Thursday, February 06, 2014

Democratic Texas gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis wants licensed Texans to be able to openly carry handguns. Davis told AP that she supports a proposed "open carry" law that would allow people with concealed handgun licenses to openly wear pistols in public. The state senator is a gun owner but doesn't have a concealed handgun permit herself, her campaign spokesman Bo Delp said.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

AndreaMackris

MORE STORIES

This is a good political strategy ...

Comments

So the Texas tart is a gun nut?

#1 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-02-06 12:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-06 12:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Texas Tart"

They say rats eat their own.

#5 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-06 04:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

They say rats eat their own.

#5 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-02-06 04:04 PM | Reply | Flag

You'd know better than me I guess.

#6 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-02-06 04:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

American voters have consistently supported candidates who reflect different attitudes from their own on many issues.

As a sane voter, I dont expect my Governor to agree with everything I think all the time.

Wendy Davis needs not agree with a given voter on every issue to be a good Governor. Every decision she makes will be in what she sees as the best interest of the citizens of Texas. Thats the gig.

Wtf, it's Texas. Go around town dressed like a YMCA cowboy if you like. Wendy Davis will support your right to wear your gun and holster to the Waffle House.

FREEDOM!!!

#7 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-02-06 10:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-02-07 01:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

If we're going to have a sizable minority who desire and are permitted to carry guns around, I'd much prefer if they were required to carry them openly.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-02-07 02:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

Or it's an indication of the reality that people don't all hold monolithic viewpoints. Gee, that would be shocking.

Let's see: I'm a liberal, but I'm in favor of at least exploring school vouchers. I'm a liberal, but I'm not against gun ownership. And I know conservatives who would not be in favor of open carry. Weeeeiiiirrrrd! I and they must all be pandering to someone.

She lives in Texas. Why is it so hard to think that she could be a liberal and be in favor of gun rights in this fashion? Vermont Republicans are often pro-environment, you know...

Why do so many Americans have this restrictive view of what it means to be liberal or what it means to be conservative? (Or Dem? Or Repub? Or or or or?)

#10 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-02-07 06:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

There are no real liberals in power nor fascist media in the usa.

A real liberal would understand that disarming the masses is a ploy of power, and be against almost all gun control except in the most extreme cases(plutonium, etc).

#11 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-02-07 08:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I guess Oldwhiskey is admitting she is not really in favor of the open carry but it's difficult to tell. He evades it with sarcasm...Dee-ah-blow"

OK,
Show me one scintilla of of evidence that suggested that I thought Wendy Davis is being disingenuous in my post.

You can not, because there is none there.

It is all in your brain, and nowhere in my post.

#12 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-02-07 09:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Amazing how liberals have to sound conservative to get elected. It's an admission of their lack." #2 | POSTED BY DIABLO

Au contraire mon ami, it says allot about being bred in Texas and becoming institutionalized loony.

#13 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-02-07 09:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

Au contraire mon ami, it says allot about being bred in Texas .....

#13 | Posted by CrisisStills

would that be wheat or white? do you want butter on that?

#14 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-02-07 10:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

As an advocate of the 2A right of average competent Americans to bear arms, I'm not exactly a proponent of open carry.

While it should be available as an option, the right to carry concealed is a much more effective means of self defense. Open carry sometimes makes the public nervous, while it gives the criminals an advance warning.

#15 | Posted by Robson at 2014-02-07 11:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

Its common sense. If you already have the permit to conceal and carry, open carry should be legal. No reason not to.

But the officers have the right to stop you and ask for papers anytime. Just like if you are out fishing, they can stop you and ask for your fishing license.

#16 | Posted by Sycophant at 2014-02-07 11:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

As a kid in Texas, the only weapon you could carry on your person was a knife no longer than 6'. No gun at all unless it was visible on a rack in your pick'em up truck.

It wasn't until the crazy Repubs took over that people began carrying guns everywhere, in church and in bars.

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-07 11:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Open carry sometimes makes the public nervous, while it gives the criminals an advance warning"...Robson

Concealed carry is more upsetting to me personally.

Perhaps if a criminal sees open carry he will be less likely to do a crime. That is the logic, right? Sounds like you might be suggesting that a surprise gun fight is what you are hoping for.

#18 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-02-07 11:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

NW... open carry might actually prevent an assault. But then where's the fun of actually getting to shoot someone?

#19 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-07 11:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

wendy supports open carry..

sure...of course she does.

anyone wonder why during her time in the texas senate that she never mentioned that then?

yeah..I thought so....

#20 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-07 01:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Babbles cant stand the thought of Gov. Davis, and is ready to change reality to run from the concept that he does not have everything 'all figured out'.

#21 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-02-07 01:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

I am for a version of open carry. The version where the weapon is secure enough that they dont get it easily jacked.

#22 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-02-07 03:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

-I am for a version of open carry

Guns, not beer...

#23 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-07 04:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | Posted by Robson

Well, that makes no sense to me.

Seems like giving criminals advance warning is the most effective deterrent imaginable.

Same reason a barking dog is the #1 defense against home burglary.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-02-07 08:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

aha ha ha ha governor davis....that's funny..

she would have to be appointed by his royal imperial president and the way he's flushing the constitution...AGAIN CHANGING OBAMACARE....that could actually be a possibility because democrats here wouldn't care either....

#25 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-07 08:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Same reason a barking dog is the #1 defense against home burglary."

For some, the idea is to kill the "perp", not stop the burglary.

#26 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-02-07 08:09 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

a barking dog is the #1 defense against home burglary

Horse manure.

The probability of getting shot is.

Lawyers, Guns, and Burglars

Lie some more, I need the laughs.

#27 | Posted by Zatoichi at 2014-02-07 08:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

"anyone wonder why during her time in the texas(sic) senate that she never mentioned that then?
yeah..I thought so...."
#20 | POSTED BY AFKABL2 AT 2014-02-07 01:22 PM | FLAG: FAILED current events

That's funny, on the Jeff Ward show this afternoon on KLBJ AM that's exactly what they were talking about.

#28 | Posted by Zatoichi at 2014-02-07 08:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

a barking dog is the #1 defense against home burglary
Horse manure.
The probability of getting shot is.
Lawyers, Guns, and Burglars
Lie some more, I need the laughs.
#27 | Posted by Zatoichi

What utter nonsense you post.

"Firearms also appear to provide protection from an extremely costly, but rare event: genocide."

Followed immediately by "Every government in the twentieth century which has perpetrated genocide has first disarmed the victims."

Looks to me like the firearms didn't provide any protection at all.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-02-07 09:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

"was a knife no longer than 6' "

Damn, but that's a long knife!

#30 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-02-07 09:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Dutch: It's the .88 Magnum. They made it for him special.
Danny Vermin: It shoots through schools.

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-02-07 10:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

-Damn, but that's a long knife!

Everything is bigger in Texas.

#32 | Posted by Corky at 2014-02-07 11:59 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#28 | Posted by Zatoich

so please explain to me how this matters to my comment. I said she never brought it up before and you said oh yes she brought it up today...

hello ??? MCFLY??? MCFLY???

OH I get it..you're saying I"m right..well okay then..

#33 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-02-08 12:27 PM | Reply | Flag: