Saturday, February 15, 2014

Michael Dunn was found guilty of three counts of second degree attempted murder and one count of throwing or shooting a deadly missile at an occupied vehicle in the shooting death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis Saturday night. The jury was unable to reach a verdict on the charge of first-degree murder. That charge will be counted as a mistrial. According to First Coast News legal analyst Richard Kuritz, Dunn could face 20 years for each of the three attempted murder charges.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Hope for his sake they don't have rap music in prison.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-02-15 10:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Rioting is the answer.
This privileged White male murdered an African-American child because of loud hip-hp music.

Where is the outrage?

I demand to see rioting, looting and carnage.
Have the Reverends Jackson & Sharpton been alerted?

White people need to change.

#2 | Posted by Francois at 2014-02-15 11:05 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"one count of throwing or shooting a deadly missile at an occupied vehicle"

I think I did this once in a D&D campaign.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-02-16 03:46 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"The jury was unable to reach a verdict on the charge of first-degree murder. That charge will be counted as a mistrial."

Which enables a retrial on the charge, so not such a bad decision for now.
The guy ran after doing it. Enough said. He probably knew he was wrong.

#4 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-16 03:53 AM | Reply | Flag:

It is my understanding that the jury could have found Dunn guilty of a lesser charge (i.e. 2nd degree murder) if they could not agree on 1st degree murder. After all, 1st degree murder assumes some degree of premeditation which I don't think was present. However, their lack of agreement on a lesser charge suggests to me that some on the jury believed that Dunn was in fear of his life; that he acted in self defense. He may well have thought that was in fear of his life but was it a rational or irrational fear?

Since rationality is a subjective term, some on the jury obviously thought that Dunn was behaving rationally and others thought he behaved irrationally. I would love to see an analysis of the verdict based on the jurors' race/gender/ethnicity.

Personally, I don't think that Dunn acted out of fear. I think he was in a blind rage because some young black thugs mouthed off at him. Dunn had a gun and didn't have to endure the indignity of being verbally accosted by some young black thugs. He was "mad as hell and not going to take it any more".

The lies that Dunn told to justify his actions should have made the jury suspect his self defense claim:

Lie #1: Dunn testified that Davis got out of the van. It's been reported that 1) eyewitnesses said that Davis never exited the van and 2) the coroner testified that based on the wounds, etc., Davis was still in the van when he was shot.

Lie #2: Dunn testified that he told his girlfriend on numerous occasions that he saw a gun. His fiance testified that he never mentioned a gun. His fiance had no reason to lie; Dunn had every reason to lie.

I don't care how many years Dunn got; FL should retry the case.

#5 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2014-02-16 07:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

The lawyer for Jordan Davis' family recently published an interview he did with Michael Dunn's neighbor:

www.youtube.com

The neighbor claims that Dunn put a gun to the head of two wives, threatened to have them deported, did cocaine and other drugs, bragged about committing insurance fraud and once wanted the neighbor to arrange a hit on Dunn's former business partner.

More details on the Hendrix allegations here:

www.dailymail.co.uk

#6 | Posted by rcade at 2014-02-16 09:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

Of course I was not at the trial but after reading about it I can't believe it took the jury that long to make a convict.

#7 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-02-16 10:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

Too bad this was not introduced into evidence, but this is Michael Dunn's neighbor talking about what a piece of crap Michael Dunn is.

If Michael Dunn were black btw, this tragedy wouldn't have happened, because he'd already be in prison for any number of things he did. I really don't see white people defending him, but if you do you're an idiot.

You think this guy doesn't also make life miserable for white people? Racists aren't cool to ANYBODY. They're just extra crappy to other races. Watch this video. GUILTY. Plus he went home and had a pizza after the shooting. GUILTY.

www.youtube.com

#8 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-02-16 11:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

The guy ran after doing it. Enough said. He probably knew he was wrong.

#4 | POSTED BY DIABLO AT 2014-02-16 03:53 AM | FLAG:

From what I've seen in other SYG cases, reporting the shooting is not required.

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-16 11:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

That verdict is total BS. The poor man was simply standing his ground. Who wouldn't be in fear for his life if some [blacks] were playing that devil music and dranking grape. I predict some serious habeus corpus coming down on that prosecutor's ass.

#10 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-02-16 01:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

The law allows you to kill people you're scared of. I don't see how this guy can be found guilty of anything.

#11 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-16 03:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'd like to congratulate Florida for successfully avoiding some ugly race riots.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-02-16 04:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Here in Florida you get punished worse for shooting at a black teen and missing than hitting.

#13 | Posted by rcade at 2014-02-16 06:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

His only wrong doing was letting any witnesses live.

#14 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-16 09:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

All you need is one meathead (stubborn racist) on the jury to hang it.

#15 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-02-16 10:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Still not sure why they went with 1st degree, hard to prove it was premeditated and 2nd seems to more fit the facts of what happened.

#16 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-16 11:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hard to prove it was premeditated? Uhhhh....are you at all familiar with the details of the case? It was premeditated.

#17 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-17 12:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

#17 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

Ok, I'll bite. What was premeditated about it?

#18 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-17 11:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

I have to apologize to you Lohocla. This story does not have the details I read in many of the previous stories. I will find a story with the events as I read them and post them here. I came to my conclusion because Dunn had the argument with the kids and it was done. He then became agitated and someone leaving the store heard him say that he's not going to let those kids talk to him that way. He then went to his glove box and retrieved a gun, then started shooting.

#19 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-17 01:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

This is what got him second degree:

The jury did convict Mr. Dunn, 47, on three counts of second-degree attempted murder, one for each surviving teenager in the car. Jurors agreed that Mr. Dunn was trying to kill the teenagers -- not to defend himself -- when he got out of his car, crouched and shot several more bullets into the truck as it drove away.

#20 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-17 01:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

The kids also turned the music down when Dunn asked them to:

Dunn said he and Rouer went to the convenience store for wine and chips. He said he pulled in next to the SUV.
"My rear-view mirror was shaking. My eardrums were vibrating. It was ridiculously loud," he said Tuesday during several hours of testimony.
He said he asked the teenagers to turn down the music, which they did. But the volume soon rose again. Dunn described how he heard someone in the car use a derogatory term describing whites in the South.

www.latimes.com

#21 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-17 01:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

This is also interesting:

In what prosecutors called a "wow" trial moment, Dunn's fiancee, Rhonda Rouer, shaking on the witness stand, said that Dunn had not mentioned to her in the night and day they spent together before his arrest that any of the teens had a shotgun. Rouer was inside the gas station when the shooting occurred.

#22 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-17 01:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

I also read this :

Dunn had been angered by what he felt was the teenagers' disrespect. Dunn testified that one of the teenagers had yelled expletives at him, including the derogatory racial term "cracker". One witness claimed he heard Dunn respond: "You are not going to talk to me like that." The prosecution told the jury that Dunn "didn't shoot into a carful of kids to save his life. He shot into it to save his pride. Jordan Davis didn't have a weapon, he had a big mouth."

#23 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-17 01:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Then Dunn got his weapon and prepared it:

Dunn, who testified Tuesday, told jurors that Davis had pointed a shotgun at him from the window of the Durango, threatened to kill him and then tried to get out of the car. It was then, Dunn said, that he reached into his glove box, unholstered his 9mm pistol, chambered a round and opened fire, shooting 10 times.

#24 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-17 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe everyone is willing to follow the rule of law we have. Yet there are still a few vigilantes. George Zimmerman fears for his life.

#25 | Posted by jdmeth at 2014-02-17 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

So those are the events I've come across. Like I've said up thread, it's no problem for him to have killed them. That is very legal. He just seems to have thought about it, prepared to do it, then went ahead and finished his plan, right up to shooting at them as they were trying to escape.

#26 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-17 01:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

Thats why I said it was hard to prove that it was premeditated, never said it wasn't. It's just that there's no way to prove it w/out reasonable doubt.

Also, I would think that if it was premeditated, he would have included a cover story and stuck around for the police instead of having the "oh sh#t" moment and driving off with the weak excuse that he didn't think he did anything wrong.

Murder 2 is more logical but I think the prosecutor was trying to make a name for himself going for murder 1 and didn't make his case.

It also seems to fit the facts much better. He got pissed off and shot someone. Much easier to prove that because that's literally what happened.

So thats I asked why go for murder 1?

#27 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-17 02:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

"no way" means more of a "very difficult" and "unlikely" figure of speech, not a literal. Sorry for any confusion.

#28 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-17 02:41 PM | Reply | Flag: