Friday, February 21, 2014

The Republican-dominated Arizona state Senate passed a bill on Wednesday designed to provide legal cover for businesses that refuse to serve gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people. Bill sponsor Sen. Steve Yarbrough (R) claimed that the legislation protects the "religious freedom" of private business owners, but critics of the measure say that conservatives are attempting to codify bigotry into law. Yarbrough proposed an earlier draft of the bill in January that legal experts warned could potentially discriminate against single women and individuals who do not practice the Christian faith.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Species8472

MORE STORIES

Comments

"conservatives are attempting to codify bigotry into law"

This is news?

#1 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-20 03:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Old news yes. Here we go again.

americanhistory.si.edu

Just substitute "gay" for "negro".

#2 | Posted by Species8472 at 2014-02-20 03:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

Look on the bright side: similar laws just failed in four other states.

www.buzzfeed.com

#3 | Posted by ness_gadol at 2014-02-20 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ahhh yes, the tolerant right.

#4 | Posted by Nixon at 2014-02-20 04:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

So if I lived in Arizona I'd be allowed to own slaves and have sex with my daughters? After all, it's in the Bible.

#5 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-02-20 05:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

Nobody in AZ says you can't.

#6 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-20 05:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#5 | Posted by TFDNihilist

sounds like it is time once again to pull out the Letter to Dr. Laura.

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-02-20 05:52 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

Tor is Dr. Laura? Who knew??

#9 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-20 06:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

I like the Dr. Laura letter. You should pull it out more often.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-02-20 06:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

You should pull it out more often.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11

That is what She said. (I wish)

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-02-20 06:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

You wish Dr. Laura would say "you should pull it out more often"? Eeeeesh. Well, hey, who am I to give you grief? I'm one of those crazies that wouldn't mind boinkin' Laura Bush (at least the Laura Bush in Oliver Stone's movie :-P).

#12 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-02-20 06:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

lol She as in Her. All of them.

BTW if you have not seen the movie Her try and catch it when you can.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-02-20 07:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Don't you think the LGB in LGBT should split off and go their own way and the T should be doing it's own thing?

How are they related?

It seems like a big insult: "Hey you're all gross, you should form a community!" Am I right or wrong? Why are they all lumped in together other than a freak designation?

#14 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-02-20 08:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

"..conservatives are attempting to codify bigotry into law."

Not like the liberals did with ACA, of course.

#15 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-21 01:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

#15 Swing and a miss.

#16 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-02-21 01:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Why are they all lumped in together other than a freak designation?"

Because they all face discrimination, violence and um, even murder. Duh!

#17 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-21 07:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

That is what She said. (I wish)

#11 | Posted by donnerboy

Dr. Laura?

#18 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-02-21 08:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

Please don't let that be a link to the fur pics.

#19 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-21 12:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess I shoulda' put a NSFW tag, well really not safe for anything, except maybe as an ipecac substitute. I'm surprised it's still up.
If we could edit...

#20 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-02-21 12:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

Not like the liberals did with ACA, of course.

Still claiming corporations have religious rights or that an owner's rights supersede his/her employee's via the corporate proxy?

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2014-02-21 01:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

What's with the right-wing pathological need to sanction minority groups?

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-02-21 02:36 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Hmmmm, wonder if NFL will pull 2015 Super Bowl if signed.

#24 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-02-21 02:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Just like when they target minorities its the Liberals are racist/homophobic because they misconstrue laws that discriminate against homosexuals as bigotry. Sexual orientation baiters!!!

#25 | Posted by ron81 at 2014-02-21 06:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

Gov. Brewer may balk. www.azcentral.com

#26 | Posted by et_al at 2014-02-21 07:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

good for them. Hope this grows throughout the country.

Next thing is give back private business the right to decide who does what on their property such as smoking.

keep up the good work Arizona.

#27 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-21 09:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hope this grows throughout the country.

God I hope someone bans Tea Partiers from their business so I can watch you froth in self-righteous faux indignation.

#28 | Posted by jpw at 2014-02-21 09:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Since according to the teahadist types, corporations are people, what happens if a corporation is gay? Will it be discriminated against in the state of Arizona?

#29 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2014-02-22 01:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

If a person believes homosexuality to be a sin then why shouldn't they be able to deny employment to a gay person.

Imagine if the democrat national committee had to hire republicans because not doing so would be considered bigotry, or say a day care center having to hire a defrocked catholic priest.

No one should have to hire gays if they don't won't to.

#30 | Posted by mcmlcxx at 2014-02-22 01:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

why shouldn't they be able to deny employment to a gay person.

Spoken like a true bigot.

Good going AZ, your discrimination law just caused an employers to NOT expand in AZ and not bring thousands jobs.

Dumbasses.

"Greater Phoenix Economic Council President and CEO Barry Broome urged the governor to veto the bill and said four companies have already put their plans to open facilities in Arizona on hold until they see if the bill becomes law. The impact could mean the potential loss of "thousands of jobs," Broome said.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"

#31 | Posted by 726 at 2014-02-22 11:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

Headline's a bit misleading: the anti-gay discrimination hasn't yet been legalized; the legislation passed both houses of the state's legislature and await a yea or nay decision by Gov. Jan Brewer, not exactly a human stability barometer.

#32 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-02-22 12:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Further on the situation -- the legislation is exactly the kind of product one should expect from the labors of a creeping jeezus like Steve Yarborough, by the way -- especially with regard to Brewer:

Ariz. Gov. Jan Brewer in pressure cooker over 'anti-gay' bill
www.csmonitor.com

The bottom line?

Why, money, of course.

#33 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-02-22 12:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

-Gov. Jan Brewer

Arizona might be better off with Viktor Yanukovych.

I understand he is available.

#34 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-22 12:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

#28 | Posted by jpw at 2014-0

aha..wish I had a way to post a sound clip where you hear me laughing..out loud...

yeah...lol

it's called state's rights, federalism, tenth amendment...yada yada yada and all the rest of the things the country was founded on...doesn't work out for you with your alternative lifestyle there...They have lots of u-hauls for rent.

#35 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-22 01:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

This bill will be found unconstitutional and over ruled.

#36 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-02-22 01:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

there are already 'tea party businesses' being harassed and getting liberty and freedom taken away....at least they're trying. maybe you've heard of the OPERATIONAL NAME............operation obama care......

hobby lobby
sisters of the poor
catholic church...

#37 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-22 01:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

oops...stretching the word "business' back there on sisters of the poor and the church, but I"m sure you know what I mean.

#38 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-22 01:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

but I"m sure you know what I mean.

#38 | Posted by afkabl2

yes we know what you mean. People are slowly losing the "Liberty and Freedom" to discriminate.

But, folks like you will continue to fight that.

#39 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-02-22 01:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

you are so off base, there's no need to even reply

EXCEPT TO show that I've got a sense of humor and you libs....well don't..

here is a sign a friend of mine found...it's supposed to be legitimate...

www.allegiancemusical.com

#40 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-22 02:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

and come on...everyone knows what this is about...

its about protecting the people's right to not have to break from your certain religious beliefs just because someone wants a wedding cake with two men on it for example.

or not to be EXTORTED in the lefts tireless goal of abusing conservative and religious rights under the constitution...hobby lobby...church things...and FORCED to pay for baby killing and free birth control and other things people USED to have the liberty of believing in before this radical leftists extremists tyrant got into the white house.

this bill go too far? I don't know but I know they're exercising a right given to them a long time ago now being attacked by a bunch of lying, hypocritical, left wing zealots headed by barak obama.

#41 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-22 02:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

and before some of you even reply...

using the full force and weight of the government to force your will upon people is the basest form of tyranny. things such as BUYING insurance under GOVERNMENT penalty even in the face of anti religious beliefs..that's a tyrant.

#42 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-22 03:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

have a good day !

#43 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-22 03:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

I think I'm going to move to Arizona and start a bakery that caters to gay people. No breeders allowed. I wonder how that would go over. I know I would make a lot of money.

But I do have a question. I don't get the whole transgender thing. You can't change your chromosomes, so to some degree, isn't forcing me to accept transgenderism no different than forcing me to pretend that a guy is actually a girl? Or vice versa?

Wouldn't that be the same as forcing me to pretend that a white guy is actually black? I don't get it.

#44 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-02-22 08:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm going to start a bakery that doesn't allow Baptists or Mormons. My religion prevents me from trusting people who don't drink. And I wouldn't want to do business with someone I couldn't trust.

#45 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-02-22 08:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Poor babbler...so adamant, yet, so clueless.

'Tis indeed a pickle for Brewer. On one level, she knows that signing this bill will be a public relations disaster for Az, and will be her legacy, and not in a good way.

On the other hand, if she doesn't sign, she infuriates the base and ends her political career.

Tragic.

#46 | Posted by Dave at 2014-02-22 08:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

"But I do have a question. I don't get the whole transgender thing."

Why do you even care?

#47 | Posted by Dave at 2014-02-22 08:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

yeah I'm clueless...

at least when I made a charge I backed it up with more than just some stupid little remark that says nothing, means nothing and is worth nothing.

read madbomber....you may or may not agree with what he says, but he does more than just TROLL on one thread and then move onto the next...

HEY MAD...look at my post 40...the sign denying service to Arizona legislators is said to be legitimate...at least that it's there...lol

#48 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-22 09:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Pardon me if I don't shed a tear for people not being forced to serve others they don't want to have on their property.

With any luck they can now do the same to lawyers.

#49 | Posted by Tor at 2014-02-22 09:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

ha..good one tor...

would you mind if THIS person were on your property protesting against having to pay for abortions??

fbcdn-sphotos-c-
a.akamaihd.net

NO,,,,I didn't think so..

aha aha ha ha ha ha

#50 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-22 09:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I think I'm going to move to Arizona and start a bakery that caters to gay people. No breeders allowed. I wonder how that would go over."

The place would overflow with cupcakes?

#51 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-23 02:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

"...claimed that the legislation protects the "religious freedom" of private business owners, but critics of the measure say that conservatives are attempting to codify bigotry into law."

Translation: religion equal bigotry. Forcing the religious to go against their beliefs is freedom.
I do not agree with the Arizona law, but it is almost made necessary to protect people and businesses from the tyranny of civil court persecution. The left relies on lawsuits to whack opponents into fear, and that is a REAL miscarriage of justice. The baker will not make a gay wedding cake? Sue him!

#52 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-23 04:27 AM | Reply | Flag: