fact I don't think it will ever settle. The network effect will make it unlikely to ever settle down.

I don't see what is so wrong with facebook. I see many people here poo poo it, but it has its purpose for people. I personally wouldn't deal with someone that had no Internet presence, is a form of preselection and social proofing that can't be beat.

That being said, I wouldn't date/marry someone that took selfies.....

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-02-20 08:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

"The purpose of this purchase is not to make it profitable. The purchase is to own the SocialMedia marketplace."

Impossible. New ideas will happen. This was a stupid investment.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-20 09:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Only because Flappy Birds wasn't for sale.

#7 | Posted by SammyV at 2014-02-20 10:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't use Facebook but WhatsApp is quite useful to get a laugh from old friends overseas.

Still, I agree with Danni, stockholders will be questioning the economic sense of this move.

#8 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-02-21 08:31 AM | Reply | Flag: