Friday, January 24, 2014

Texas Gov. Rick Perry signaled Thursday that he's for the decriminalization of marijuana use -- not legalization, but the softening of punishment for pot users in the border state. "As governor, I have begun to implement policies that start us toward a decriminalization" by introducing alternative "drug courts" that provide treatment and softer penalties for minor offenses, Perry said during an international panel on drug legalization at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Oh boy....Afkabl2 is gonna blow a fuse

#1 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-01-24 09:55 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

RINO!

#2 | Posted by censored at 2014-01-24 10:02 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

lol

#3 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-01-24 10:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

This reminds me of when I used to watch pro wrestling as a kid. Hero turns into a villian for no apparent reason.

#4 | Posted by sully at 2014-01-24 10:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

It's really pretty simple. He isn't running for office again and doesn't have to worry about elections. It's kind of like Obama evolving on gay marriage. His position when he first ran was no way no how on gay marriage. He was just like a republican. Then when he ran for re election he had to evolve a little but, not too much b/c there are still democrats that would have been turned off.

#5 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-01-24 10:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

Will that help the Rickster to remember all of the Cabinet level depts he plans to eliminate when he becomes POTUS?

#6 | Posted by tiger150 at 2014-01-24 10:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

Laugh your a**** off libs. It is about time that has been done. Seems to me the libs are the ones these days that want to make everything illegal.

#7 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-24 11:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

" Seems to me the libs are the ones these days that want to make everything illegal."

Not surprising it seems that way to you, of course, but if you ever come up out of your mushroom ranch at the bottom of that ladder sunk into the abandoned missile silo, ask the bartender for "A dose of reality."

#8 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-01-24 11:06 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

dok, you need tyo wake up and look around at who is passing much of the new legsligation to make all kinds of food illegal. How about that NYC?

#10 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-24 11:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

"dok, you need tyo wake up..."

Too funny.

#12 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-01-24 11:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

I'm not going to blow a fuse. You see it's like this. When one of the people I have voted for..( not last time but each other time )...I don't just blindly follow them on every single issue and item...you know like you good ole boys with that obama feller....

#13 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-01-24 12:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

what no anti "pot" rant? evil, evil "pot"???? I'm disappointed.

#14 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-01-24 12:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

14: And surprised!

#15 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-01-24 12:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

what no anti "pot" rant?evil, evil "pot"????I'm disappointed.

#14 | POSTED BY DREWINNJ

Its early. Wait till he gets all liquored up.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-01-24 12:39 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

I honestly hope Texas legalizes marijuana and AFK takes a shot at getting high.

I bet his posts would change their tone immediately.

#17 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-24 12:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

From a poster named Will-22168764 in the comments section in the original article:

Will-22168764
Rank 161

Ricky must've figured out a way to cash in on pot sales. Only real explanation for flaky-boys change of heart.

Ding, ding, ding; We have a winner.

#18 | Posted by madscientist at 2014-01-24 12:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Officially more progressive than Obama.

#19 | Posted by JOE at 2014-01-24 01:11 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#11 | POSTED BY ARACHNIDDUDE

Best post of the day. Newsworthy as Rush's pointy ------- on a frigid day in Puerto Rico.

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-01-24 01:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

#17...I can see him going in the store, and asking "Can I get some pot?"....hahahahahaha. Guy behind counter bursts out laughing.

#21 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-01-24 01:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Officially more progressive than Obama.
#19 | POSTED BY JOE

True! But only for now. Let's see who B. Hussein Obama puts in as Drug Czar once Grand Prince Kerlikowski makes his way to the Customs and Border Protection: fusion.net

This could be the big move we criminal justice reformers have been waiting for under Obama's reign. Now that states have proven the will to take the ultimate step, and Obama has been willing to vocalize the reality of marijuana, we very well could anticipate a new drug czar that takes a legitimate stance in reforming marijuana laws federally. IOW, it could be the necessary step to take in order to reschedule marijuana, which is the best thing we can hope for federally.

#22 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-01-24 01:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

I think decriminalizing most drugs is a good step. Putting users in prison is not the right solution.

#23 | Posted by LEgregius at 2014-01-24 01:53 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Hopefully this means more young adults will be getting high and fornicating on AfkaBabble's front lawn.

#24 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2014-01-24 01:58 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

I honestly hope Texas legalizes marijuana and AFK takes a shot at getting high.
I bet his posts would change their tone immediately.

#17 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

..and start to make sense? Nah.

#25 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-01-24 02:03 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

I honestly hope Texas legalizes marijuana and AFK takes a shot at getting high.
I bet his posts would change their tone immediately.

#17 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

..and start to make sense? Nah.

#26 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-01-24 02:03 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

It may calm his nerves enough so he can write a grammatically correct sentence in all lower case with only the first letter of each sentence capitalized.

That alone is enough reason to legalize marijuana.

#27 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-01-24 02:10 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Clown, that's some funny s***.

#28 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-01-24 02:18 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Locally, Perry has been kinda wishy-washy on the subject. There were two bill last session, one for further decriminalization and another for medical use. Neither made it to the floor for debate. With a little help from Perry either could have, at least, made it that far. But alas, no. Here's hoping for the next session.

#29 | Posted by et_al at 2014-01-24 02:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

I was running for President.

But then I got high...

#30 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-01-24 09:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

".I don't just blindly follow them on every single issue and item..."

yea... sometimes (very few and far between) they actually make sense and how can you agree with that?

you are 100% consistent.

#31 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-01-24 11:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

"It's kind of like Obama evolving on gay marriage."

If Obama is evolving why are his ears so big?

#32 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-25 03:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

If Obama is evolving why are his ears so big?

#32 | POSTED BY DIABLO

That is classified. Do you have a need to know?

#33 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-01-25 12:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

Perry at a press conference on decriminalizing pot:

"I am going to decriminalize all three kinds of pot. Indica, and then there is that thar Sativa and then that thar ummmm err. And I forgot the third one.

OOPS."

#34 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-01-25 12:22 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

It's full speed ahead getting ready for November!

#35 | Posted by fresno500 at 2014-01-25 05:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sounds like a good idea for small consumer use quantities. But hopefully Perry goes further and makes state aid benefits contingent on passing a drug test. If the idea is to free up jail cells, reduce taxpayer costs etc... then making drug tests mandatory for welfare section 8 etc makes sense. Make it mandatory for firearms purchases as well. Even driver licenses.

#36 | Posted by aescal at 2014-01-25 08:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

This makes total sense... for the users (not the sellers). The dealer still needs heavy penalties and jail time

kind of like (my understanding of) torrent - it was legal to download, but illegal to upload.

I also think drug testing is also a good idea for employment, welfare, firearms, and maybe even school scholarships. After all, it is still a crime.... even if only a lesser crime.

#37 | Posted by jpz at 2014-01-26 12:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

What if if becomes legalized? I know all that's being proposed here (I'm in el grande state of Tejas) is decriminalization, but I'd bet my left nut that in my lifetime (I'm 34) it will be legal nationwide. And if it becomes legal, will it be any different than alcohol? My personal view is those who drink are no different than those who smoke. Those who drink all the time are drunks. Those who smoke all the time are potheads. Those who do either in moderation, are, well, normal.

And just because I'm in an educating kind of mood, your understanding of torrent is inaccurate. Plenty have been prosecuted for downloading files illegally. As in thousands. The penalty may be more severe for the original uploader, but all involved are engaging in illegal activity. In fact, the way torrent works, everyone is both an uploader and a downloader. Hence the "torrent" of information. It's just that those who have finished their download and remain in the stream are seeding the file in it's entirety. But all upload at some point.

#38 | Posted by JuicyJMillions at 2014-01-26 05:31 AM | Reply | Flag: