Monday, February 10, 2014

The owner of a longtime restaurant in Enid, Okla., won't serve gays, blacks, Hispanics, people with disabilities or people on welfare. "I've been in business 44 years, I think I can spot a freak or a f-----," said Gary James, owner of Gary's Chicaros. "I don't deal with these people walking down the street with no jobs on welfare. If I reached over there and slapped the ---- out of you, you should be offended. But to call someone a '-----' or someone call me a bigot, that doesn't bother me." Former customer Matt Gard said he ignored James' exclusion of customers until recently. "Now, he tried to find a weak excuse not to let me in with my wheelchair or the weak excuse of having loud people with me," he said. "The people who still go back and patronize his business are condoning his behavior in how he treats others."

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

BruceBanner

MORE STORIES

The business has a T-shirt with derogatory slogans against gays, the N-word on the front and threatens violence against Muslims, minorities and Democrats.

Comments

Gard said, "The people who still go back and patronize his business are condoning his behavior in how he treats others."

Sounds like Gard should have spoke up earlier instead of waiting till it affected him. I have no sympathy for Gard. That place don't look like a restaurant it's probably a Klan lodge.

#1 | Posted by patron at 2014-02-10 05:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Chicaros" ?????

Isn't that a Hispanic word?

For someone who hates ethnicity, that sounds a little strange.

#2 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-02-10 06:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

and threatens violence against Muslims

Ooooooooooo........

#3 | Posted by Rigel at 2014-02-10 06:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

"and threatens violence against Muslims"

No problem there. Just put a jar of pickled pigs knuckles on the bar.

#4 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-02-10 06:57 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Somewhere there is a person who is a member of the Masonic lodge who wants too give this guy a big hug and become a loyal customer to his restaurant and wear his shirt, but cant.
I am sure that Mason thinks the fact that he can do this must be a liberal plot.

#5 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-02-10 07:28 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#5 - so you chose to illustrate his hatred and bigotry by putting your own on display?

#6 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-02-10 07:37 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

#5 | Posted by PunchyPossum
Mason? I thought he looked more like Senator Byrd.

#7 | Posted by patron at 2014-02-10 07:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

No, No, Patron

Byrd was a straight shooter. This guy has that look of Joe McCarthy fear written all over him.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-02-10 07:53 AM | Reply | Flag:

No he's definitely a Klans man

#9 | Posted by patron at 2014-02-10 07:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by kudzu at

bigoted? Oh please, their was no bigotry in anything that I wrote there,
nor anything hateful really

#10 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-02-10 08:04 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

good grief.

I have to go Enid a couple times a year. We work with an insurance carrier based there.

I'm going to forward the link to my underwriter and ask about this ------.

#11 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-10 09:31 AM | Reply | Flag:

I have to go Enid a couple times a year.
#11 | Posted by eberly

Stop in and have a steak sounds like a fun place. Wear a sombrero,a MLK shirt and a Rainbow ribbon. Film it and post here.

#12 | Posted by patron at 2014-02-10 09:59 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

It's his restaurant. I guess he can do as he wishes.

#13 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-02-10 11:01 AM | Reply | Flag:

It's his restaurant. I guess he can do as he wishes.

Sure, the public accommodation laws mean nothing to him.

I would be watching for a 'sit in' soon.

From Wiki:

Within US law, public accommodations are generally defined as entities, both public and private (thus treating private business enterprises as if they were part of the government), that are used by the public. Examples include retail stores, rental establishments and service establishments, as well as educational institutions, recreation facilities and service centers. Private clubs and religious institutions are exempt. Public accommodation must be handicap-accessible and must not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin.[1][2]
Within the United States, legislation dealing with public accommodations include:
Civil Rights Act of 1964
Americans with Disabilities Act
State-level LGBT protection, such as in Colorado
State-level protections for breastfeeding in public[3]

#14 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-02-10 11:14 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#10 - as a Mason , who is not a republican, I disagree. Of course the possibility exists that you are just horribly misguided or just plain dumb.

#15 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-02-10 11:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

How can he tell a person on welfare by looking at them? Or a homosexual? What a tool. (For many reasons.)

#16 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-02-10 11:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

good thing his restaurant rules have teeth...

...cuz the majority of his patrons probably don't.

#17 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-02-10 11:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

sung to the tune of thorogood's "one bourbon, one scotch, one beer":

"so i stop in the local oklahoma bar-- you know people
i go to the bar, i hang my coat and i call the bartender--
i said "look man, come down here", he got down there but he all angry an red-- instead he punch me in da face and throw me out da do'--
and he yellin-- cain't ya see the sign???

no -----, no ------, no ------..."

#18 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-02-10 12:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

You gotta' check out the Facebook reviews of this bigots restaraunt.

They totally rip him a new one!

#19 | Posted by drewl at 2014-02-10 01:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

Was business slow or something?

I doubt it's slow now.

#20 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-02-10 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Was business slow or something?

I doubt it's slow now."

it's not slow, it's retarded.

#21 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-02-10 01:42 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

I have no idea why Masons have been brought up.

I also have no idea why this overtly un-Patriotic idiot would declare veterans left legless by IED's aren't welcome in his place of business.

Frankly he sounds more like Al-Quada than an Okie.

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2014-02-10 01:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Diner Owner: No Gays, People on Welfare"

Just put out a sign 'No Democrats' instead.

#23 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-10 02:29 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

What a cute little troll you are, Duplo. Now go back to checking Bill Donohue's emails.

#24 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-02-10 02:34 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

"Diner Owner: No Gays, People on Welfare"

Just put out a sign 'No Democrats' instead.

Right.....cause no Reps are gay right?

And isn't it strange that all those redneck Red states have the most people on welfare?

#25 | Posted by drewl at 2014-02-10 03:37 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#15 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-02-10 11:26 AMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e

Really? I think not, unless you're a "Prince Hall" Mason. I was a member of the craft until I fiigured out that little part of the catachism "we will not interfere with your religious or polotical sentiments" thing... Baloney... I was 21 and as I grew I came to realize that it was a factious,racist organization. the angry old white mens club...

#26 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2014-02-10 04:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

www.yelp.com

I guess he never heard of Santorum.

#27 | Posted by Species8472 at 2014-02-10 04:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

personally, i wish restaurant / cafe owners of his ilk all put out such a sign. do you know what he could do to your food if he took offense to your presence & you are unsuspecting?
i'm like, THANKS FOR THE WARNING, DUDE !

#28 | Posted by kenx at 2014-02-11 02:50 AM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | Posted by kudzu

By this response it is obvious what I was saying flew right over your head, maybe if you read it slowly with out your ego involved you will understand that it was not directed at all Masons.
it was a slight poke at a certain Mason.

#29 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-02-11 05:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

#29 | POSTED BY PUNCHYPOSSUM

Sokay Punchy, I got the reference, even gave you the funny for it. :)

#15 | POSTED BY KUDZU
Was, as Punchy said, a sort of a joke about one particular Mason.

#26 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS
The Mason referenced is, in fact, a Prince Hall Mason, which was why the give him a hug comment was amusing.

As a Mason I was mildly shocked that my blue lodge slants from mild to outright racism. Hell we even had one past master who used to add "except ------" out loud at the end of the Pledge of Allegiance during opening. The next MOL put a stop to that but still. That, the lack of any community work within the lodge, and my work schedule put a damper on the whole thing for me.

#30 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-11 06:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | POSTED BY SPECIES8472

Those reviews are funny.

#31 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-02-11 06:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

I won't be going there.

#32 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-11 11:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

32: Because you fall into one of those categories or in protest?

#33 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-02-11 12:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

32: Because you fall into one of those categories or in protest?
#33 | Posted by pragmatist

both. I could walk in there, but most probably, at any time, someone with me would be rejected.

I support the guy's right to run his business any way he wants, but I won't be supporting his business.

#34 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-11 12:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

"won't serve gays, blacks, Hispanics, people with disabilities or people on welfare."

The disability thing is what can really kill him. I'm not sure how the laws vary from state to state. But having family members who have owned restaurants, I know the powers that be can bankrupt you with their requirements for accomodating the disabled.

#35 | Posted by Sully at 2014-02-11 12:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | Posted by Twinpac

Byrd was a straight shooting KKK grand dragon. Joe McCarthy was right.

#36 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-02-11 01:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

He should be forced to bake them all a cake.

#37 | Posted by sames1 at 2014-02-11 05:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

There's a story out to day about a gay group that has filled his Facebook page with entries about what a great gay restaurant he has, and how good he looks in boa feathers and thongs, lmao.

#38 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-11 05:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Joe McCarthy was right.

#36 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-02-11 01:00 PM | Reply | Flag: Still paranoid about a commie invasion.(but certainly not alone on this site)

#39 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-02-11 05:37 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"Right.....cause no Reps are gay right?"

After all Mark Foley doesn't have a thing for manass.

#40 | Posted by Tor at 2014-02-11 05:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

#35 | Posted by Sully

No, I think it better that the public decide.

#41 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-11 06:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

#35 | Posted by Sully

Better than that is Karma. One day, they are going to carry his dumb --- into Oklahoma City after a heart attack and the emergency room will be staffed with a black surgeon that evening. The fear that his lifetime of bigotry creates for himself. (actually what would be better is they mistake the pain for lower-gi problems and the Gastroenterologist is black, Ha ha ha ha ha ha - no anesthetist is on duty tonight - Ha ha ha ha ha ha)

#42 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-11 06:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Just sprinkle bacon bits on EVERYTHING sold. 90% of the problems dissappear.

#43 | Posted by reitze at 2014-02-12 01:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I hope his big mouth gets the attention of the relevant agencies and inspectors and they go over his place with a fine toothe comb."

Just like the Obama administration does with Conservatives