Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Google Glass user describes, in a story that has been verified, how he was pulled out of a movie showing because he was wearing the device: "Because I don't want Glass to distract me during the movie, I turn them off (but since my prescription lenses are on the frame, I still wear them). About an hour into the movie (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit), a guy comes near my seat, shoves a badge that had some sort of a shield on it, yanks the Google Glass off my face and says 'follow me outside immediately' ..."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

johnny_hotsauce

MORE STORIES

Forget about Homeland Security, we've got corporate profits to protect! What a stupid waste of DHS resources.

Comments

DHS protecting movie copyright?

#1 | Posted by ichiro at 2014-01-21 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

DHS are some of the most worthless human beings on Earth. They deserve less respect than your average McDonalds employee.

#2 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake at 2014-01-21 04:31 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

I thought it was the FBI. This is why Google Glasses will not go mainstream. You can watch the watchers who watch everything and record it for posterity. Definitely a threat to the police state.

#3 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-01-21 05:19 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

That's why I use an app called Bambuser. It streams what it records directly to the cloud so even if my phone were stolen/confiscated I still have access to the video.

I just start the app, put it in my shirt pocket with the camera facing out over the top of the pocket and I've got instant documentation of any encounter that I feel warrants it.

#4 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2014-01-21 05:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 5

#2 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake

Completely agree.

#5 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-01-21 10:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 Does that video file still belong to you, or is it in the public domain or to Bambuser? Is it obvious that the app is running and once it is running are you recording? I could research this myself but if you as a user knew off-hand.

#6 | Posted by Robson at 2014-01-22 12:53 AM | Reply | Flag:

Yea! i posted (1st?) about Google Glass

Everybody is freaked out about them, DESPISE them, you should too, 'cause of imminent
potential of your being video'd. And you do have a right to OWN your product, your image,
your identity.

i guess the police should be freaked out the MOST.

ok, the perp in the movie theater said he'd applied for the Glass & got
one, so i guess they ain't being marketed yet. this will get interesting.

HE had The Glass on for the prescription lenses & was not stealing the movie.

#7 | Posted by kenx at 2014-01-22 02:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

I agree DHS is a waste, but the linked story depends too much on "a friend of a friend tells me" authenticity.

#8 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-22 02:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe if he wasn't such a pretentious [...] (rhymes with duck) he'd have real glasses without his glass to wear in movies.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2014-01-22 03:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

your identity.

Actually I find this a valid concern, with one condition. Anyone more informed, please correct me.

If someone has their Glass set up on wifi, could this not provide a large crowd of mobile security cameras accessible by law enforcement?

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2014-01-22 03:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

Alas, true, JPW. This is what we have come to as a society.
But I suggest (not being an expert in such matters) the burden of protecting the movie is on the company producing it after a point....a point we have obviously passed by now. When you can sit in a bar and have someone walk in selling bootlegs of first run flicks for $5 (happens all the time in this area) then something is wrong with the whole distribution system.

#11 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-01-22 03:18 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I agree.

Also, if I sent you cash (small amounts of course), could you send me movies?

That doesn't seem to be a popular business model here.

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2014-01-22 03:21 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"...why Google Glasses will not go mainstream. You can watch the watchers who
watch everything and record it for posterity. Definitely a threat to the police state."

"I guess the police $hould be fre@ked out the most."

LiH

#13 | Posted by kenx at 2014-01-22 04:01 AM | Reply | Flag:

#2 ..good thing they've been stockpiling ammunition, huh?

#14 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-01-22 07:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

I have no problem with Google Glass in public. My issue would be someone wearing it if they were in my house.

#15 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-01-22 08:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

Also, if I sent you cash (small amounts of course), could you send me movies?

What you don't have torrent and a DVD burner? Or skip the burning step and just go HDMI out.

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-01-22 08:49 AM | Reply | Flag:

TAO,

BitTorrent and a Media Center connected to HDMI is the way to go. I have over 1500 movies that I watch that way. I have a screen and media center in every room that connects to my storage server.

#17 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-01-22 09:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

DHS protecting movie copyright?
#1 | Posted by ichiro at 2014-01-21 04:12 PM |

This, in connection with the government's 100 mile constitution-free zone which it uses to justify warrantless searches of the computers and persons of two-thirds of our populace, bodes well for the corporations wishing to better manage the American people. The Supremes recently declared that corporations are people, but corporations have been lords and masters, and we merely serfs, for quite some time now.

#18 | Posted by censored at 2014-01-22 09:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

#19 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-22 10:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

So................ WTF does dhs have to do with recording a movie? It don't make any sense.#19 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-22 10:15 AM |

ICE deals with piracy and is part of DHS.

#20 | Posted by censored at 2014-01-22 10:31 AM | Reply | Flag:

Censored is correct. It doesn't get abused much but it can be.

And this guy is a gadget guy - I don't know why people like JPW automatically think that is 'pretentious' or 'arrogant'. Some of us just love tech and love to use it. I used to be one of those people. Now it just scares the bejeezus out of me because how impacting on privacy it is.

But I don't get this utter BS with DHS being involved in this or his treatment. It has nothing to do with "Homeland Security". It is a matter for local Police or the FBI. I don't see how this would be a DHS investigation. I am really wondering if the guy was really there investigating or just wanted to take it upon himself because he seen Google Glasses? I get what the victim was saying. Why take it so far without checking to see if he really was recording? Unless you are a self important -----. You are always best to say Lawyer and then shut up. The problem is even when you are innocent they bully you in interrogation. I have to admit I would probably say look and see if I did anything. I would probably have a serious attitude and demand it. I just don't scare like I used to. If they want to get physical there is the Federal Tort Claims Act ("FTCA") - make their life hell in return.

Frankly we have way too many agencies 'policing' the American people now: FBI, DEA, DHS etc. Honestly DHS may be the most scary of them given it's nature.

I simply don't understand why we need so many agencies to begin with. It just adds to the staffing of the Government Juggernaut.

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-01-22 11:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

ICE deals with piracy and is part of DHS.

#20 | Posted by censored

I didn't realize that - to me the question is why is ICE part of DHS???

#22 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-01-22 11:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | Posted by Diablo

There are links within the story to other stories and authors. It is a legitimate story.

#23 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-01-22 11:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

I ask again, WTF does dhs and ice have to do with someone in a movie theater?

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is the principal investigative arm of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

#24 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-22 12:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

As a total tech geek, what I found most alarming was the venom in the linked article's comments section against Glass users. The number of people absolutely convinced they will show up in a bathroom recording is amazing, and shows a complete disconnect from the knowledge that there are far more effective and less obtrusive ways of doing unethical things like that already out there.

I'm also shocked at every part of how this story was supposedly handled. Glass has extremely limited battery life. These DHS people are supposed to be enforcing (and that's it's own issue) copyright law now supposedly, but don't even understand the relevant tech?

Final comment. When "Homeland Security" enforcement is no longer about safety but rather using federal agents to arrest and detain people at the behest of corporations, we have truly crossed a boundary into totalitarian fascism. The very definition of it. Not some hyperbole. The actual definition.

#25 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-22 12:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

And I just keep asking WTF does homeland security have to do with copyright law? I thought a person that held something that was copyrighted had to bring charges against the thief. WTF are the dhs --------- doing crusing the movie theaters looking for peweeie herman?

#26 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-22 01:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

What do you think it has to do with sniper? As in, do you really need to ask? Fatherland Security has their marching orders, and under those, Corporate interests are now "national interests." The end result of right wing policy has arrived. Right wing love of authoritarian government, police and military worship, phobia about national security, and placement of business above people - it's all there, intersecting. We are a effectively a corporatocracy. Fascism.

#27 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-22 03:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

Was never big into downloading movies.

Or even music for that matter.

And the only computer I had with an HDMI out was fried.

#28 | Posted by jpw at 2014-01-22 03:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | POSTED BY ROBSON

It still belongs to me. I can make it so it is only available by password or that it is openly available to anyone who knows my URL. It also creates a copy on my phone and I can download a copy from the website.

There is no evidence that it is recording. The good thing about Bambuser is that it keeps recording even if your screen is off. Other products that I've looked at stop recording when you turn your screen off. I can act like I'm checking a text message, launch the app, turn off the screen and put it back in my pocket.

I qualify all of this by saying I use it on a rooted Android device running stock Android. I can't say it would work on the same on an iphone or other android device that may be locked down or modified by the vendor.

#29 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2014-01-22 03:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

Some how this current government in power isn't rightwing so the comment was idiotic.

Obama however has shown clearly that our rights are not in his interest and the democrat party is following along nicely.

#30 | Posted by moneywar at 2014-01-22 03:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | Posted by zeropointnrg

I guess what it is telling me is we are living in a damn police state.

Are you sorry now that Lincoln made the feds all powerfull?

#31 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-22 03:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

#30 | POSTED BY MONEYWAR AT 2014-01-22 03:43 PM | FLAG:

Having a "D" after your name doesn't make you left wing, particularly with how far the right has dragged their goal posts over the years, while the Dem's have scrambled to keep up for fear of being seen as "too liberal."

Obama is about even with Reagan on the political spectrum. And likewise equally sold out to special interests.

#32 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-22 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

And yes, I admit that view point is from my far-left set of values where liberal and libertarian start to intersect.

#33 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-01-22 04:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

The department of homeland security is a fascist terrorist organization. The sheeple are imbeciles for tolerating its existence. Same goes for the fbi,cia,nsa,etc.

#34 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-01-22 04:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Are you sorry now that Lincoln made the feds all powerfull?
#31 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-22 03:55 PM | Reply

I find your premise confusing since it was the South that fought for the right to own other human beings. Presumably, had the South won, corporations would currently be living it up enslaving African Americans at will while Whites attempted to find a way to compete with slaves for jobs. Assuming that you are correct in blaming Lincoln for the corporate domination of our society, though, I guess being hassled by the feds for wearing a camera on one's eyeglasses is a small price to pay for banishing de jure slavery.

#35 | Posted by censored at 2014-01-22 05:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Stay the hell away from police when you're wearing any obvious tech. That, and absolutely share any and all film to help others avoid paying for the absolute pleasure of a 3 hour federal police interrogation extravaganza. I have a really hard time imagining how to not be pointed and verbally expose their technological ineptitude, let alone permit whatever they "observe" as evidence. I would love to see the keystone agents sued into personal debt, if possible. Realistically, their agencies would be covered by the taxpayer, so that takes any enjoyment out of that proposition.

Maybe also ask which member of theater management called for backup?

#36 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-01-22 10:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Not arrogant, just pretentious.

When one has one and only one pair of glasses with the newest, hottest gadget attached to it permanently, I think that's pretentious.

A way of saying "look at me!".

#37 | Posted by jpw at 2014-01-22 11:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

TBO I can't even think of a valid reason why anyone would use them for recording a movie in the first place.

The head is one giant pivot in almost constant motion, watching something recorded on that for a long period of time would drive anyone nutso.

#38 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-01-23 09:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

A way of saying "look at me!".

#37 | POSTED BY JPW

Or a way to evaluate and use a product that's primary usage is outside the home.

#39 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-01-23 09:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

Obama is about even with Reagan on the political spectrum.

#32 | Posted by zeropointnrg

WTF are you smoking?

#40 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-23 12:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

#35 | Posted by censored

Maybe you should learn a little "real" history. Read some of Lincoln's early speeches.

The relative unimportance of slavery as a cause for war was made clear by Lincoln himself during his campaign for the Presidency in 1860, and he repeated that message in his first inaugural address:

"Apprehension seems to exist among the people of the Southern States that by the accession of a Republican administration then- property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered.... I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it now exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

Even after the outbreak of war in 1861, Lincoln confirmed his previous stand. He declared:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could do it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that."

I do hope that helps.

#41 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-01-23 12:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why would these morons be so dismissive of this guy when he's saying it would take 5 mins to demonstrate his innocence? Do they want to waste everyone's time including their own? It just doesn't make any sense. These idiots wouldn't last two months in the private sector.

#42 | Posted by Sully at 2014-01-23 01:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

#42 | POSTED BY SULLY

I would say "most of" the private sector. I recent ended a contract with a big insurance company that pissed more money away on a flawed project than I ever imagined could be pissed away in a fortune 500 company. Talking close to 100mil in 3.5 years and it's still another 2 or so years before it will be complete.

They started with a 45 million budget. Very poor planning, which was surprising in a company that size.

#43 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-01-23 04:16 PM | Reply | Flag: