Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Pentagon on Wednesday relaxed its rules governing the religious apparel and facial hair that troops can wear or maintain while in uniform, permitting in some cases tattoos, body piercings and other religious items. The new policy will allow service members to sport different kinds of religious garb and hairstyles so long as they don't have an "adverse effect on military readiness, mission accomplishment, unit cohesion, and good order and discipline." The Pentagon stressed that religious apparel that "impairs" the safe operation of weapons, poses a safety hazard to others, or interferes with special equipment like helmets and flak jackets will not be permitted.

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

boaz

MORE STORIES

Comments

I'm glad I'm retired.

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2014-01-22 02:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

"The Department of Defense places a high value on the rights of members of the Military Services to observe the tenets of their respective religions and the rights of others to their own religious beliefs, including the right to hold no beliefs."

Pants on fire!

#2 | Posted by KBM at 2014-01-22 03:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Can a Pastafarian where a spaghetti strainer on his head instead of a hat now?

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2014-01-22 03:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

The DOD isn't the only ones spreading the BS:

"DHS: 'We Effectively and Sensibly Enforce Our Nation's Immigration Laws'"

#4 | Posted by KBM at 2014-01-22 03:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm glad I'm retired.

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2014-01-22 02:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

I imagine Boaz getting a Rambo-esque visit from an old commanding officer one day: "Your country needs you Boaz, you're the only one who can pull this off, what do you say, one last mission?....."

#5 | Posted by Sully at 2014-01-22 03:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

5: Only if he can do that cool exploding-arrow thing...

#6 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-01-22 03:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

And we get to call him Blackbo.

#7 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-01-22 03:49 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Guess we don't have to call them "uniforms" anymore. I sense a host of pseudo-religions popping up in response: Wrinkletarians: The religion that views ironing as persecution of wrinkles. Shaggists: The religion that worships the dress and grooming standards of Norbert "Shaggy" Rogers. Toejamarians: The religion that forbids enclosing one's feet in boots.

So stupid....

#8 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-01-22 04:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

I highly doubt they will need an Information Management Officer with a gut.

#9 | Posted by boaz at 2014-01-22 07:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

I highly doubt they will need an Information Management Officer with a gut.
#9 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Don't sell yourself short, BO! That just be exactly what they need in the Snowden/Manning world that we now live in.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-01-22 07:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

*might be

#11 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-01-22 07:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

What about a religion with tenets for how others should be dressed? Like say I'm an ardent and passionate follower of Malsi, a religion that demands I partake daily of bacon or some other gift of the porcine, and that women should behave as whorishly and walk around as unclothed as possible (weather permitting. Our god is really laid back and reasonable. Kind of like Lebowski, but more omnidudent.)

If they're willing to expand this and meet my demands at least halfway (not all women need be unclothed, just the attractive ones) I'm totally reenlisting.

#12 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-22 11:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | Posted by sames1 at 2014-01-23 12:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

The same philosophies that have been used daily by the media to divide America's cohesiveness as a nation will inevitably tend to fragment the military.

With whom did this idea for expression of religious identity originate?

#14 | Posted by Robson at 2014-01-23 08:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

...
14 | Posted by Robson

You summed it up perfectly, Robson, and said everything I was thinking. This is the beginning of the end for a strong, unified military. They'll no longer identify themselves as Marines, Army, Navy, etc. but will self-segregate and identify more strongly as various religious groups within one unit. It will soon turn to loyalties being more along the order of religious "gang-think" than as one undivided group. Bad idea from the get-go.

#15 | Posted by CalifChris at 2014-01-23 09:18 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 5

Tattoos? I thought it was almost a right of passage to get tattooed in the service.

#16 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-01-23 09:20 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I thought it was almost a right of passage to get tattooed in the service."

You mean like urethrotomy as a rite of passage among some of our Australian, African, South American, Polynesian and Melanesian brethren?

#17 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-01-23 09:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Why not...they relaxed the rules to let a fool and liar in as Commander in Chief."

Relax, Bush has been gone for a while, leave him alone.

#18 | Posted by TheRef65 at 2014-01-23 09:28 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

#17 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis

Something like that but not really. Plenty of tattooed servicemen and women already out that there tattooed while IN the service.

And I honestly had to look that one up...

#19 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-01-23 09:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

So did I

#20 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-01-23 10:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

I find it odd that Cons object to this. Aren't you the ones always crowing about the individual and not cow-towing to the group mentality? You should be praising this to high heaven. Isn't anything less the persecution of religion?

#21 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-01-23 02:22 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

the us military should be for heterosexusl white christian males only.

the libs have allowed blacks, gays girls and muslims into the ranks and we haven't won a war since.

sincerely, nerf herder, keeper of the right wing supremacist flame.

#22 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-01-23 03:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I find it odd that Cons object to this. Aren't you the ones always crowing about the individual and not cow-towing to the group mentality?"

I'm a "Con" who served a career in the military and I can tell you that you can't have an effective, cohesive team where everybody "does his own thing" as you LIBS have everyone doing. We always thought we would operate as an effective unit to undergo hardships together to make it safe for those of you who want to do weird stuff and go off in different directions to exercise your rights to be stupid. It's important to realize that we don't think the same rules and restrictions that are placed on us in the military should apply to those in civilian life, especially our "progressive" friends in civilian life. We all know that most most of you are much too ignorant to understand any rules and regulations are important anyway. That's why so many of you wash out and can't make it through boot camp.

#23 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-01-23 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

jest is right. i too served in the military-- 82 consecutive years on the front line combat zone with only a couple of gold plated colt revolvers and a rusty standard issue sabre to defend myself.

you can't trust LIBS. they've been nothing but trouble, whether it is freeing the slaves and giving them the right to assemble and organize in northern industrial cities, allowing women to vote and wear loose fitting undergarments, etc.

lord i wish it was 1861 again.

#24 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-01-23 06:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

That's why so many of you wash out and can't make it through boot camp.

#23 | POSTED BY JESTGETTINALONG

Actually, I served 3 years USMC. Anything else you're wrong about?

#25 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-01-23 09:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

POSTED BY JESTGETTINALONG

Anything else you're wrong about?

Other than everything, not really.

#26 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-01-23 10:39 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Of course, if you have other priorities, or won't take a blood test, that's cool too, right Jest?

I mean, it worked okay for Bush and Cheney. Not like that elitist liberal Kerry, who only got a chestful of medals for being brave, not dodging the draft.

#27 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-01-23 10:41 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I'm glad I'm retired.

#1 | Posted by boaz

As are we all.

#28 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-01-23 10:42 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I'm glad I'm retired.

Why?

Oh, that's right. Because freedom of religion only applies to Christian whiners watching their grasp on the majority slowly slip away.

None too quickly IMO.

The only argument I would find valid is that much like freedom of speech, freedom of religion (and other Constitutional rights) aren't applied for the reasons mentioned-cohesiveness and uniformity. However, I think Chris' doom and gloom predictions aren't necessarily close to reality.

#29 | Posted by jpw at 2014-01-24 12:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

I sense a host of pseudo-religions popping up in response

I sense (smell?) a giant pile of bull[...].

Unless this was tongue in cheek, I think you should consider your necessary use of hyperbole to be a good sign your argument sucks.

#30 | Posted by jpw at 2014-01-24 12:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

They did? What were the requirements, prior to Obama of course, for the POTUS to be CiC?

#31 | Posted by jpw at 2014-01-24 12:53 AM | Reply | Flag:

it is not the us army anymore it is the worlds army -that will be hampered by the fact we don't want to offend anyone-we will end up the nicest bitch on the cell block

#32 | Posted by lastomykind at 2014-01-24 10:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | Posted by CalifChris

That is the same thing libs have been doing to the general public for years here in the good old USA. We are no longer the 'melting pot' we once were.

#33 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-24 11:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

We are no longer the 'melting pot' we once were.
#33 | Posted by Sniper

#34 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-01-24 11:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

And all of them are progressive libs, dok. You finaly posted the truth that wasn't a C&P from someone else..

#35 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-24 11:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

#30 "unless this was tongue in cheek"....

YA THINK? Was it the names of the pseudo-religions that gave it away, Einstein?

#36 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-01-24 11:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Oh, of course we are. And we've still lot loads of nativist nincompoops who have to be dragged into it kicking and screaming."

Doc's right...I saw all of them gathered around Hollywood and Vine and swarming all over Haight and Ashbury in San Francisco. They were doped up up, kicking, screaming, and lemme tell you, they were some kind of melted down. Is that the "melting pot" you're talking about, Doc?

#37 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-01-24 11:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I saw all of them gathered around Hollywood and Vine and swarming all over Haight and Ashbury in San Francisco."

It's always helpful, getting some input from a cosmopolitan citizen of the world.

#38 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-01-24 11:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

"They'll no longer identify themselves as Marines, Army, Navy, etc. but will self-segregate and identify more strongly as various religious groups within one unit."

Hmmm...I wonder how many Major Hasan's with beards will be assigned to each unit? I think that would make me more nervous than a center on a Greek football team.

#39 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-01-24 11:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

#37 | Posted by jestgettinalong

Two of them were dok. He got melted.

#40 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-24 11:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Two of them were dok. He got melted."

He's a leader of the Melted Pot Brigade. Here he is during a training exercise with his shock troops:

www.zombietime.com

#41 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-01-24 11:49 AM | Reply | Flag:

#39 | Posted by jestgettinalong
#40 | Posted by Sniper
#41 | Posted by jestgettinalong

"Obsession," no longer just your perfume of choice.

#42 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2014-01-24 11:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

My religion requires that I keep a consistent level of THC in my system so that I can be in constant contact with my higher power. I am sure they can respect that tenet of my religion, too. Right?

Right?

#43 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-01-24 12:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Everyone in the military has freedom to pray to whoever they choose. But it doesn't say we have to let them dress anyway they please. Not all rights translate while you are in military service.

#44 | Posted by boaz at 2014-01-24 06:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

If the religions aren't obvious crocks like wicca or scientology I see no reason to object.

#45 | Posted by Tor at 2014-01-25 12:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

"This is counter to everything the military attempts to do with its forces, from the first day of basic training, which is to eliminate individualism and anything that would be divisive or weaken force cohesiveness."

The Monseigneur at my church just before we moved from the town was Papa Reardon, the Catholic chaplain on Guadalcanal (Youngsters please Wiki that before making disrespectful fools of yourselves). He suffered from malaria.
When he died, I was living far away but followed what the Marines of all, no or in between belief did to honor him.
Reardon could have been replaced by an ultra-orthodox Rabbi, a new age ditz, a Moslem emir....when you are under fire religion becomes very real but more than that, a common concern.
From the words I quoted above, I guess Reardon should not have been allowed on the island!
The parish was Sacred Heart in Bloomfield, NJ.

#46 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-25 03:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

But [freedom of prayer] doesn't say we have to let them dress anyway they please.

Nor does the policy. See if you can translate it into everyday unit practice, Major.

#47 | Posted by et_al at 2014-01-25 04:11 AM | Reply | Flag: