Saturday, February 08, 2014

AOL Chairman Tim Armstrong blamed the babies of two employees for increasing the company's benefit costs on Thursday, explaining in a conference call that AOL had to pay millions out in medical bills and alter its entire benefits package. The remarks came just hours after the company announced changes to its 401(k) plans and complained that Obamacare has increased costs by $7.1 million. "We had two AOL-ers that had distressed babies that were born that we paid a million dollars each to make sure those babies were OK in general," Armstrong said.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

HeliumRat

MORE STORIES

Comments

Well there's this...

The Patch unit, championed by Armstrong, has lost an estimated $200 million."

and this...

In 2012, Armstrong earned 12.1 million
So of course it's 2 sick babies ($2m) and Obamacare that forcing his decision to cut benefits.

#1 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-02-08 02:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Not to worry it's the HuffPost....

they'll just blame republicans and koch brothers!

#2 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-08 02:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | POSTED BY DAVETHEWAVE

Must not have read the article.

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-02-08 04:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

Blaming a pair of infants?

Really?

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2014-02-08 04:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Is it just because the modern United Corporations of America will use any method to increase our servitude to corporate control?

If you need your job for your health insurance, you're more likely to tolerate corporate abuse.

Funny how every other modern nation offers public plans and no other nation ties insurance to employment. Is this the american "exceptionalism" the right loves so much?

The only thing we are exceptional at is [...].

#5 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-02-08 05:35 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

I hate having insurance tied to employment.

#6 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2014-02-08 07:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

I hate having insurance tied to employment.

#6 | Posted by DixvilleNotch

I agree. It's time for single payer.

#8 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-02-08 08:02 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 4

8 is NW

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-08 08:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

The whole point of insurance is pay the costs if there is a problem. But The insurance companies are expert at dodging their responsibilities, changing the coverage annually. Each year they study their costs and cut the largest they can get away with. Only the Courts can keep them in line and the cost of entry there is enormous.

#10 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-02-08 09:00 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

instead of slashing 401k's why not promote a charity for the babies who need the help to raise money? This is a problem. This is why people hate republicans and corporations.

#11 | Posted by pragmatous at 2014-02-08 10:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

And the millions paid to often incompetent CEO hired hands and their executive minions mean nothing? Americans need to start demanding that our economy be shared by all instead of being divvied up and given only to a select few. The OWS movement was a good start.

#12 | Posted by Robson at 2014-02-08 11:31 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

Who's the spammer?

#14 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-02-09 01:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

Huh, you're right, he is a spammer. And here I thought we where just talking lone madman quoting crazy website. Now I'm thinking that's actually his website.

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2014-02-09 01:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

AOL boss reverses 401(k) cuts and apologizes to employees

www.chicagotribune.com

#16 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2014-02-09 02:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

Huffpost/reddit/dig are owned by the same people who own newspeak.

They are part of the fascist media.

There are NO real liberals in power nor fascist media.

Not one.

#17 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-02-09 02:25 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Blame the fact that AOL should just go out of business!

#18 | Posted by TwoCents at 2014-02-09 02:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Tell me again why your employer should have ANYTHING to do with your health insurance?"

I agree. Now that we have the healthcare exchange, we should all just buy our own. We really can have health insurance be very much like a cell phone plan. If businesses don't have to worry about health coverage, people won't be as tied to their jobs and will be more free to start their own.

Anyway, My understanding is that the reason employers pay for health coverage comes from the 50's when income taxes were excessively high. Companies started providing health coverage as a way to effectively increase pay without having to pay any taxes. It eventually became standard practice and companies have had to do it to compete. It kind of worked out since most people have jobs, and it largely solved the preexisting conditions problems.

#19 | Posted by LEgregius at 2014-02-09 09:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

because lazy people with a huge sense of entitlement want them to pay for it.

Now, they just want the govt to pay for it.

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 09:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

because lazy people with a huge sense of entitlement want them to pay for it.

Now, they just want the govt to pay for it.

#21 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 09:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

because lazy people with a huge sense of entitlement want them to pay for it.

Now, they just want the govt to pay for it.

#22 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 09:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

because lazy people with a huge sense of entitlement want them to pay for it.

Now, they just want the govt to pay for it.

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 09:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

because lazy people with a huge sense of entitlement want them to pay for it.

Now, they just want the govt to pay for it.

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 09:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

because lazy people with a huge sense of entitlement want them to pay for it.

Now, they just want the govt to pay for it.

#25 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 09:42 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Jesus H christ.

sorry

#26 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 09:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

EBERLY

That happened to me once when I had AOL.

#27 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-02-09 10:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat
"Now I'm thinking that's actually his website."

Oh, it definitely is.
Here's my favorite (so far) sentence from the site:
"Whereas, most seek refuge in the Santa God where their imagination sector, with aid, has created the ruby slippers of the hierarchical Saviorship drama."

#28 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-02-09 10:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

Damn, Eb! SIX times?!? LOL.

By the way, "I never get tired at laughing at fools who think they want single payer but wave the pom poms for obamacare, considering they are the exact opposite of one another" get an NW flag.

(Or, in this case, six NW flags)

#29 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-02-09 10:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

LOL

Ipad ..not used to it yet

#30 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 10:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

#5 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-02

aha ha that's funny...

here is where some might say something about how obama and dems are as guilty as anyone but not today. The bottom line is we've been lied to repeatedly for years by OBAMA and the dems and that also includes issues pertinent to employers and 'corporate -------'... lol

#31 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-09 01:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

oh yeah...and one major reason why they should have something to do with health care is when the alternative is the federal government because your welfare is not the reason or issue. It's about power and controlling you and your vote.

#32 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-09 01:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

Flag:

#32 | Posted by afkabl2

Yeah that must be why every nation that has single payer LOVES it and none of them would trade health care systems with us for a second.

#33 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-02-09 04:41 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

AOL???

I was wondering whatever happened to that company. I would have thought they would have thrown in the towel years ago.

#34 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-02-09 04:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

because lazy people with a huge sense of entitlement want them to pay for it.
Now, they just want the govt to pay for it.
#24 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 09:42 AM

When the deliberate sabotage caused thousands of registrants data to be made public you LAUGH? What comments did you make? Giggles and drool? Talk about being a lazy ----er.

#35 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-02-09 04:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

On topic: I'm actually glad we did not merge with AOL all those years back. What a cabal of scum.

#36 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-02-09 04:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

America On Lithium.

#37 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-09 04:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

3 Haha, I guess you are just pretending not to know AOL owns huffpost??

Only in the low info world of the left, can such things be overlooked!

www.huffingtonpost.com

#38 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-09 05:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

"And I never get tired at laughing at fools who think they want single payer but wave the pom poms for obamacare, considering they are the exact opposite of one another."

Baloney, the exact opposite of single payer is what we had before Obamacare. Obamacare is what you get in a country deeply divided between those who want a healthcare system that serves all Americans and those who were so concerned that the poor insurance companies would lose their cut of our healthcare dollars. I don't know why they care so much about insurance companies and bank CEOs but there are millions who really do care about those greedy SOBs. Had it been up to me, the investment banks that needed bailing out would have belonged to taxpayers after the bailouts and the health insurance companies would have gone the way of the dinosaur.

#39 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-09 05:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Speaking of greed, AOL and incompetent overpaid value and country destroying CEOs....one only needs to look at Case and Levin and the big deal/purchase of Time Warner using inflated AOL stock in 2000. I had owned AOL stock for some time and only through a stroke of luck I sold it before the M&A. Actually I sold other tech stocks in approx the same time frame and saved a ton of paper profits. AOL went downhill from the day they announced the merger. Soon both were in the pits. Ted Turner had his axx handed to him too by the slicksters.

The CEOs play the system in cahoots with Wall St bankers to create volatility that they and hedge funders then use to create gains.

Also saved myself later by cashing out in 2007. WS is a casino of loaded dice and marked decks where the Fed and our money supply is the ultimate pump. My fear is that they've created another bubble with QEs that will sink pensions and insurance. OWS had the right idea, but Obama and Congress are owned by the thieves. A gallows was needed for the terrorists and instead they were bailed out.

Ever wonder why CNBC and the Fed Reserve don't even come close to represent the demographics of America?

#40 | Posted by Robson at 2014-02-09 06:07 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

39 What a pile of crud. YOU LIED about obamacare danni. Plain and simple, every which way to China.

1 You "toasted" Obama saying "You drove the car into the ditch, 'we' just got it out, and now you want the keys back? YOU CAN'T DRIVE"!!

You wanted ZERO republican input. Don't blame the right for what you REFUSED to accept when crafting this monstrosity!!

2. The D's wrote 100% of it, how can you not fess up and take responsibility?

3. You said it was all about getting those "48 million" (yes that was the number YOU USED dozens of times) uninsured people insured. This was not suppose to be a rewrite of current Insurance. "If you like your plan you can keep it PERIOD.

4. What is the number of new insureds? What is the number plus minus...the good old Obama created "Saved or Created?" Liar!!

5. How many of those 48 million, now supposedly down to 30 million, can afford ACA? (This is another big lie from the left. NONE of the LSM is asking this)

Only a pathological lying demented low info hack could forget their brazen lies

#41 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-09 06:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

To those low info dr left posters unaware that it's Arrianna screwing over her people, then pay attention wimps.

corp.aol.com

#42 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-09 06:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

"2. The D's wrote 100% of it, how can you not fess up and take responsibility?"

How utterly laughable considering it was based on the same system Mitt Romney pushed in MA and which was originally crafted by the Heritage Foundation. Also, parts of it were suggested by REpublicans in Congress who never intended to support it but did have input into the creation of it.

"3. You said it was all about getting those "48 million" (yes that was the number YOU USED dozens of times) uninsured people insured."

I've never used that number in my life, I never even thought that number. Where does 48 million come from? I couldn't tell you now, nor could I tell you three years ago how many uninsured there are but we both know there were millions.

"Only a pathological lying demented low info hack could forget their brazen lies.

For you to call me a liar about the things discussed in my post above is laughable and makes you look exactly like the names you are calling me. To pretend I didn't argue constantly for single payer during the months of creation of the ACA is ridiculous and there are plenty of people here who remember that, the same thing with the banks. I constantly said we should have used the exact same rules that FDIC uses when they have to bail out a commercial bank. They come in, fire all of the management, reorganize the bank and make is solvent then resell it to new investors. The Tea Party was brought out into the street by Rick Santelli, from the floor of the commodities exchange, to defend the CEOs and the stock holders of the bankrupt banks. That's just history.

#43 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-09 06:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

poor sap.

cant learn. ever.

#44 | Posted by eberly at 2014-02-09 07:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

AOL?

Target?

UPS?

Why do these companies hate the Democrats?

I just don't understand it!!!

#45 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-09 07:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Why do these companies hate the Democrats? "

Who cares? The Democratic Party doesn't claim to represent those companies, too bad the Republicans do. Us Democrats are more concerned with the employees of those companies.

#46 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-09 08:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

You just keep spouting lies. NOTHING you type is true.

Evey point there is 100% true. If rcade wasn't constantly protecting you by disabling the search function, I'd prove it.

You sold ACA with a bunch of lies. Does it bother you Obama lied to all America? Does it bother you that you repeated LIES?

2. What a laugher, how dare you deny responsibility for this 100% dem written plan.

3 Yes YOU used the number dozens of times. I would say that makes you a pathological liar. It's a strong word, one completely factual. YOU used the number. How dare you pretend otherwise.

1, 4, and 5 you 'chose' to ignore because lies become you. You are the lie!!

#47 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-09 08:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

You become like ----. Denying your own comments, pretending you never typed them.

#48 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-09 08:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

"First it's funny how you refuse to answer all my 'questions' very typical of you!"

I answered enough of them to make a fool out of you, that you think you are worthy of any more of my attention is sort of funny all by itself.
Anger and hostility are so much of what you seem to be about, must be a bit sad to be you.

#49 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-09 08:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

You proved your a troll

#50 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-09 09:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

Pathological

#51 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-09 09:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

So do you finally admit that to you the ends justify the means?

#52 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-09 09:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

And I do get emotional about LIARS!!!!

you've never been able to say I've told a lie, nor have I failed to answer any and all of your questions.

#53 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-09 09:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

"You proved you're a troll"

FTFY

#54 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-09 09:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

"BTW you made a fool out of all Americans who thought they could keep their doctors and their health plans."

The vast majority of American have, including me. A very tiny minority hasn't and even for them the PResident decided to let them yet you are still trying to make a mountain out of a pimple and it's just sad. Realize, Obama has successfully passed and is now implementing the largest change in healthcare in over 50 years and you and your party are like fleas trying to bring down an elephant with your pesky little criticisms. Even REpublicans are now accepting ACA is here to stay, like it or not, it's here and Obama will be, forever, remembered as the President who brought it to us while Republicans did nothing but try to snap at his ankles in an effort to prevent progress.

#55 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-09 09:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Why do these companies hate the Democrats? "

#46 | POSTED BY DANNI

Wrong again, Danni.

Democrats are not concerned about these people. If they were, they'd be paying for it. Democrats use the hard work of others.

This is why the facts are that Republicans have more compassion.

It's a "Teach a man to fish" thing and you wouldn't understand.

#56 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-09 11:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

So, Danni,

Why do these companies hate the Democrats.

You didn't answer.

ObamaCare caused these people to lose their benefits and/or their jobs.

Are you really that dishonest? How long do you expect Americans to tolerate this idiocy?

#57 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-09 11:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

#55 | POSTED BY DANNI

Actually, the Republicans will be taking over and will change it to the original Republican plan which is to have each state take care of the people who can't get insurance because of preexisting. The idiotic Federal mandates will go away. Obama will be remembered as a clown just as Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter are remembered.

#58 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-09 11:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Obama will be remembered as a clown just as Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush are remembered.
#58 | POSTED BY LASTAMERICAN

FTFY!

#59 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-02-09 11:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Reagan and Bush Sr. did as well as JFK.

I agree with your adding Bush, Jr.

But be careful with Nixon. Obama is doing the same things Nixon did, spying, using the IRS against his enemies. But Obama is probably closer to Wilson.

#60 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-09 11:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Would be nice if we followed the Japanese Model that voluntarily and customarily only pays CEOs 12x the salary of the lowest paid employee. Then we wouldnt have CEOs complaining about employees children being the cause for reduction in benefits.

#61 | Posted by aescal at 2014-02-10 01:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

#61 | POSTED BY AESCAL

We don't.

He blamed it on ObamaCare.

So did Target and UPS.

You want to know something else that you're entitled attitude is not going to like?

It's none of your business what a CEO is paid.

#62 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-10 09:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

It's also none of your business what a business pays its workers.

If the minimum wage were eliminated, two facts that you can't get passed:

1. Everyone would have a living wage
2. Everyone would have a job.

#63 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2014-02-10 09:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Obamacare is what you get in a country deeply divided between those who want a healthcare system that serves all Americans and those who were so concerned that the poor insurance companies would lose their cut of our healthcare dollars."

Our healthcare system doesn't serve all Americans? Is there some law that I am unaware of the prohibits one from getting medical care?

In some ways, single payer would be better than ACA. Sure, the quality of care would probably be -------. Incredibly long waits. Efficiency levels on par with the DMV. But if you're going to force one segment of Americans to pay for the healthcare of another, It would probably be a little more fair to distribute the cost more evenly, instead of making a young healthy guy pay for two or three others who haven't taken care of themselves. I mean, I realize that votes must be bought, but shouldn't the government at least attempt to maintain some illusion that they aren't screwing people over?

#64 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-02-10 10:39 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

It's none of your business what a CEO is paid.

#62 | POSTED BY LASTAMERICAN

It is if they are claiming they are not making enough money to pay living wages for their workers. THEY brought it up not us.

#65 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-02-10 11:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

It's time for single payer.

As long as that "payer" pays for his own insurance premiums.

But that's not what you had in mind, right?

#66 | Posted by boaz at 2014-02-10 12:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's time for single payer.

Not going to happen.

#67 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-02-10 01:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

Classy...

#68 | Posted by tiger150 at 2014-02-10 01:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

You are right JeffJ...And I'm glad of it..

#69 | Posted by boaz at 2014-02-10 01:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

"The unmitigated disaster known as ACA has killed any chance of single-payer becoming a reality. There is no way the public is going to clamor for even MORE government control of health care after this."

A few years ago the Republicans thought they were going to kill ACA, then they were going to defeat it in court, then they were going to attack the roll out and try to make repeal popular, now most just accept that it is here to stay. Thus, I don't put much credence in the predictions coming from conservatives who have been wrong about everything for a very long time.

#70 | Posted by danni at 2014-02-10 01:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

#60 | POSTED BY LASTAMERICAN

Link?

#71 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-02-10 01:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

A few years ago the Republicans thought they were going to kill ACA

Before it passed? The passage of ACA was entirely predicated on the Democratic party.

then they were going to defeat it in court

I don't know of any conservative who was 100% optimistic that SCOTUS would shoot it down.

then they were going to attack the roll out and try to make repeal popular

The rollout was, and still is, an absolute disaster. The law is overwhelmingly unpopular in all polling since it was passed.

#70 | POSTED BY DANNI

Every prediction conservatives made about ACA have either already been proven true (skyrocketing premiums and deductibles, massive plan cancellations) or are trending toward being proven true (the negative impact on worker hours, layoffs, etc due to the perverse incentives in the employer mandate which has yet to take effect). Heck, very few conservatives predicted the website would be such a disaster as it seemed unfathomable that a website couldn't be designed properly given that we are dealing with technology, not policy, when it comes to the site.

#72 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-02-10 01:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

#70 | POSTED BY DANNI

I love how you talk in absolutes.

Those with whom you disagree are so stupid they are wrong about everything.

#73 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-02-10 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

How about danni's prediction that Obama would become a fiscal hawk by the end of his first term?

Or that Americans would love ACA once it rolled out?

#74 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2014-02-10 05:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

I hate having insurance tied to employment.

#6 | Posted by DixvilleNotch

I agree. It's time for single payer.

#8 | Posted by Whatsleft

The dawning of the all insured, none employed era...

#75 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-10 08:07 PM | Reply | Flag: