Friday, February 21, 2014

New York Times: The Common Core has been applauded by education leaders and promoted by the Obama administration as a way to replace a hodgepodge of state standards with one set of rigorous learning goals. Though 45 states and the District of Columbia have signed on to them since 2010, resistance came quickly, mostly from right-leaning states, where some leaders and political action groups have protested what they see as a federal takeover of local classrooms. But the newest chorus of complaints is coming from one of the most liberal states, and one of the earliest champions of the standards: New York. And that is causing supporters of the Common Core to shudder.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

afkabl2

MORE STORIES

Comments

Common Core is another tool used by the left in "central planning". It does not work as is being proved. Also, I do not believe that it is Constitutional. Knowing the program of progressive liberals, I do not think the people should trust it. It obviously attempts to indoctrinate the students instead of educate the children.

most writings of radical left wing extremist..aka, friends, mentors and advisers to this president...have all talked about how important it is that young minds are brainwashed for their 'cause' and agenda.

#1 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-18 02:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

and before the asinine assault on source is started, let me remind you it says it's from something called the new york times. is that a right wing paper of some sort?

#2 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-18 02:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Interesting read.

#3 | Posted by paneocon at 2014-02-18 03:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

The ultimate goal of a socialized education system is to create generations of socialists, not critical thinkers. The way this country is deteriorating proves it.

#4 | Posted by Ray at 2014-02-18 05:45 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I guess you're the result of an anti-social education system.

#5 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-18 07:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

I didn't take the same away from the article as you guys, the article specifically says no one is saying to pull out:
"Few in New York are calling for abandoning the standards. And state officials have not backed out of a national consortium developing exams based on the standards, as their counterparts in states like Georgia and Oklahoma have. No state that adopted the standards has gone so far as to withdraw from them."
But there are complaints or concerns in about 5 or so areas:
1) Its more challenging than complainers think kids can handle.
2) Tests weren't ready when standard accepted.
3) Teachers haven't mastered the curriculum (Content != Standard)
4) Homework is sometimes ill conceived (Draw a picture of nobody?)
5) Math concepts taught up to a year earlier than traditionally taught, and in new ways. (I've seen some of the way's they are trying to teach math, some of them are the same tricks I had to struggle to figure out on my own to make doing math in my head easier).

They seem like reasonable concerns, areas to look at for improvement.
Personally, I would like to see my kids taught at a minimum to the CC standards I've read, though I plan to push them much, much harder than the schools will.

#6 | Posted by blah at 2014-02-18 07:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

They keep saying Barack is dividing us, but your language doesn't really imply that you'd like us to all get along.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-18 07:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

WHAT! Comments cant be more than 4000 words? Damn, that was a good one too.

#8 | Posted by blah at 2014-02-18 09:22 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Correction, 4000 characters.

#9 | Posted by blah at 2014-02-18 09:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

In other words, a failed music teacher thinks something started by a retarded Texan is bogus when applied by a black man.

#10 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-18 11:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

History swings back and forth on moral issues. If we have a national common core, it might be the people you think have been vanquished who set the standards in the future.
'There IS global warming caused by humans' might become 'There ARE witches' or 'gays CAUSED AIDS'. Watch out. It's that aspect of common core and even no child left behind I suspect.

#11 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-19 03:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-1

It's always heartwarming to sit here and read your posts as I look at the picture of me conducting at Carnegie Hall as I get a message from the facebook group dedicated to my time at two different school programs as I close my eyes and think of the several times my groups were judged to be outstanding at the various competitions judged by college professors who MIGHT know a little more about my expertise in my chosen profession. All this as I rest from my two day clinic with four groups from one of the most decorated and outstanding programs in this state filled with high school programs that make most college programs from other places sound like middle school programs. OH and I see now that I have a message from one of my several students who chose to follow me in this profession...gee I guess they want to be a failed teacher as well..
I'm not sure how to address the charge using the highly insensitive remark to those of us with family members who have loved ones in our families with learning disabilities and problems since birth, but as the comment comes from a member of the hypocritical liberal segment of the population, there's no need to reply anyway.
but at least you ended your nonsense with a race card attack and with that I close knowing that the liberal world is still circling the bowl of the toilet.

bottom line...I understand when someone has no clue about something, but the question is..why do you feel the need to prove it.

#12 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-19 07:45 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Reading the posts on this thread convinces me that this country is mostly inhabited by paranoid lunatics. I'd be laughing but then I remember these lunatics can vote.

#13 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-19 07:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

Common core has issues but I don't think that means get rid of it entirely. Teaching math sooner is good however when you teach it in ways parents and even teachers are not familiar with it just begs for failure. Or like I read about one school doing they taught the same lessons with 4 different ways of solving it. The kids who got it were stuck doing the same problems different ways for 2 or 3 more days. I know in math doing it a different way can help you grasp and fully understand concepts but if you bore the kids to death they will quit paying attention.

That is probably my biggest complaint with public schools in general and there is no fix. Some kids get it quickly some don't and schools do not and can not accommodate individual lesson plans for all students.

That is where parents have to step up, if you kid is not getting it you have to take the time to show them other ways they might understand, if your kid is advanced you have to take the time to teach them extra stuff. The school can only do so much for the kids on the top and bottom of the curve.

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-19 08:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

yes I agree... parents HAVE to step up. it's their children that's involved no matter how many democrats and people on msnbc tell us that american children belong to EVERYONE..

I've wondered at times if you asked dads what courses even their kids were taking in school..how many would know more than one or even one...

I would like to see someone do a survey or something like that on that topic.

#15 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-20 01:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I would like to see someone do a survey or something like that on that topic."

:-)

#16 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-02-21 09:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

If ever there was a brainwashing campaign in this country it is about blind faith and patriotism. Testing is common in other countries, annually, not all the time. Standards can help to increase the percentage of people with basic core skills in mathematics and English, essential for joining the workforce.

#17 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-02-21 09:31 AM | Reply | Flag:

"You forgot to mention you won't believe said survey if it doesn't come from some righ-wing nutjob website."

It's much, much more valid to believe the tidbits coming from the left. I'm sure we'll see the healthcare negotiations shown on CSpan soon and I'm sure you kept your doctor and your health plan like everybody else...period!

#18 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-02-21 09:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

the real purpose of public education in this country is to thoroughly confuse children so they one day grow up and become thoroughly confused adults.

#19 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-02-21 09:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Though 45 states and the District of Columbia have signed on to them since 2010, resistance came quickly, mostly from right-leaning states, where some leaders and political action groups have protested what they see as a federal takeover of local classrooms."

After so much about Common Core lately, I've been paying more attention. Happened to see this when I was in Florida until Wednesday. Maybe there's more to this than I previously thought. I should've known, the government is really good with titles...like ACA, No child Left Behind etc.

"Outside the Ronald Blocker Educational Leadership Center in Orlando, dozens protested for more than an hour before Tuesday's meeting got underway, holding signs calling to stop a so-called "Common Core cover-up."

Parents, grandparents, students and future pupils loudly expressed their concerns, their chants echoing in front of the Orange County Public Schools headquarters. While many were from around Central Florida, the protesters also came from as far away as Tampa and Jacksonville.

Organizers said the number of people protesting Common Core has grown over the years, and they will continue to fight for change."

www.mynews13.com

#20 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-02-21 09:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

Going back to peaceful protests for civil rights in the South, you see a clear mandate for Federal intervention against those State's official cruel unconstitutional laws and policies. You also see it returning as inferior schools for minorities, voter suppression and vote fraud. And not just the South either, poverty is considered a crime punishable by charging them more for everything and providing them with less. It also means longer prison sentences.

#21 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-02-21 11:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

Education = indoctrination

Do what you are told or fail.

#22 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-02-21 06:52 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#21 | POSTED BY NUTCASE

Why stop at the 1960's. It was there in the 1860's too.

Frickin' Andrew Johnson.

#23 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2014-02-22 03:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Even kindegarten teachers are so micromanaged they can't even bring in a cocoanut and describe it to their class without first writing a lesson plan for it. And following a lesson plan like a robot isn't interesting to children. Sure they're indoctrinated. But they also learn to HATE.

Common core is the result of domestic enemies.

#24 | Posted by reitze at 2014-02-22 06:38 PM | Reply | Flag: