Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Documents leaked by former NSA contactor Edward Snowden suggest that spy agencies have a powerful ally in Angry Birds and a host of other apps installed on smartphones across the globe. The documents, published Monday by the New York Times, the Guardian, and ProPublica, suggest that the mapping, gaming, and social networking apps which are a common feature of the world's estimated 1 billion smartphones can feed America's National Security Agency and Britain's GCHQ with huge amounts of personal data, including location information and details such as political affiliation or sexual orientation.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

PunchyPossum

MORE STORIES

The size and scope of the program aren't publicly known, but the reports suggest that U.S. and British intelligence easily get routine access to data generated by apps such as the Angry Birds game franchise or the Google Maps navigation service.

The joint spying program "effectively means that anyone using Google Maps on a smartphone is working in support of a GCHQ system," one 2008 document from the British eavesdropping agency is quoted as saying.

Comments

I had a Tracfone and recently switched to Straighttalk.
Only the yuppies have something to worry about.

#1 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-29 03:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

Nothing to see here.... move along......

Nixon bug two buildings.... impeached....

Obama bugs a whole nation.... corky still loves him....
christwire.org

Its all hearsay I tellya hearsay...... he's touting a new plan Obama is
-Corky

#2 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-01-29 10:18 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

i bet those angry birds are even angrier now, having heard this news...

#3 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-01-29 10:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

True statement: I neither own nor carry a cell phone. I advocate more Americans shunning them. Think of it as a sacrifice in the name of actual freedom, - not mere hypothetical freedom.

#4 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-01-29 03:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

Keep on facebooking, google-searching and gmailing. I'm sure none of that data would ever be used to your detriment. If you can't trust multi-billion dollar corporations that buy and pay for our politicians, who can you trust?

#5 | Posted by censored at 2014-01-29 03:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I had a Tracfone and recently switched to Straighttalk."

So? iPhones can use Straighttalk. Not sure of your point.

#6 | Posted by harry_powell at 2014-01-29 03:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | POSTED BY MODER8 AT 2014-01-29 03:42 PM | FLAG: Not the lawyer you want to try and reach in an emergency.

#7 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-29 03:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#5 | POSTED BY CENSORED AT 2014-01-29 03:50 PM | FLAG:

This is why I do most stuff - particularly online shopping and research for tech or equipment I'm interested in through exactly those mediums, maintaining a perfectly normal internet presence. And otherwise making use of Linux, VPN's, and such.

#8 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-29 04:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Zero: Actually, being hard to reach is part of it. Being a public defender, I don't have to hustle to get clients. I deal with a constant avalanche. But I do have a message machine. I get back to people if and when I choose. I certainly don't want to be receiving cell calls twenty times a day from a client asking if he can get a better deal. (Which is sometimes what I find waiting for me on the answering machine.) I don't want to be fielding calls from the client's mother telling me how innocent her baby is. I don't want to be personally contactable at the whim of others. I want them to be contactable at my whim. For me at least, there is no down side to not owning nor carrying a cell phone.

#9 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-01-29 04:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Obama bugs a whole nation"

Obama forced you to download angry birds?

#10 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2014-01-29 04:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#5 | POSTED BY CENSORED AT 2014-01-29 03:50 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

As if the details of my daily life are that detrimental. Oooohhh today I had lunch at Pasquales. Is that a black helicopter following me?

Hysterics notwithstanding.

Face it, the day to day lives of 95% of Americans just are not that interesting. I am surprised the NSA employees who monitor this stuff are not committing suicide by the dozens due to the sheer boredom of it all.

#11 | Posted by 726 at 2014-01-29 04:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

Freedom to buy movie tickets from their car is what people are interested in.

#12 | Posted by 726 at 2014-01-29 04:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

It seems that it is true that people are willing to sacrifice both privacy and freedom in the name of convenience and passing amusement.

#13 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-01-29 04:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Obama forced you to download angry birds?

#10 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses

I'm sure that is the only way they get information chi. I'm safe.

#14 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-29 04:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I'm sure that is the only way they get information "

Do you mean like getting information via voluntarily aired outbursts on the internets?

#15 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2014-01-29 04:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

As if the details of my daily life are that detrimental. #11 | Posted by 726 at 2014-01-29 04:21 PM

Indeed, "If you have nothing to hide ..." why not let your employer peruse your email, facebook and retort posts at their whim? You don't mind if the government does the same, do you? And you don't mind if the government then publishes this information, do you? And if private individuals then choose to blackball you socially and professionally, that's no problem either, right?

#16 | Posted by censored at 2014-01-29 04:56 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"Documents leaked by former NSA contactor Edward Snowden suggest..."

Good thing they don't actually say that outright. Some people might become paranoid.

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2014-01-29 04:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | POSTED BY MODER8 AT 2014-01-29 04:05 PM | FLAG:

Just busting your balls ;-)

#18 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-29 05:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ever read what many of these apps are accessing? Why does Angry Birds (and a plethora of apps) need the GPS?

#19 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-01-29 05:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

A lot of them link GPS to finding stores near you, the better to optimize ads.

Everything's about the money. Or the spying, apparently.

#20 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-29 06:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

17 | Posted by Corky a

You didnt read the article did you

#21 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-01-29 08:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Each of the first 4 paragraphs uses the term "suggests" at least once in talking about things in which it implies you should be very, very afraid.

I "suggest" that is telling as the it's veracity.

#22 | Posted by Corky at 2014-01-29 10:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

Suckers. The whole internets is one big data collection process designed to make us safe from, get this, not the Russians or chinese, but rather the many of the 58 known species of extraterrestrial agents that are amongst us. Snowdon somehow got through the firewall.

Secret agent man

#23 | Posted by mutant at 2014-01-29 11:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

Besides. The nsa is good for y o u and worth the taxpayer funds to operate.

Bradford Winston the fourth

#24 | Posted by mutant at 2014-01-30 12:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

How much information has everyone just given the government WILLINGLY on your tax filings?
The disconnect among Americans is staggering.

#25 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-30 01:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

WILLINGLY on your tax filings?

#25 | Posted by Diablo

I didn't think not filling in the blanks was optinal.

#26 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-30 11:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

Check out this awesome video that Disney and the NSA did together for children!

www.youtube.com