Thursday, January 30, 2014

The finger-pointing began almost immediately -- and with good reason.
A mere few inches of snow had shut down Atlanta, forcing children to spend the night at schools, stranding drivers on interstates and making the city a laughingstock to the country. As thousands of Atlanta commuters sat motionless on interstates Tuesday night into Wednesday, Georgia's governor said the path of the storm caught officials off guard. "We have been confronted with an unexpected storm that has hit the metropolitan Atlanta area," Deal told reporters late Tuesday night.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

gracieamazed

MORE STORIES

More from CNN: How can this happen in and to a world-class region? One answer: It was poor planning and panicky citizens who don't know how to deal with the snow. Another: That's just the price you may have to pay for living in Atlanta, famous for its traffic frustrations. Misleading weather forecasting is another answer. And some say it's because everyone departed their schools and offices at the same time.

Comments

The good news is that the city is now on the problem and has it's snowplow going. Roads are expected to be passable by May.

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2014-01-29 04:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

There's a story out now the meteorologists are Pi**ed the Georgia politicians are saying there was no warning.

#2 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-30 01:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-30 01:50 AM | Reply | Flag:

Our area gets snow and ice every winter. Sometimes we get a lot of it.
But I won't condemn Atlanta. I think my area would be a cluster**** if we suddenly had to prepare for a hurricane.

#4 | Posted by Whizzo at 2014-01-30 09:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

What did they get, 3 1/2 inches at the most? Up here in New England, that's barely enough to bother plowing. When I was commuting in to Boston, it was rare we were given a snow day by my employer; usually it took a snowfall in excess of 1 foot for them to even consider closing or sending people home early.

My current office is in Charlotte, NC and I'm working remotely from my home in Mass. My boss yesterday said they had an inch so he was going to have to work from home and that there was only going to be a skeleton crew in the office. One of my buddies from this area is living in Charlotte, sent me pictures...the grass on his lawn was still visible and on the sidewalk there was barely enough to sweep with a broom. He went into work and the streets were fine, just a bit of snow in the middle between the tire tracks.

I don't get it. If it's ice, that's one thing but at least up here we can usually deal with that quickly with the salt trucks. But to hear the panic in the people in my office over maybe an inch of snow...that was amazing.

#5 | Posted by DCinMA at 2014-01-30 12:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Did the Govenor ask for emergency relief after the first 2 inches?

#6 | Posted by wisgod at 2014-01-30 12:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Atlanta itself is a logistical nightmare in an emergency. Hate the road system up there.

Whole issue just spawned from the fact people couldn't drive on the icy roads and most people who work in the city have to drive very long distances and have only one or two choices on where to drive home. One accident and screw thousands of people.

#7 | Posted by daniel_3 at 2014-01-30 05:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

I remember only a couple inches of snow shutting down Ft. Bragg back when I was in the military, and a bunch of my friends and I laughing about how hardcore this made us army types look. But man... those southerners seriously can't drive on it.

#8 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-30 07:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Did the Governor ask for emergency relief after the first 2 inches?

No, he took the rest of it like a man.

#9 | Posted by cookfish at 2014-01-30 07:45 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

#9 | POSTED BY COOKFISH AT 2014-01-30 07:45 PM | REPLY | FLAG:FF!

And yet, you don't know how badly I hate trying to explain to my gf why I just laughed so hard I choked, while she's just giving me this slightly disapproving confused look.

#10 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-30 07:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

I shake my head as I read about the traffic snarls in Atlanta and think to myself, "What did this mayor do to piss off Governor Christie?"

#11 | Posted by DCTexan at 2014-01-30 08:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by zeropointnrg
"she's just giving me this slightly disapproving confused look."

That's just their usual look, in my experience.

#12 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-01-30 08:56 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"BTW, for the Yankees among us, snow in the south sometimes turns to ice quickly because of moist gulf air. I was amazed when living in Texas how debilitating an ice storm can be compared to a mere snow storm."

For the record... for the southerners.... Chicago was built on a swamp... Major cities in wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and Michigan are right on the lake....it's humid as all hell up here.

There was one thing that made this happen... incompetence. The schools should have been closed for the day. People should have been told to just stay home.

Even with those two mistakes... this could have been saved. You shut down the opposite way of the highway (which was pretty much not being used from the pictures I saw) and you get city busses out there to shuttle the children and elderly out of the area and then start getting the rest.

The problem is when you have people that have no real plan and just assume it'll all work out.

#13 | Posted by captjimmyjames at 2014-01-30 09:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

1 foot here is party time

#14 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-01-30 10:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

Friends in Atlanta say it wasn't the snow that caused most of the problems but the ice. Combine icy streets with a huge influx of traffic (poor planning by state, local and business leaders) and you get a huge mess. It was not limited to Atlanta but cities such as Birmingham and Chattanooga saw the same wreck-strewn gridlock.

#15 | Posted by AKat at 2014-01-31 08:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

2 inches! That much! Heck, don't go near my wife. - Babbles

#16 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-01-31 09:19 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

But man... those southerners seriously can't drive on it.

#8 | POSTED BY ZEROPOINTNRG

#17 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-01-31 09:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

But man... those southerners seriously can't drive on it.

#8 | POSTED BY ZEROPOINTNRG

#18 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-01-31 09:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

There are two kinds of icy road southern drivers ...both are hazards .

The turtles who drive 10 mph down hill , and 15 mph uphill causing 50 car backups...then we have the clueless maniacs who tailgate 3 ft off the car ahead looking to dart around like the roads are bare.
It is best to keep the kids home from school, and stay home if you can for the one or two days a year that we get cold weather and icy roads.

#19 | Posted by kerrin57 at 2014-01-31 10:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Come to NJ..Some of the worse drivers in the world. Show them a postcard with snow on it, and their brake lights go on while driving to stores to buy all the milk and bread.

#18 | POSTED BY DREWINNJ AT 2014-01-31 09:27 AM | FLAG: "

Now that's funny right there!

#21 | Posted by hoser at 2014-01-31 04:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

It doesn't matter how prepared you are if you're on the highway during rush hour and a hundred idiots ahead of you have a wreak.

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2014-01-31 06:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by Diablo

Well, the Weather Channel's HQ is in Atlanta, so someone there probably knew what was going on.

#23 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-02-01 09:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

Allow me to clarify. As of Monday, the most accurate forecasts were saying most of the snow would hit south of Atlanta in a line from Macon to Augusta. Totally bizarre. I don't think that area has seen snow in 30 years. They even suggested south Fulton County (which encompasses Atlanta) may get snow but north Fulton would not. On Tuesday morning they were still unsure of how much snow accumulation would occur in the area. Now, officials got a raft of s**t for closing the place down during the first polar vortex and there was little to indicate they should have done so on Tuesday. It really wasn't until Tuesday noon, when the snow started coming down, the weather folk said, "Mmmmm...yeah...it's gonna be bad." At that point, 5 million people got on the roads at the same time and game over. I've spent a lot of time in snowy areas and the roads were as treacherous as I have ever seen. That being said, it is well known that the slightest bit of any type of precipitation causes widespread carnage on the roads. Let this be a reminder that Atlanta is a horrible place to live. Do not move here. The weather sucks. The women are ugly. The food is terrible and there is nothing to do other than sit around and whittle. You should feel comfortable in your decision to remain where you are and stay out of Atlanta. Reporting from the 404, this is Justanoversight for Retort Action News.

#24 | Posted by justanoversight at 2014-02-01 10:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

#23 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

The Cartoon Network's HQ is here too. I'm sure they could have provided a similarly accurate forecast.

#25 | Posted by justanoversight at 2014-02-01 10:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

About 10 years ago the same thing happened in Raleigh so we were prepared this time.

What happens the snow starts coming down so schools release kids people leave work to pick up kids or meet them at home. Now streets are choked with cars. Snow and ice get a bit heavier and city sends out salt trucks and plows but the streets are choked with traffic so the plows and salt trucks can't do their jobs. Then a few idiots have an accident and boom you take 30 min to move 10 feet. That causes people to start running out of gas on the roads and pretty soon you are moving 5 feet in 30 min.

When it happened in Raleigh I was downtown and it took me 4.5 hours to get home. The only reason I made it that fast is when I got about 1/2 mile from the house I pulled into a bank parked and walked the last 1/2 mile. I got home and wife said we were out of stuff so I walked another 1/2 mile to the store bought hot chocolate, beer, bread, and milk. Other stuff too but those are the necessities. Then walked home. On the way back I was passing the same cars that I had walked past after parking my car and they had not moved.

#26 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-01 11:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

That same storm a buddy of mine worked as a pizza delivery guy and was out on a run when the roads started getting choked. He got back to the store after his shift was over. The manager didn't realize at first what was happening so he kept accepting delivery orders then he got pissed at my buddy and accused him of skipping out on his shift.

#27 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-02-01 11:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

A weak Tea Party Governor hobnobbing with the mayor (when they should have have been paying attention to their jobs) crippled Atlanta.

#28 | Posted by e1g1 at 2014-02-01 05:26 PM | Reply | Flag: