Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Dale Hansen, a local sportscaster from WFAA in Dallas, TX, offered his two cents about the NFL's reaction to Michael Sam's declaration that he is gay. I welcome anyone who can put forth a valid argument against Hansen's?

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rstybeach11

MORE STORIES

Comments

With all this talk within NFL circles about becoming liberal on NFL players' pot use, it's incredible to simultaneously witness this antiquated intolerance of gays. "They will not be accepted in the locker room."

Well, they sure as hell won't with that attitude!

#1 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-02-12 02:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Wow, someone who actually understands, cares and is eloquent on local television? WOW, I know Texas produces some of the most literate and opinionated folks - but Dale Hansen has massive balls as well.:]

#2 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-02-12 04:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ack! I forget which terms are acceptable. Queue the moderator Nazi in 3, 2, 1..

#3 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-02-12 04:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's Texas. Something about steers and.....dammit can't remember.

#4 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-12 04:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

I agree with the jist of what he's saying but character issues have affected players' draft position countless times in the past. I'm not saying that being gay is a character issue. I'm saying that the writer's premise that NFL teams don't downgrade players due to known criminal behavior is not always true. Sometimes guys have dropped due to rumors of bad behavior. Really depends on the team, the talent level involved, depth of the given draft, etc.

Also:

"The best defensive player in college football's best conference only a third to fifth round NFL pick? Really? That is shocking, and I guess that other thing is, too."

I don't see how this is all that shocking to any NFL fan who pays attention to the draft. In the last 12 years, 8 Heisman winners were drafted in the 1st round. One was drafted in each of the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. And one went undrafted.

My understanding is that Sam was graded as a 3rd-5th round pick before the announcement, largely because he isn't big enough to play DE in the NFL and will likely be asked to switch positions. 3rd round would be pretty early to draft a player who has to make a drastic position change.

#5 | Posted by Sully at 2014-02-12 04:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Can we just recognize differences? I don't celebrate media events.

#6 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-13 02:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

Just saw this video on HLN. Apparently getting a LOT of air play. They're actually breaking down his statements on air.

Good message. Concise and impactful.

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-02-14 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag: